Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Love letters - OR - Yet another failed thread about a woman...

Credits go to axilmar, Bruce Perry, Elias, Evert, Felix-The-Ghost, ImLeftFooted, Karadoc ~~, Mark Oates, OICW, SiegeLord, someone972, Trent Gamblin, type568, and van_houtte for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Love letters - OR - Yet another failed thread about a woman...
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I have received your communication. I have to ask you to cease and desist in your efforts to contact me. If you contact me again in any way, I will contact the authorities.

Seems pretty obvious that she's just playing hard to get. I suggest you send her a video of yourself reciting a poem about how much you would enjoy making love to her.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

{"name":"Troll+B+Gone1300806565.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9da0c291f5954ab3e1179fb38f0d3d7c.jpg","w":336,"h":346,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9da0c291f5954ab3e1179fb38f0d3d7c"}Troll+B+Gone1300806565.jpg

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Was this the first song on the mix-cd?

video

Let's guess which tracks made it. :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I know you don't actually care, but here are the playlists anyway :

Disc 1

1 Fearless - Taylor Swift
2 Count On My Love - Liz Phair
3 In The Dark With You - Greg Brown
4 I'm With You - Avril Lavigne
5 4 Real - Avril Lavigne
6 Sparks - Coldplay
7 Phantom Limb - The Shins
8 City Of Blinding Lights - U2
9 Freak Out - Avril Lavigne
10 Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
11 Crazy Love - Van Morrison
12 Feels So Good - Van Halen
13 Mad Dog 20/20 - Teenage Fanclub
14 Everything Reminds Me Of Her - Elliot Smith
15 Pink Cashmere - Prince
16 I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You - Colin Hay
17 Release - Pearl Jam

Disc 2

1 Love Story - Taylor Swift
2 Closer To You - Liz Phair
3 You Found Me - Kelly Clarkson
4 That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
5 Mama, You Been On My Mind - Bob Dylan
6 I Slept All Night By My Lover - Greg Brown
7 Looking Through Patient Eyes - P.M. Dawn
8 On A Limb - Neil Young
9 A Man And A Woman - U2
10 Adore - Prince
11 You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift
12 Marry Me - No Doubt
13 All I want Is You - U2
14 Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince
15 The Best Day - Taylor Swift
16 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2

Disc 3

1  The Girl I Left Behind - Pete Seeger
2  Far Away - The Nadas
3  Now That I Found You - The Nadas
4  Something About Us - Daft Punk
5  Lost Tonight - Liz Phair
6  Diamonds And Pearls - Prince
7  Anything But Ordinary - Avril Lavigne
8  Lullaby - Bond
9  Allegory - Murray Attaway
10  Luna - Smashing Pumpkins
11 Digital Love - Daft Punk
12 Girl Sailor - The Shins
13 Meditation From Thais - Domingues & Ives
14 Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
15 Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
16 You Lay A Whole Lot Of Love On Me - Shania Twain
17 Wish You Were Here - Avril Lavigne
18 Stop Standing There - Avril Lavigne
19 I Better Be Quiet Now - Elliot Smith
20 Feel Better - The Nadas

I think all 3 of them are great CD's, but maybe that's just me. And to everyone who thinks mix CD's are juvenile, I think you're wrong. Good music is a good gift.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

The big mistake is talking about love, about when you were toghether, and specially this:

Quote:

Whether we can be friends or whether we can be more than that again is unknown to me

You're saying there that you'd like something more than friendship... to someone who you haven't seen in 15 years and who is now married. I'd give that 12 points of creepiness out of 10 :-/.

I don't think you're in love either. After 15 years you can't. You just feel nostalgia for some reason now.

<edit>
And the CD's full of love songs. Stop talking about love with her (well, it's too late for that actually :P).

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You're saying there that you'd like something more than friendship... to someone who you haven't seen in 15 years and who is now married.

In my defense, I wrote that part before I knew she was married, and just never edited it out.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

It doesn't work to approach a girl in the same sort of way you'd like to be approached by a girl. We go through our lives in a very different way than them.

1) Women are smaller than men. If it came down to a fight, you'd win. This might seem trivial but you've been bigger your whole life -- you probably haven't felt what it's like to be around someone whose stronger than you and really wants something sexual from you.

2) Some men are overly aggressive. Imagine you're alone with someone who you'd prefer not to sleep with but wants to have sex with you. Imagine now that that person is stronger than you and might not hold back. You can't tell which person will hold back and which wont -- so you're forced to be weary of all of them.

3) Some men will stalk and rape. It doesn't matter that you're a decent citizen. You may even be the type to help an old lady across the street. There are some men who will do awful things. You're in a category of people who do awful things. So even if you're not going to do awful things, a woman must be weary that you might.

The real curve ball of the situation however, is that woman want an authoritative, confident man. Combining the docileness described above with confidence is a fascinatingly complicated pursuit. The docileness definitely comes first.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Disc 1

5 4 Real - Avril Lavigne
6 Sparks - Coldplay
17 Release - Pearl Jam

Disc 2

1 Love Story - Taylor Swift
2 Closer To You - Liz Phair
3 You Found Me - Kelly Clarkson
4 That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
5 Mama, You Been On My Mind - Bob Dylan
6 I Slept All Night By My Lover - Greg Brown
7 Looking Through Patient Eyes - P.M. Dawn
8 On A Limb - Neil Young
9 A Man And A Woman - U2
10 Adore - Prince
11 You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift
12 Marry Me - No Doubt
13 All I want Is You - U2
14 Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince
15 The Best Day - Taylor Swift
16 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2

Disc 3

1 The Girl I Left Behind - Pete Seeger
2 Far Away - The Nadas
3 Now That I Found You - The Nadas
4 Something About Us - Daft Punk
5 Lost Tonight - Liz Phair
6 Diamonds And Pearls - Prince
7 Anything But Ordinary - Avril Lavigne
8 Lullaby - Bond
9 Allegory - Murray Attaway
10 Luna - Smashing Pumpkins
11 Digital Love - Daft Punk
12 Girl Sailor - The Shins
13 Meditation From Thais - Domingues & Ives
14 Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
15 Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
16 You Lay A Whole Lot Of Love On Me - Shania Twain
17 Wish You Were Here - Avril Lavigne
18 Stop Standing There - Avril Lavigne
19 I Better Be Quiet Now - Elliot Smith
20 Feel Better - The Nadas

:-X:-[ Dude. There's your problem right there. Music shapes the way you think.

You need some of this:

video

8-)8-)8-)

Best hip-hop album ever made.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Listen to our Canadian friends:

video

:-/

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Good music is a good gift.

That's it, I know why she's mad at you. She works for the Music Publishers Association and felt betrayed that you copied music without paying for it. Perhaps buy and send her a copy of "100 Greatest Love Songs" as a gesture of goodwill ;D

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Something else to discuss:

Let's suppose that your letters weren't creepy, sickly and pitiable, and instead you were the very personification of charm. Let's also suppose that you were able to convince her to leave her husband. Do you think this would be acceptable?

Personally I find the act of going after a married woman as something absolutely loathsome. I've seen men who I've respected, men who should have known better, pursue married woman and cause broken families, and no end of pain and bitterness. Invariably they have managed to skew their perspective on the situation into something that makes their actions justifiable.

So yes, I confess that I take some satisfaction in seeing your attempt at this fall flat on its face.

If we then couple this with the fact that you broke up with her by ignoring her, which in my books is a particularly nasty type of emotional abuse, then you'll have to forgive me for having zero sympathy for you.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

As usual I'm late for this and I don't even have time to read the whole thread, but from what I did read (including the actual letters you posted in one of the replies) it looks to me like you managed to do the exact opposite of what you intended. Look at all this from her perspective. After all those years maybe she still thinks of you from time to time, or maybe she doesn't. Maybe she regretted the fact that it didn't happen for you two, maybe she didn't. Either way your letters convinced her it was actually a good thing you broke up with her because you turned out to be a creepy stalker kind of guy. She may be disappointed with you if she still had good memories of you, but most of all I she's now releived she dodged a bullet and is glad she didn't end up with you. On top of that she's also concerned about her safety and the safety of her family, ergo the threats with police. You should let it go. Even if there was a chance for you to come to terms with her, appologize for your actions and get some closure, you fucked it all up with those letters. Accept that and let it go.

--
sig used to be here

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

miran said:

appologize for your actions and get some closure

Don't say that, you know what's going to happen: He starts to write a simple one line letter saying "sorry, I didn't realise I was causing distress, goodbye", and ends up with a 10 page dissection of his three letters, some pictures of him saying sorry and a dvd mix-up of goodbye songs (followed by a 2 year internet ban and 3 months in jail) :P

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Sounds like good material for a new thread. :-X

Nah.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Don't say that, you know what's going to happen:

You misread what miran wrote...

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

You misread what miran wrote...

Ah, yes, punctuation. To make it clear, I'm not saying he should appologize to get closure, I'm saying he missed that chance already.

I did eventually read all the replies. ;D Someone up there has the perfect advise: burn everything and forget about her! And don't talk about it either, especially don't try to let her know about it, just do it. Destroy everything that has anything to do with her (I'm sure Matthew can easily delete this thread as well if asked nicely) and never think about her again.

--
sig used to be here

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

You should listen to me, I'm actually a good life coach.

Next time, don't give it all away all at once, leave some for the imagination and let yourself be mysterious. You f0cked up by tellling her WAAAAYYY too much. A nice casual card with little information, 'just saying hi' type of card would have done the trick. You tried to romance a (what I think) happily married woman thru a letter...letters are never the right approach. If you had taken the mysterious and friendly path you might have gotten further, possibly into the friend zone. Or who knows elsewhere.

Next time you have any such issues think twice and click on the link in my signature.

It is better the try and fail than it is not to not try and fail. At least you tried and I give props to that.

Quote:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” - Theodore Roosevelt

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Disclamer: Haven't actually read the letters and the bamccaig's wall of text.

1. Was I wrong trying to contact her and make amends after 15 years apart?

2. All I ever asked of her was to forgive me and to speak to me. All I wanted was to know how she's been and how she is now. Is this an unreasonable request to make of someone I used to be involved with, someone I took to my Senior Prom?

3. Is my behaviour immoral or illegal? What if I sent her one last letter to say goodbye? Could I go to jail?

Short answers to all three are no. But I'll elaborate a bit more. It's not wrong to contact somebody after 15 years, it's not unreasonable to ask for forgiveness, but you have to do it the right way:

If you must send a letter, then it should be very short:"Hey, I came across a picture of us while going through some old stuff. I want to apologize for the way I left things. Hope you are doing well. If you wish to get in touch with me, here's my contact info."

So, now please pause for a moment, try to get some perspective on what you've done. I wouldn't call it stalking, but certainly those letters were weird and creepy, though you've meant no harm. As Evert, I think, pointed out you've made a mistake everybody did, most of us in puberty, however it can happen later. What is now important is to take a lesson from that and try not to repeat that mistake:

• You've fucked up, admit it and get over it (probably even by burning all things that could possibly remind her). And do not even think of writing any apology/goodbye letter.

• Don't dissect your past, it's not worth it. You could sit the whole day going over and over past things and how you could do them better, but it's not going to change anything.

• If you're ever to write a letter for a long time no see friend of you be quick and to the point. Don't repeat your current mistake and dissect your feelings or whatever. If they don't reply, you can always try to send one more letter in case the first did not arrive, but don't get jumpy for not getting a reply. You can end up not getting any. In that case just forget it and move on.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Thanks for this wonderful thread, i had a good time reading it (rolling on the floor laughing)

And i have the solution for you, Edgar! Follow these steps:

- undertake the travel these 1000 miles to her.

- look at her. I bet you don`t want her anymore. Because most womens change a lot in 15 years and anyway you are in love with your picture in mind and not with the real person.

- if you still want her you can try to give her a 1000 dollar diamond ring.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

It doesn't work to approach a girl in the same sort of way you'd like to be approached by a girl. We go through our lives in a very different way than them.

1) Women are smaller than men. If it came down to a fight, you'd win. This might seem trivial but you've been bigger your whole life -- you probably haven't felt what it's like to be around someone whose stronger than you and really wants something sexual from you.

2) Some men are overly aggressive. Imagine you're alone with someone who you'd prefer not to sleep with but wants to have sex with you. Imagine now that that person is stronger than you and might not hold back. You can't tell which person will hold back and which wont -- so you're forced to be weary of all of them.

3) Some men will stalk and rape. It doesn't matter that you're a decent citizen. You may even be the type to help an old lady across the street. There are some men who will do awful things. You're in a category of people who do awful things. So even if you're not going to do awful things, a woman must be weary that you might.The real curve ball of the situation however, is that woman want an authoritative, confident man. Combining the docileness described above with confidence is a fascinatingly complicated pursuit. The docileness definitely comes first.

wow, perspective. There's plenty of wisdom in there.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Disc 1
5 4 Real - Avril Lavigne
6 Sparks - Coldplay
17 Release - Pearl Jam

Are you sure this wasn't the letter that went with Disc 1 :-X

Fearless In The Dark With You, you can Count On My Love. I'm With You 4 Real!.

I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You because your beauty is like a City Of Blinding Lights . Everything Reminds Me Of [You] , even the blinding lights of the city.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Sparks flew when we met. It was Crazy Love making (as I'm sure you recall), but it was a good way to Release our passion for each other. My Phantom Limb as you called it still longs for you.

I hope that last statement did not cause you to Freak Out, it's just that, this Mad Dog's still got 20 / 20 vision on you. It Feels So Good to finally express how I really feel to you after...you know... oh and before I forget, I still have your Pink Cashmere. Maybe if we meet up I can give it back to you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

type568 said:

Think with your head, not with your dickhead.

Reminds me of an episode from Frasier, where Frasier went on and on how it would be quite acceptable for him as an adult to date another adult, though she was married to someone else and bla bla. Niles interrupts him with: "Sorry, Frasier, what were you saying? I couldn't hear you because your penis talked so loud."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I thought this thread was creepy, and then I read the songs you put on the CD's; now I'M thinking of calling the cops! :o

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

And somehow, that is a more mature response than "I'm fine, how are you? Please stop sending me letters, I just can't be friends with you again."?

Why would she say "I'm fine, how are you?" just before telling you not to send her more letters?

At any rate, can you really say you would just drop it if she replied in the manner you're suggesting she should have?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

If she had asked me to stop trying to contact her, I would have, with at most one more reply to acknowledge her request. I do actually respect her wishes, once I actually know what they are...

@Dizzy Egg
I listen to those mixes myself. Now you're calling my music creepy too? >:( I can't say I know your taste in music, because I don't have the bandwidth to listen to all the tracks you keep producing.

As to everyone who suggests I burn everything I own related to her, why would I do that? I may have royally fucked things up, but I don't resent her, and I don't want to destroy the few good memories I have of her just because things are broken now. I'm not the kind of person who can just forget someone they used to be with.

Go to: