Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon
Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

10MB is a great boost for sound packs / high res graphics, etc... sounds great.

I might join in, but likely will not be able to. Or if I did, my C++ and game-foo are a bit rusty (I've been in Biz land.) :-/

Heck, I'd love to just be able to get a weekend of programming in... :-X

edit/obligatory hijack: Is anyone interested in doing an "audit" of speed hack? (Like when you audit a class in college, you sit in and what-not, and hopefully learn, but it's not graded...) -- Maybe I'm the odd man out, but it may be appealing for those of us who are no longer using C++/Allegro to follow along with a 72-hr game competition of our own (following the same rule-o-matic/72-hr time period, maybe 10mb file limit max for everything in one package, etc -- simple rules, just have fun... 8-))

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

This was made to test some things of my Framework. Does this work okay for you guys as it jumps on my system :/

Download

Append: Added a screenshot.

{"name":"604482","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9fc968e11d50c9a2a6635f6a1e63856f.png","w":665,"h":526,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/f\/9fc968e11d50c9a2a6635f6a1e63856f"}604482

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It works here.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Thank god for that. I asked someone else to try it and he said it just opened then closed :-X At least I know it works. Thanks MiquelFire :D

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Works on my work machine at a decent speed but yeah, it flip flops between smooth and just slight moments of being a little "jumpy"... (It's a shitty computer though, so go figure.)

My $.02: Keep in mind, just because it works on some machines doesn't mean it will work everywhere. Make sure to check return codes to see if an API call is failing, etc, and show an error to the user with a message box instead of just making an invalid call which will crash the application.

FYI: I tried it with, and without the data folder present. Without, on my machine, causes the app to come up with a blank black window and do nothing until I close it. So if it came up and then went down for someone, it wasn't a file issue, you seem to be handling those alright (though it would be better if the app complained and said "I can't find my data!" -- I get that this is a "framework" though, so I will shut up now.) ;)

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Worked on my work machine too. Smooth, no issues. Also a crap computer so I'm a bit surprised.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Yea, I all returns are checked and comes up with a dialog. I will be adding checks on the images later on tonight if I get some time for now it just checks that it exists before drawing them to the screen to stop segmentation faults.

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

Derezo said:

I might get the "at least you tried" award.

I'm going for the "We wish you hadn't tried" award.

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Does this work okay for you guys as it jumps on my system :/

Works great on mine, though mine is a gaming rig.

I've signed up for the competition, I'll see how it goes even though I'm pretty sure I won't come up with an entry (probably won't even start one). I've already got Friday completely booked, and Sunday is work for me...

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I have a couple of hours Saturday where I'm travelling to Lincoln to get some stuff. I'll be rushing back for sure xD

Good to see more people are going to join in :D I wasn't aware of Allegro back in 2009 so I couldn't have joined in :(

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I'll be there if I can clear my work schedule before then.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I almost forgot to enter >.>. Somehow I thought that voting on that date thing counted as entering the competition...

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

My odds of joining this year are close to zero, unfortunately, but I still wanted to chime in and wish everyone participating good luck :).

It looks like this year's SH will be a little bit smaller, but seeing as there are a few days left, perhaps more people will still register.

Concerning the 10MB additional resource file, it seems a rather strange concept to me. It straddles the line between keeping the 250kB limit and increasing it to 10MB, but in the end I don't think it makes anybody happy. The people wanting to use nice hi-def stuff for their games will still feel unable to do so (since they would have to cut it out of the 250k version, and while it might be feasible for music, not so for most graphics). The die-hards who'd like the limit to stay forever will feel like it was lifted.

Just my 0.02$, obviously worth even less considering the fact that I'm not taking part anyway.

Again, good luck to everyone - looking forward to trying your games!

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I could say I'll join, but every past attempt has failed utterly. I figure I should at least finish a pong clone before I commit to something as serious as speedhack. ;D

In any case, I think I have a "family reunion" next weekend anyway so I probably couldn't do it even if I could.

There was that time I teamed up with Samuel Henderson for "Bananarama"... That was actually looking like it might go somewhere at one point. Then it all crashed and burned. ;D

I wonder if I could bend the rules and build off of Intern's Quest. ;D The code (and resources) have technically been available for a couple of years now. :-X

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

how long is the voting window?

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Voting closes 1-2 weeks after the competition is over. But only people who submit an entry can vote. However, it's perfectly acceptable for a SpeedHacker who doesn't have the time to test each game to delegate his voting privileges to a non-participant.

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

My odds of joining this year are close to zero, unfortunately, but I still wanted to chime in and wish everyone participating good luck :).

That's too bad. Garbage Quest was awesome! ;D

I'm having a semester break right now, which will end on August 1st, so I'm in. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish a game like last time.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

SpeedHack 2011 is coming soon

I am so excite!!! ;D;D;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

However, it's perfectly acceptable for a SpeedHacker who doesn't have the time to test each game to delegate his voting privileges to a non-participant.

In case I participate, anyone who doesn't wants to have my voting rights? :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

aniquilator
Member #9,841
May 2008

I'm In!
I just have a few questions...
Can I use to make my game a framework, based in allegro5?
Or I can just use allegro's lib?
I know, that someone have just answered it, but I have looked and dont find a thing about it. :(
Thanks in advance.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Use whatever you want. You just have to provide that whatever.

Speedhack rules said:

When you have finished your entry, you need to uploaded it via this site. You only need to send me the program source, data, makefiles, documentation and any additional libraries that you needed to compile the program. All of this must fit into the 250KB!

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

aniquilator
Member #9,841
May 2008

Thanks GullRaDriel...
So, I cant use the framework... Its libs cant fit in 256kb... :'(

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

So, I cant use the framework... Its libs cant fit in 256kb...

You only need to provide the sources of it as well though.

So unless the sources themselves don't fit, it should be ok. There was a rule saying that your own framework is only allowed if you published its sources some time before the compo - but I don't think that's very important.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

And if your framework is more than 250KB of source only, well, maybe it's a little bit overloaded for a 2 days compo ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: