Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So, I got this email

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
So, I got this email
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

The letter sounds like a threat and is signed with an Indian name. That guy probably failed phishing 101 :P

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I wonder how Verthex is doing.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

I suppose they are collecting adresses of windows users to sell the list. ;D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well the two things that jumped out at me as that not being wrote by MS or a native English speaking person (besides the name).

Quote:

If you ignore this you will repent later."

Would have been "regret later" or "regret it let".

Quote:

....then send you a cheque.

Instead of check? And then, of course, Melquir Sagayarajan at the bottom. Nothing more than a way to spam emails and the sad part is that a lot of people will actually do what it says whether they believe it or not.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

This email is going to make me rich. I'm going to create a heap of new email addresses and just keep forwarding it to myself. I reckon I could easily make several thousand dollars a day by doing that. Take that, Bill Gates! Not Fakeā„¢.

-----------

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Who exactly is "tracking the email addresses" and how are they doing it?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Who exactly is "tracking the email addresses" and how are they doing it?

This is a sarcastic/rhetorical question, right? This lie just makes it seem that you'll get the money.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This is a sarcastic/rhetorical question, right?

Several people now have said that was the purpose of the email. So I'm wondering how they think it is possible.

These types of emails are usually either:

• a joke with no purpose

• a research/marketing experiment (tracking IPs by external image requests)

• a transport for an attached virus

They are only phishing scams if there is some sort of massive spam follow up asking for personal details. (The hope is that the people on the attackers' huge spam list have gotten the chain letter in the near past from a trusted friend.) This email makes a promise of a future email from "Microsoft," which sounds like a phishing scam is coming. So yes, I'm answering my own question so the others don't think about it too hard. :-X

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I thought Gatesy left Microsoft a couple of years ago.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I thought Gatesy left Microsoft a couple of years ago.

Well, yes, he was working too hard, now he has more time to sit back and think about overall strategy, if only Ballmer would calm down and listen.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Actually "cheque" is ok in the UK, so up yours.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

This thread needs more stylized drawings of David Silverman.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Dizzy Egg said:

so up yours.

That is fairly unique in the queens english. It gets said in Australia too. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I received that same email in the late 90's except it was all text, of course. I fell for it and I'm still waiting for my check.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Some addresses are here:

http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-api/browse_thread/thread/ab4193be27030c8f

(if they are useable when "..." is taken out)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Striker said:

Some addresses are here:

Only because somebody was stupid enough to send it to a public, indexed mailing list. :P

And no, the addresses on that page are not usable unless you go through the CAPTCHA.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Only because somebody was stupid enough to send it to a public, indexed mailing list. :P

Somebody always is. :P
That's one thing I like about GNU Mailman - in my experience, it's excellent at detecting chain letters, and when it does it flags them for moderator approval. Which in turn flags the sender for written and/or verbal abuse from me. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Well, yes, he was working too hard, now he has more time to sit back and think about overall strategy

Except that he's doing more good for the world than your GNU hillbilly idols. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He has you on his payroll, eh? You know perfectly well his half-baked crap has held the IT world back for years, even now Stuxnet is cramming the intertubes with crap.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

At least he doesn't pick warts off his foot and eat them in the middle of a talk!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

No, he just holds his knees and rocks back and forth in a autistic fugue when he's being called on his underhanded ways by the court system.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Neither a ponzi scheme nor a pyramid scheme as they both require investors. That is just a phishing attempt. As you forward that email it is normally Cc'ed to the company that sent it so they have tons of emails to spam with their product later.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

Actually "cheque" is ok in the UK

My wife keeps her cheques in her fanny pack ;D

I just love American/British differences in the language.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

Actually "cheque" is ok in the UK

Yes, but Microsoft is an American company so it would be odd that they would send an email using the UK spelling of check. Secondly, they normally, at least from the emails I received, seldom have a person's name on the bottom like it had.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Whenever I have to deal with Microsoft I go to Paris, and they don't even use American accents let alone American spelling.

1   2   3 

Go to: