GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

That's not the entire story though, since the FAQ says:

Quote:

Libraries, add-ons and public domain code that is self contained (compiled independently from your code) does not need to be included.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

AMCerasoli, SpeedHack is a 72 hour competition. Is starts on Friday and you have to submit your entry Sunday before the competition ends.

Also, you don't have to implement all 50 rules you voted. Only a few rules are randomly selected before the competition starts and those are the ones you have to try and implement. Try spinning the rule-o-matic to see an example.

I suggest you join. Nothing will happen if you can't finish an entry or if you decide to drop the competition.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I was also confused with the TINS rules. (They should call this TINTINS :P) I will certainly have no need for the 'public domain doesn't need to be included rule'.[1]

Nothing will happen if you can't finish an entry or if you decide to drop the competition.

Squirrels.

References

1. knock on wood
GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

SiegeLord said:

That's not the entire story though

The difference:

You only need to send me the program source, data, makefiles, documentation and any additional libraries that you needed to compile the program.

versus

Libraries, add-ons and public domain code that is self contained (compiled independently from your code) does not need to be included.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

weapon_S said:

So, if I use the PNG add-on, I have to include the libpng's source? Or just the headers?

Ugh, no and no.

The text on the intro page just a high level description of how the competition works. "Any additional libraries" doesn't mean the library itself must be present; a reference to the library in a readme file is sufficient.

The FAQ makes this clear:

Libraries, add-ons and public domain code that is self contained (compiled independently from your code) does not need to be included. I am assuming that the code is freely available from a website, and you will need to supply a web address where it can be downloaded. If the website no longer exists (as sites are created and vanish all the time) then you should upload the version that you used onto your own website so that I can compile the code to check it. I have no desire to trawl the internet looking for add-ons as I have enough to do..!

As does the rules page:

All source code, makefiles, documentation, and references to additional libraries used must be supplied in the ZIP file.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Oh fuck it. Looks like there was no 2010 Speed Hack, and for all I know this could be the last one. I'm back, bitches. 8-) (Too much DNF... ;D)

Though, whether I will actually accomplish anything, is yet to be seen.

I see BAF, Derezo, Dustin, Elias, Mark, ML, MiquelFire, Oscar, SiegeLord, and Slartibartfast are all in.

Would be epic if we could get Bob, 23, and X-G in on this. The world may end next year, after all. ;)

Aight. Let's get this shit done. Hopefully I can get visual studio installed before Sunday.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I think you forgot Bruce Perry in your list, he's like Mr Speedhack himself :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Stop that! You're ruining the bell curve. ;)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Your face is a bell curve.

(That said, I don't get it - what bell curve did you mean? :))

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I've managed to find some time for this weekend, so I'm in. :)

Time to read that template and get the latest Allegro 5 working. :D

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good luck to ya all !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

AMCerasoli, SpeedHack is a 72 hour competition. Is starts on Friday and you have to submit your entry Sunday before the competition ends.

Yea that is the problem man... I would really love to participate in this competition believe me if it had been few weeks ago (yes when I was here talking shit all the time) I would have participated. But just right know I can't... I want another SpeedHack this year!!! >:(.

Quote:

Also, you don't have to implement all 50 rules you voted.

I know, I just was saying that from those that I saw, I would be able to finish just the 10% of them... Probably not, probably the 60%, but I would have just the Sunday to finish it, because I work Friday and Saturday all day... :(

But anyway good look to everybody and show what is Allegro able to do in just two days!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

But anyway good look to everybody and show what is Allegro able to do in just two days!

Well, You can't really judge allegro on us using it. We could be out dated ourselves :D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

weapon_S said:

Squirrels.

I'll do a remake of my 2007 Speedhack entry?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ok I'm all set now. Scrapped over some pieces of code from here and there(stuff that's been on my public repositories for months :P) just so I don't have to bother remembering most of the setup for A5 stuff.

Now gimmeh the gamez! >:(

Anybody not participating who wants to team up for some contributions in their spare time? :D
Ignore that, nobody likes working. Someone who could help testing a sneak peek before uploading the final entry would be better. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I will try my best to write cross platform code. However I have never compiled or wrote anything in Linux. I will however only be using the allegro 5 libs and addon's so they are cross platform. I wouldn't have bothered writing this but it seems that some of the users on here use Linux :D

When I can be bothered (Not in a long time), I shall learn how to use Allegro under Ubuntu or summets.

Not long now till the competition starts so good luck to all. I'm looking forward to seeing the rules now :D

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

This will be my first speedhack. :)

And I will destroy all of you >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Looking forward to it as well and also curious about the rules. 17 hours to start.

Will upgrade from 4.2 to 4.4 tonight. Have a few dozen lines of code down in preparation.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I will try my best to write cross platform code. However I have never compiled or wrote anything in Linux.

I think that in Allegro if you are doing something Windows specific then you would know it.
Other than that - Just remember that unlike in Windows, filenames are case-sensitive, so don't #include <filename.h> a file named Filename.h and you'll probably be fine :)

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Team Darkbits will assemble tomorrow and we are really looking forward to it. Good luck everyone!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

OH NO! NOT TEAM DARKBITS! WE'RE DOOM! WE WON'T WIN! AHHH!

Whatever.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I will try my best to write cross platform code. However I have never compiled or wrote anything in Linux. I will however only be using the allegro 5 libs and addon's so they are cross platform. I wouldn't have bothered writing this but it seems that some many of the users on here use Linux :D

The only thing you should have to worry about if you're only using Allegro is to keep file paths case-sensitive and use slashes ("/") instead of backslashes ("\\"); both of which any sane person would be doing regardless. :) Otherwise, Allegro takes care of the platform specifics for you.

OH NO! NOT TEAM DARKBITS! WE'RE DOOM! WE WON'T WIN! AHHH!

Whatever.

PMS? :-/

Go to: