Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Finally: The Mighty Stoopid Demo

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Finally: The Mighty Stoopid Demo
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I said I'd release it before my holidays ended, and here I am with 2 days to spare! :D

Download The Mighty Stoopid demo (1.3MB, Windows binary only)

Controls are simple; arrow keys to move, Right Ctrl to attack, Space Bar to jump and continue at dialog box prompts. P to pause. While paused, P again to unpause or Esc to quit.

You can change the screen update method in the main menu; using page flipping or triple buffering gives you hardware accelerated blits which keeps the game at 85 fps for me (screen refresh rate). Double buffering is a lot slower for me. If your computer is much worse than mine (600Mhz) then it may not work too good. Please let me know if there's any problems; my hardware accelerating setup is a little experimental (works fine for me though :)).

I'm going to mention a few little points about the game, just to answer questions that will inevitably pop up. Very minor spoilers, but if you wish to keep yourself pure, go play the game first before reading on.

I guess that's it. I also guess I forgot some stuff, but that'll do for now :) Hit me with your comments; I am ravenous for constructive feedback. Frame rate and system specs would be nice too, btw ...</li>

--
    Software Development == Church Development
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
    Member #3,110
    January 2003

Ugh... about 75 on my computer... must be the refresh rate

Somehow I slid under a dude when he pulled his gun out (he was running the wrong way...) and I went to duck, the bullet went the wrong way! :o

I'll play some more at home though.

[edit] Good thing there was no music, got some DDR music streaming, and right now a 74 minute song is playing.

---
    Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
    MiquelFire.red
    If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Richard Phipps
    Member #1,632
    November 2001

Noooooo!

Quote:

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

:( :'(

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

Quote:

Ugh... about 75 on my computer... must be the refresh rate

Is that a problem? ???

Quote:

Somehow I slid under a dude when he pulled his gun out (he was running the wrong way...) and I went to duck, the bullet went the wrong way!

Could you clarify that? You can pass through most enemies without taking damage (unless they actively attack you), and I've never seen a bullet go the wrong way yet ...

I have a friend who's willing to mirror it, but I want to make sure it works first. Sounds like MB's having no problems, anyway. Well, any other volunteers are welcome.

EDIT: Well, ain't MB a mind reader ::)

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
    Member #3,110
    January 2003

Here
    Hopefully Chris don't mind I mirror his demo for him ;)

[edit] Well, I passed through him and ducked just before that, so when I stopped, I was passed him and the dude was pointing his gun away from me, and the bullet still hit me.

[edit2] Heh, This is the next big free game, why not ;)

---
    Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
    MiquelFire.red
    If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

Can you reproduce it? I assume you were very close to the point of touching ...

Quote:

Heh, This is the next big free game, why not?

Well, the demo is free ;) ...

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
    Member #3,110
    January 2003

I'll see if I can when I get home.

Maybe when I get home I can beat the first level with out losing all my men? :)

Can you use the jump kick on ground targets? or could my timing be off?

---
    MiquelFire.red

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

You can jumpkick the troopers (dudes with guns) and chargers (redheads). A jumpkick and combo will kill a trooper nicely. The guys hiding under the manhole covers (manhole sniper) need to be hit from behind with a trip when they pop up. Oh, and the dudes in the cars (donut drivers) are technically moving platforms; hop on for a ride and kick their heads in :)

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

X-G
    Member #856
    December 2000

We want punch combos!

--
    Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

You have a punch-kick-kick combo for now. Just to show it's working :) And because I'm lazy and recycled the trip :)

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

X-G
    Member #856
    December 2000

Nah, it should be punch-punch-punch-uppercut-fireball ... oooh, and then add a shoryuken move! ;)

--
    Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

I had all sorts of cool combos planned, but no time. This engine lends itself well to the fighter I'm going to make though :) TMS won't get many combos at all, but Oblio in his game will be Bruce fscking Lee ...

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
    Supreme Loser
    January 1999

Richard Phipps
    Member #1,632
    November 2001

Thanks Miquel!

200+ frames for some parts in Double Buffering!
    Nice flexible map structure and smooth animations. But I think that his punch is not far enough away and I often ended up jumping on the trooper hitting him and ending up behind him because of momentum and then getting shot in the back.

Right control is a bit tricky on my keyboard though and it didn't see my joypad. :/

But it's got a lot of potential, really smooth scrolling and gameplay. Keep at it!

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

Matthew: Damn. There's a elusive bug in there I haven't been able to track down yet (this is why I was asking about debuggers). It's about as rare as Mew (I haven't seen it in three days), so just play again for now :)

RP: Yeah, the player's control needs tweaking a bit. It was one of the things I just left for now in favour of releasing a demo within your lifetime :) Sorry it missed your joypad; the game only has the loosest of support right now (doesn't work for the menu or dialogs right now either :P).

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

Pradeepto Bhattacharya
    Member #1,340
    May 2001

:)

Nice work Chris. But why does it stop after that space ship appears. And I cant even go back after that point.

FPS 64 on my system in all cases. ??? My system much higher than 600Mhz its is 2400 MHz.

--
    I vote for Pradeepto. - Richard Phipps
    Hey; Pradeepto's alive! - 23yrold3yrold

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

You can't keep going until you kill the ship. Watch for a gap in the grenade launching, run under (or just be there in the first place) and hit the red spot 10 times. Then you can keep going.

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

aybabtu
    Member #2,891
    November 2002

I get an illegal operation error!

What color depth do you set it to? For some reason, my comp can't handle 16bpp...:(

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

Quote:

For some reason, my comp can't handle 16bpp

Oh yeah; I forgot about that. Hang on; I shall remedy ...

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

aybabtu
    Member #2,891
    November 2002

Just make an exe...I don't wanna spend 6min downloading...:P

Finally...a demo of this much anticipated game...(I've actually wanted to see this!)

Ultio
    Member #1,336
    April 2001

:) I didn't get to play too much, I'm on lunch break. I just got to the big hill where the red-faced guys come to get you. I love how the attacks go - especially the jumping ones :) Yay!

I thought it was really cool - with the guy in the manhole; after you kill him. Very neato. Good way to keep the player surprised ;D

I'd post a much longer review and all that, but it's off to work I go! Maybe when I get back. Good job.

---
    "It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
    http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

MiquelFire
    Member #3,110
    January 2003

[edited out because Chris was able to make a <500KB zip with just the exe]

I wonder how much this will affect my bandwidth? :P Maybe it will take a chunk out of it :P

[edit] my copy of the zip has the 15/16 bpp friendly exe now.

---
    MiquelFire.red

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

16bpp/15bpp friendly EXE attached. I'll update the zip now. Thanks for updating, MB :)

Anyone try it with a joystick yet?

EDIT: Attachment deleted; everyone who needs it has it or can get it from the main zip.

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

aybabtu
    Member #2,891
    November 2002

K3WL!!!1
    18%...25%...30%...34%...40%...52%...58%...64%...
    70%...77%...79%...83%...89%...95%...98%...Done!
    tries it

Cool! Pretty neat...
    Um...I only get 9fps, though?

Just one thing: If you jump over a guy, and they shoot, the bullet goes up, but the gun is still horizontal...I'm sure you've seen this, but I just wanted to make sure!

Otherwise, with some better artwork (:P) it'll be good!

23yrold3yrold
    Member #1,134
    March 2001

Quote:

the bullet goes up, but the gun is still horizontal...

I know; I'm not sure I care to change it yet. If it gets too annoying with the final artwork, I'll do something about it.

Quote:

Um...I only get 9fps, though?

Try a better computer? ;) One of the other screen update methods may help, but if your system sucks (and IIRC, it does) then, uh, sorry :)

Anyone beat the boss yet? The bonus level is where things get really interesting :D

--
    Step 1. Build it.
    Step 2. Pray.

Go to: