January 1999

The secret rules are in place.

Site is updated.

Time to get exite!

>:(

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

"This year there might just be a special rule that may require you to check what other people are doing..."
:o Interesting.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

OH NOES ML IS STARTING HIS ENTRY EARLY!!!!

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Less than 12 hours to go! Time to get a simple framework up.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Frameworks are for pussies. :-X

I don't even have Allegro installed yet. :-X

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

BAF said:

Frameworks are for pussies.

Hey, it's convenient, OK?

{"name":"Cat%20Carrier.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95cf54667d8165607516d4d85a590408.jpg","w":760,"h":587,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95cf54667d8165607516d4d85a590408"}Cat%20Carrier.jpg

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I don't even have a computer yet. >:(

Sent from my iPhone.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I don't even have a computer yet.

Yes you do. You're just holding it wrong.

-Steve Jobs
Sent from my iPad.

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

Time to get exite!

excite

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

;D you guys crack me up :D

I know about case-sensitive file-name with Linux as the person that hosts my site is using Linux and I have to be careful with my PHP scripts.

Just hope one of the rules are not Networking as I only know how to use WinSock and most of you should know that is windows only and that I would need to learn how to do it for Mac and Linux, or I could use a bonus Act if there is one to get rid of a rule :o

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

I will try my best to write cross platform code. However I have never compiled or wrote anything in Linux. I will however only be using the allegro 5 libs and addon's so they are cross platform. I wouldn't have bothered writing this but it seems that some many of the users on here use Linux

bamccaig said:

The only thing you should have to worry about if you're only using Allegro is to keep file paths case-sensitive and use slashes ("/") instead of backslashes ("\\"); both of which any sane person would be doing regardless. Otherwise, Allegro takes care of the platform specifics for you.

One thing that is important to think about is line endings when opening text files in text mode. If you create text files, make sure you use Unix line endings.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Næssén said:

One thing that is important to think about is line endings when opening text files in text mode. If you create text files, make sure you use Unix line endings.

I always use "\n" anyway's, That seems to work with both Windows and Linux created test files XD. It's "\r\n" in Windows right? I haven't used that in years so I could be wrong there :O

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

That said, I don't get it - what bell curve did you mean?

The curve rating entrants' epicness.

I will try my best to write cross platform code. However I have never compiled or wrote anything in Linux.

Biggest thing to watch out for is file name casing, IMO:
Ex: #include "hello.h" != #include "HELLO.H"

ah, fuck, beaten.
Twice.

Ooh backslash advice, forgot about that one. Must incorporate.

Just hope one of the rules are not Networking as I only know how to use WinSock and most of you should know that is windows only and that I would need to learn how to do it for Mac and Linux, or I could use a bonus Act if there is one to get rid of a rule

With a couple of defines you can make winsocks 2 code that's cross platform for Linux, et al. Even the startup/shutdown stuff, and different include file pathes...

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea figures :D I'd still need to learn how Linux does this though XD

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Fishcake said:

Time to get a simple framework up.

I think framework is a much over-used word. A couple of helper functions makes not a framework ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Kewl rules. ;D

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Næssén said:

Nice catch. :) Yes, this can matter as well.

I always use "\n" anyway's, That seems to work with both Windows and Linux created test files XD. It's "\r\n" in Windows right? I haven't used that in years so I could be wrong there :O

The standard IO layer in Windows automatically converts your "\n" to "\r\n" in text mode. :( If you specify binary mode then it will do exactly as you tell it. Just make sure that any text data files that you create with an editor, etc., uses UNIX line endings and you'll be fine. :) Alternatively, you could write the text handling routines to deal with any line endings.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

Just make sure that any text data files that you create with an editor, etc., uses UNIX line endings and you'll be fine. :)

Or, you know, just open them in text mode. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

pthread_mutex_lock.c:84: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion 'mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.
This is great :(
(I get that from an al_get_next_event)

EDIT: Whoops, that's what I get for not correctly initializing my variables :o

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

So I wanted to make a second blog post, but it won't let me. Is the speedhack blog down?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Are there any Bonus rules that aren't simply 'you can ignore rule X'? Or as I like to think, the 'you can go ahead and use the game your wrote over the past 2 months and simply use the bonus to negate any issue' rule ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So I wanted to make a second blog post, but it won't let me. Is the speedhack blog down?

It should work. Maybe you are triggering a bug with the contents of the post.

Are there any Bonus rules that aren't simply 'you can ignore rule X'?

Given that the only rules are:

• Genre/artistic/technical

• Must be done in 72 hours

• Must be < 250 KB

• Must use Allegro

There aren't many options for a bonus rule...

If there were some sort of point system that affected winning, then bonus rules could be more like +5 points ... but I'd rather winning simply be based on votes.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

gnolam said:

Or, you know, just open them in text mode. :P

I think text mode is platform specific so I think certain operations will require you to manually handle different EOL characters *ahem* "sequences". That is, if the text file being read was written on a different platform. I could be wrong... In theory, if you use binary mode and always use UNIX line endings then it shouldn't ever matter and you could move the files between platforms without issue. Of course, the real solution is to format Windows and install Linux. :P

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

This thread title sucks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Agreed.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Go to: