[SH11] db - Green Grappler
Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Downloads

Windows binary
Source

Controls

You control the player with the arrow keys and fire the grappler with left control. There is also experimental support for Xbox360 controller implemented. To exit levels, simply press escape.

Hints on how to get the baby to compile in Linux

We use precompiled headers, and the header is called Precompiled.hpp. However, we do not include it in the source, we instead relay on the fact that we can tell Visual Studio to force include a header into each file. The same functionality is present in XCode, so I bet there is a GCC option floating around that does the same. Also, we use Dumb and TMX-parser which sources are not included in the source package.

Have fun!

Edit:
I've updated the source package to contain the complete source, that is with the external dependencies (not including Allegro) and the Visual Studio project files if anyone wants to compile the game themselves. It might also ease how to compile on Linux by looking at the Visual Studio project files. The actual game source is the same as in our submitted entry.

Edit2:
Looks like we screwed up with the TMX-parser license in the Speedhack version. It's not copyrighted by me and Per, but copyrighted by Tamir Atias. Sorry for that Tamir, it was a copy paste error by me.

{"name":"604509","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f53f979e8d7465553312863614cf3ce7.png","w":646,"h":505,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f53f979e8d7465553312863614cf3ce7"}604509
{"name":"604510","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9d95881541b45a62622bbb6785281040.png","w":646,"h":505,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9d95881541b45a62622bbb6785281040"}604510

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Good game mechanics, fun little game. There are at least two levels I think are impossible though - Grapplin heaven, and glider. The colors are way too dark and desaturated for my taste though.

Edit
I managed to beat those two levels I thought were impossible. I just needed to learn to use my momentum to move more effectively. Good job completing an actual full game in just a weekend. Amazing.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Working fine there.

Impressive little game, as Ed said. But unlike him I like the gameboy color style style it has ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

aniquilator
Member #9,841
May 2008

AMAZING! Just fantastic. Good job man.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

You are the King of Kings Sr. you have my respects.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I like this a lot :)

Add some fighting enemies and more weapons and it'll be just like ninja-5-O ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Some levels were much harder than others but I beat the game eventually. Very well done.

Good job completing an actual full game in just a weekend.

A lot of the game looks to have already existed before the competition and it was a team of people working on it but it's still incredibly polished and the gameplay is near perfect.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

A lot of the game looks to have already existed before the competition and it was a team of people working on it but it's still incredibly polished and the gameplay is near perfect.

No, most of the game did not exist before the competition... What would even be the point of a Speedhack if that was the case? Music yes, and a basic framework with a game loop, animation, input, music and sound playback, but that's basically a thin Allegro and Dumb wrapper.

Having a team helps. Having a team with pro-programmers definitely helps :)

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Nice game. Very polished for a three day competition, as usual.

I recognized the gameboy look from the very Darkbits presentation so that explains the color scheme and it makes a great job for the Color Symbolism rule.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Nice and fun, though it crashed when trying to start a new game when I first tried it.
There's something I dislike about the controls, it feels like I move a bit like I'm slipping around on ice, and I personally dislike the arrow keys :P
But other than that - pretty awesome!
Also, quite pretty, and sounds good. I like the overall aesthetic.

titonbrujah
Member #11,156
July 2009

An impressive entry for a 3 days competition, as one would expect from Darkbits

The controls seems a bit clunky until you get the hang of it, but I found the game fairly easy to beat. Heard people complain about difficulty, but if anything I found it too easy. The final boss was a panzy, which was sort of a let down.

I have to say it gets a bit repetitive though. Some more interesting enemies/bosses/stages (like the tower) would have made it a definite hit.

[edit] Forgot to add: I thought your approach to the "Color" rule was kinda cheap :(

Overall, a serious candidate on all categories for this year ;)

<My Allegro projects>
[SH09: Xtreme Programming: The Literal Game (Bonus Level)] [SH11: Hungry Hare] [GGJ12: From Beyond]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Did I get sources mixed up, or does your official SH upload use Allegro 4 and Allegro 5? ???

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Did I get sources mixed up, or does your official SH upload use Allegro 4 and Allegro 5?

We use only 4.4.2. I have never touched 5.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

A lot of the game looks to have already existed before the competition

I think you're misinterpreting what you're experiencing. What we're witnessing is a phenomenon known as "experience." :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Næssén said:

We use only 4.4.2. I have never touched 5.

Not sure why I got Allegro 5 references in your code. I redownloaded it, and it was fine.

However, there are plenty of errors like:

src/math3d/quaternion.h#SelectExpand
1 template<class ItInOut> 2 inline void transformMany(quaternion q, ItInOut first, ItInOut last) 3 { 4 for(It i = first; i != last; ++i) 5 { 6 *i = transform(m, *i); 7 } 8 }

"error: ‘It’ was not declared in this scope"

And from where does float2 originate?

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

However, there are plenty of errors like:

Hmm, I see. The math3d lib doesn't play well with GCC. That's a bummer. Perhaps I can look into it after work today.

float2 is in the vector.h, which is included through our Precompiled.hpp header.

Edit:
I have included a Visual Studio solution and project files in the source attached to this thread. Perhaps you can use that?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Næssén said:

I have included a Visual Studio solution and project files in the source attached to this thread. Perhaps you can use that?

That won't help Linux.

Quote:

float2 is in the vector.h, which is included through our Precompiled.hpp header.

It doesn't seem like Precompiled.hpp is included everywhere it needs to be.

Is there some MSVC magic with that? Edit: I see your first post addresses that.

Edit 2:

I got it to compile. The main problem was the missing Precompiled.hpp. I just wrote a script to insert it at the beginning of every cpp file.

There were many other things because C++ is pain in the butt. :P

Some examples:

Entity::Collides( const CollisionRect& aRect1, CollisionRect& aRect2 )

isn't compatible with:

Entity::Collides( const CollisionRect aRect1, CollisionRect aRect2 )

so any time you try to use a temp value, it complains.

Nested templates foo<foo<bar>> must have a space foo<foo<bar> >.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Matthew, use -include Precompiled.hpp with GCC.

Edit: You got it to compile, excellent!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Let me know if Green Grappler.exe (MinGW / gcc 4.5.2) works for you. It seemed to be correct here, but I don't know what the game is supposed to look like, etc...

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Seems to work fine.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

After playing through a couple levels, my complaints are:

• It seems way too easy to just fly through without any consideration at all. This is probably some combination of level design and the hook being too easy to blindly use.

• The graphics really bother me. I hated the Gameboy too. I think you could make everybody happy if you drew graphics in color, but just converted them to the Gameboy colors at runtime as an option.

But other than those things, it's obviously very solid.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

For me, this game is Mega Man hard. Hell, I skipped the first level when I played it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

{"name":"604572","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a38787856b8f1e70f46c9a64be3fa4ca.jpg","w":638,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a38787856b8f1e70f46c9a64be3fa4ca"}604572
How?

Using the switch and running seems the correct, but I get like 1 hit only, and if I'm supposed to repeat it, then it's a no-no for me. Not patient enough.

From the right side I never manage to hit it!

Only level I couldn't beat so far.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Dario, go to the right first and destroy the reactor throw the small hole. Hold the ctrl so the grappler reaches the reactor. Then, when it is destroyed, run to the left and grab the core.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh I figured out what my problem was. When destroying reactors I tend to hammer the grapple key a lot. I just had to hold it a bit longer. :-X Sorry. I thought the grapple hit instantaneously.

EDIT: Really polished and fun entry. And with a lot of content as well! Some shared complain with the people I've showed it to is that controlling the grapple does not really give you what you want sometimes.

For reference, this really reminds me of the grapple sections in Super Metroid. :)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

1   2 

Go to: