This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm using bitsream mono. As well as one png (currently) for in-game graphics. Everything is 51KB compress for now.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Are we allowed to submit as a 7-Zip archive?

To keep things standard and fair, ZIP is the only allowed compression. And while zipping a 7-zip would satisfy the upload page, it still wouldn't count.

But you can compress your data with whatever algorithm you want if your program includes code that can decompress it.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I didn't make it very far before I gave up :(

Very rusty with allegro now. I'm still going to get more familiar with A5, but I'll have to wait until another year for Speedhack.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Well, my entry can be called done, but there's 1 problem that I don't really understand.

I'm testing on vmware to see if my game runs on linux, and make seems to compile it alright. But when I try to run the executable, this problem pops up:

error while loading shared libraries: liballegro_acodec.so.5.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm using the makefile provided by ML, and I'm completely ignorant to how it works. The A5 examples that I just built work fine. What should I try? ???

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Are you sure allegro was built and installed successfully?
Remember that after generating the makefiles with CMAKE you need to both make and make install, and I think you need to be su for one or both of these steps.

I also need some help, I'd love it if some Windowsy people could try to compile and run my game http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/entry/11/8789 :)
(Also, is the readme.txt just one long line?)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Your entry compiles here on mingw in Windows.

Are you sure allegro was built and installed successfully?

I believe so. I was su for compiling it, and all the compiled examples and demos work(even the acodec ones).

So I'm a bit lost here. :-/

EDIT: I had missed the last step ML said. Now it works. Woot! ;D

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dario ff said:

Your entry compiles here on mingw in Windows.

I made the game on Debian so Windows was the platform I was worrying about. (Not anymore though ;))

sudo ldconfig

I always forget that step :-[
When I made my own makefiles I just made that part of make install :-/

Dario ff said:

Now it works. Woot!

Congrats :)

EDIT:
@Dario: I'm wondering - does the game run? (specifically, press space and see that it doesn't crash after three seconds :))
I'm generating SFX in the game, and I'm sure something is bound to go wrong with that :P

(This is no longer @Dario: :P)
I have to say it was really fun making a game in 72 hours, and it boosted my confidence by a bit.
Thanks for organising this event!

nowiz
Member #3,099
January 2003

Slartibartfast: I tried to compile and run your game in Visual studio (just put all the files into a project with allegro configured).

It compiles and runs, but when I press space to get past the blue startup screen with text it crashes. Sorry that I don't have more time to try or debug, just posting to let you know.

Also, the text box seems to not fit well, because the text breaks mid-word sometimes, making it harder to read.

_____
who cares?

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

My entry is up, source and Windows binary included. If someone can try and build it... I used an older makefile to build it but couldn't try the default makefile as it links against the monolith lib.

I hope it works.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Submitted. 8-)

{"name":"604506","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d8ff7cfaa7bfe8977b73f10bfb5ea7d4.png","w":1280,"h":1024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/8\/d8ff7cfaa7bfe8977b73f10bfb5ea7d4"}604506

EDIT: Ken, the binary you provided didn't work for me(something about the jpg not loading), but building it with the makefile you provided worked. So I guess it's fine. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Dario ff:

In Linux I had to comment this out:

if (keyb.display != display) {
        // Clear_Keyboard();
        //return;
    }

Otherwise no input unless you you tab away from the window and regain focus. Perhaps you need to initialize something somewhere, or not even bother with that check.

Also, what's the point of this?:

al_flush_event_queue(event_queue);

With it, some close window clicks are discarded.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

al_flush_event_queue(event_queue);

Oops, that wasn't supposed to be there. Well the thing is that at the minimum lag, some events were piling up, since I wasn't using events at all for the input as you see. I'll fix those two errors and submit it again.

EDIT: Fixed those two errors and submitted. Hopefully nothing else will arise... There is the "slight" chance that it crashes, but that only has happened really rarely. Something related to the note blocks in certain positions. :X

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

nowiz said:

Slartibartfast: I tried to compile and run your game in Visual studio (just put all the files into a project with allegro configured).

It compiles and runs, but when I press space to get past the blue startup screen with text it crashes.

Damn :(
Thanks anyway :)

I've reupped (again to http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/entry/11/8789 :))
I'd appreciate it if you can run it for a few seconds past the PRESS SPACEBAR screen and see if it crashes (and if you don't get horrible sounds :X)

Quote:

Also, the text box seems to not fit well, because the text breaks mid-word sometimes, making it harder to read.

Yeah, that's intentional, for some reason I associate propaganda with poorly formatted text :X

Dario ff said:

Fixed those two errors and submitted.

Getting right on to trying it on Linux :)

EDIT: Works for me with correct input.
Also, surprisingly it handles my multimonitor setup correctly :)

EDIT2: Oops, uploaded wrong source code :X reupping now
EDIT3: Upped. Again I'm hoping for a Windowser to compile and run my game :X (None windowsers are welcome as well :))

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Again I'm hoping for a Windowser to compile and run my game :X

Compiled again and still works.

Quote:

Also, surprisingly it handles my multimonitor setup correctly

Oh, what do you mean? It spans over multiple screens? :o

I'm interested in a hi-res shot in 1920x1080 since my monitor is just 1280x1024. That's the perfect resolution for the graphics I made.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dario ff said:

Compiled again and still works.

At least I know the crashing is not a platform thing as only nowiz is crashing so far :o

Quote:

Oh, what do you mean? It spans over multiple screens? :o

No, it correctly fullscreens on the monitor it was opened on.
A lot of applications fullscreen on the main monitor and blacken the other, some change your resolution configuration and a few just look messed up :X

I've attached a shot of the game running on 1920x1080 :)

EDIT: Oh wait, I FAILED to attach a screenshot.
Now it is attached: {"name":"604507","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9fd008198b82bbb783469ec44a956c37.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9fd008198b82bbb783469ec44a956c37"}604507

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

No, it correctly fullscreens on the monitor it was opened on.
A lot of applications fullscreen on the main monitor and blacken the other, some change your resolution configuration and a few just look messed up :X

Wow, thank the A5 developers for that then. :D

Quote:

I've attached a shot of the game running on 1920x1080

Cool and thanks, but something dodgy is up with the background, it's a little bent... meh it looks cool anyway. :P

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dario ff said:

Wow, thank the A5 developers for that then.

Thank you A5 developers!

Quote:

something dodgy is up with the background, it's a little bent... meh it looks cool anyway.

Oh, so that was unintentional? :)
This is the hidden advantage of an abstract background :)

Hehe, I really should be sleeping now but I'm a bit too nervous :)

nowiz
Member #3,099
January 2003

Slartibartfast: Tried again. Same crash.

Attached a screenshot of the crash in debug mode, with the break point pointing to the line that causes the crash. Maybe this is Visual Studio only. (or it may just be that I'm doing something wrong...) Anyway, hope it helps.

_____
who cares?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

nowiz said:

Slartibartfast: Tried again. Same crash.

Attached a screenshot of the crash in debug mode, with the break point pointing to the line that causes the crash. Maybe this is Visual Studio only. (or it may just be that I'm doing something wrong...) Anyway, hope it helps.

I think that really helps too!
I wasn't sure if what I was doing there was actually legitimate, and I guess it only is under the gcc/mingw implementation of a linked list :O

Bug fixing ahoy!

EDIT: Though I wonder if it is problematic, because I don't think it should be. Interesting, anyway:
EDIT: Reupped, with what might be the problem fixed, I'd again really appreciate help with getting it to run on your computer :) (And I'm already appreciating the help so far :))

nowiz
Member #3,099
January 2003

Won't be able to test anything more before the deadline, because I need sleep. Have to go to work tomorrow...

Looking forward to testing all the entries tomorrow. :)

_____
who cares?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

nowiz said:

Won't be able to test anything more before the deadline, because I need sleep. Have to go to work tomorrow...

Hehe, same here :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere between me and visual studio :(

@Dario: I wonder if I could ask you to compile the game for me on Windows after the competition is done (after the submission deadline passes), as it seems like mingw likes my code better, and at least I could supply a compiled, working, windows binary to represent me :) (Thanks in advance either way :))

EDIT: Reupped for one final bugfix and I'm off to sleep.
This is probably going to be my final entry as I don't think I'll have time to fix anything tomorrow before I leave.
Good night everyone and have fun ;)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Sure, I will hold off compiling it yet in case you wake up at midnight to resubmit it once more. :P

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

Sure,

Thank you :)
(I feel like I'm wearing out the word :) and the ":)" smiley :))

Dario ff said:

I will hold off compiling it yet in case you wake up at midnight to resubmit it once more. :P

Yeah, which is why I asked to compile after the competition is done :D

Oh, and its quite a bit past midnight so I probably won't be waking up at midnight ;) (I might get in a tiny update in the morning though :O)

Go to: