Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Forced into switching to Linux

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Forced into switching to Linux
Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Astroturfing is a form of advocacy often in support of a political or corporate agenda designed to give the appearance of a "grassroots" movement.

I use both Windows (7) and linux (arch), both run on different pcs that hide under my desk. Both operating systems have strength and weaknesses. I use my linux box for wireless access point, file server, SVN repso, internet sharing. I use my windows box for games, that is the reason its my desktop machine.

Linux isn't perfect or simple, but unless you they are a linux zealot, most users will admit its so. Windows Users who are not windows zealots, either seem to be unaware there is alternatives other than owning a Mac, or they want to run a particular software, or class of software that is just not available on anything but windows.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

The whole discussion is void, because GNU/Linux is not about being powerful or economically successful. It's a moral thing most people do not understand or don't want to understand. Vegatarian people don't eat meat because they understood that it is not necessary to do so in our society today, as there is plenty of food available. Are they healthier? Maybe, but that is not the point. The point in free software is that proprietary software restricts your freedom, especially closed-source applications causes high economic damage by making it necessary to reinvent the wheel multiple times. Open Source is definately better, but also there you have restrictions: You can't modify the code and offer a better version for example.

I think that it's quite amazing to see how far GNU/Linux got by now and I am willing to support a project that backs up my freedom and I am refusing to use proprietary software like a vegatarian refuses to eat meat for moral reasons.

If someone feels enforced to use GNU/Linux he should not use it. GNU/Linux does not need a high market share built up on users that hate their computers, just a handful that love to use it.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

So... you can't give me an example of something useful that Microsoft invented?

They invented the kinect...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Arthur Kalliokoski said:

Quote:

herp derp nobody loves me so i use linux as my backup desktop, i hate microsoft because i'm a hippy, also i use AmigaOS as my main OS because it's old and proven technology, what are the chances i get a virus B1tch3s

P3mM7.gif

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Linux sucks, Arthur. I never saw such a bad design around video card drivers until I tried to upgrade them.

It's simple as pie on a microsoft system and it's pain and hell on any linux distro I know.

dkms and module assistant are two supplementary bitch.

I praise MS W 7 64 !!

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It's simple as pie on a microsoft system and it's pain and hell on any linux distro I know.

Dunno, last time I upgraded my driver on a MS system, it rebooted into safe mode requiring me to install the driver again. That's just as bad as Ubuntu (although I have found ways to avoid it most of the time).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Even though linux is my main operating system, i'm using it as my main OS with grief as it isnt as straight-forward quick to click and solve as windows, i have a lot of experience with linux and I know my way around it really well in the server world. I'm only switching to it for security reasons, not usability reason.

-----

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Open Source is definately better, but also there you have restrictions: You can't modify the code and offer a better version for example.

...fork. ??? You most certainly can, but it risks a split in the community which could potentially be harmful. Usually, though, I think a fork is good for the community. Either the fork is intelligent and sensible and eventually merges back into the original (or possibly becomes something else with a different goal) or it's stupid and useless and nobody cares (it only serves to get those stupid ideas out of everyone else's way). :P The fork may still be bound by the original license (e.g., GPL), but there's nothing wrong with that.

I never saw such a bad design around video card drivers until I tried to upgrade them.

I think the major distros have software repositories (official or unofficial) where you can get the Nvidia drivers. For example, RPMFusion has kmod-nvidia (and kmod-nvidia-PAE). I'm not sure about ATI drivers, albeit I suppose I'll have to find out soon enough.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

The fork may still be bound by the original license (e.g., GPL), but there's nothing wrong with that.

Everything is wrong with GPL. Its viral nature, despite the honorable goal of trying to force projects to become open-source, is often counter-productive - in the corporate world, GPL usually means no-go, because the risk of having to GPL your own proprietary code is just too high. The result is that a GPL'd piece of code doesn't get the exposure it deserves, and often fails to become mainstream even though it is technically superior to everything else out there.
In other words, you can't force freedom upon people.

I never saw such a bad design around video card drivers until I tried to upgrade them.

Video drivers are a sore spot, but you can only blame the developers for a small part of the problem. Thing is, you can't easily provide reliable drivers without proper specs, and since hardware manufacturers aren't exactly keen on leaking those (in fear of telling the competition too much about the internals of their products), the choice is between open source drivers that are based on guesswork and sample hardware, and closed-source drivers from the vendor. In most cases, neither is pretty (Intel being a notable exception, but then their cards aren't exactly high-performance).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

SiegeLord said:

Dunno, last time I upgraded my driver on a MS system, it rebooted into safe mode requiring me to install the driver again.

The last time I upgraded my drivers... I don't know when that happened. I let Windows' automatic updates handle that for me.

Our company pretty much runs on Excel macros (with the occasional AutoCAD and TruTops among others thrown in for good measure). We mass produce (with the help of some robots) quite unassuming but vital machinery parts for pretty much all fields of industry. You can't eat, read a book, drive to work, take a dump or do pretty much anything else in the nordic countries without having that activity being in one way or another dependant on our components, and by extension, Microsoft Excel.

Resistance is futile. ;)

You don't deserve my sig.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Everything is wrong with GPL. Its viral nature, despite the honorable goal of trying to force projects to become open-source, is often counter-productive

No one is forcing you to use that code. Just don't use GPL code, and you have no problems.

I used to think the same thing "OOhhh GPL is viral, OMGGggnonoeoneoneone~!!!!" well no, it isn't.

Most libs are LGPL so you can actually use them even in non GPL/LGPL projects.

Quote:

It's worked rather well for the linux kernel. But its probably the only major project its worked so well for. And its by far the largest.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I don't think the purpose of the GPL is to force other people into writing open source software. Let's be realistic: a pathetic nerd's free (no cost) GPL library isn't going to be so great that a company would give out its source code just to use it. And if it was, all the company would have to do is wave a few dollars in front of him, and he would license it.

GPL software and utilities are generally not an issue, because there's typically no need to bundle them with your proprietary program in a way that contaminates it.

I think when people use the GPL (especially for libraries), they do so because they feel like if somebody sells a product that uses their code, that they are somehow being taken advantage of. But if they knew how to sell their own GPL product, they would. So GPL becomes more of a "if I cannot make any money, then neither can you."

The LGPL is somewhat different, but to me, it's kind of a stupid mix between GPL and public domain. "Here, take my library, but don't static link against it." That's dumb. (Yes, I understand the reasoning behind it.)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Everything is wrong with GPL. Its viral nature, despite the honorable goal of trying to force projects to become open-source, is often counter-productive - in the corporate world, GPL usually means no-go, because the risk of having to GPL your own proprietary code is just too high. The result is that a GPL'd piece of code doesn't get the exposure it deserves, and often fails to become mainstream even though it is technically superior to everything else out there.

And none of that hurts the GPL'd software authors in any way. They don't actually benefit from you freely using their software so if you choose not to then they've essentially lost nothing. However, if you do decide to use it and are therefore forced to contribute your own efforts then the open source world might benefit.

All that aside, GPL is NOT against charging for software. The main restriction is that you must offer the source code, but AFAIK there's nothing stopping you from charging for it. Of course, once the source code is acquired the acquirer is free to redistribute it at no cost. In any case, you still can make some money off of GPL'd code. Most of the software that proprietary vendors write sucks anyway (i.e., they're more interested in making a sale then writing good software) so it really isn't worth much anyway.

Even with all of that pointed out, as already mentioned, there's nothing stopping a commercial entity from offering to license GPL'd software under different terms at a cost.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

And none of that hurts the GPL'd software authors in any way. They don't actually benefit from you freely using their software so if you choose not to then they've essentially lost nothing. However, if you do decide to use it and are therefore forced to contribute your own efforts then the open source world might benefit.

The result may very well be that my boss decides I can't use it, and I go reinvent the wheel once again. In this scenario, the open source world misses an opportunity (if I were to use it, chances are I file useful bug reports or maybe even bugfixes), as does the world as a whole (because there is no way my own hurried implementation is anywhere near as good as the ongoing collaborative effort of a few hundred people).
If the author instead uses a less restrictive license (say, MIT, Apache, or BSD), the whole world can benefit, including those who would not use that software if it were GPL'd. Sure, for the user it doesn't matter one way or another; and for some large projects, I'm pretty sure there are really good reasons to use GPL; but I get annoyed with small projects where the authors go "oh, I know, I'll open source it, because I believe in freedom and all that, let's GPL it", instead of researching their options and picking a license that really fits their intention (which is usually just "go ahead, use it, as long as you don't claim you wrote it I'm fine").

No one is forcing you to use that code. Just don't use GPL code, and you have no problems.

Which is exactly what happens: People just don't use that code. Which is a shame.

Quote:

I used to think the same thing "OOhhh GPL is viral, OMGGggnonoeoneoneone~!!!!" well no, it isn't.

Most libs are LGPL so you can actually use them even in non GPL/LGPL projects.

Yeah, LGPL... it has the same problems as GPL, only to a lesser extent. Still, it is sufficiently vague to make companies shy away from LGPL'd libraries anyway, just to be on the safe side.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

Which is exactly what happens: People just don't use that code. Which is a shame.

This is the people's fault, not the one of the GPL. See, just because everyone thinks like that does not mean it's the "right" way to think. Using the GPL would surely mean less profit, but there's no natural law that says that we have to pay x developers. We have a whole industry build up on misconcepts, like "intellectual property" (whatever that means in detail) for example. So now we have to bring in misconcepts again to fix the old ones, isn't that funny? Just to enforce concepts that were dead before they were born.

Because most people thought the world is flat doesn't automatically mean that's true.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I don't use GPL libraries because I like to decide for myself what license I put on my code (if any). If I want to open-source it, I'll do so without being forced.

There are a lot of good GPL lib's, but it's not worth the loss of freedom imo.

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

There are a lot of good GPL lib's, but it's not worth the loss of freedom imo.

I hear that often. What freedom do you lose? I am really interested in what people mean by that.

edit:

Quote:

I don't use GPL libraries because I like to decide for myself what license I put on my code (if any).

If you mean that: It's not a loss of freedom, it's a loss of power over what you can do to other people. So you're basically losing the power to restrict other's freedom, much the same other's gave up the power to decide what you can do with it. Freedom is based on co-existence, it's not a personal thing.

edit2:
The GPL is a license that ensures freedom between people, so you have to give up power on each other. If you want to put it in an evil context, you might call that "invasive", but it certainly doesn't fit well the idea.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I see nothing wrong with GPL. I use a GPL library in my game, in return I release my game as GPL as well. I can't use it in a closed source application, but that is the whole idea.

With LGPL there is no restrictions on my own code at all - it just means when I use an LGPL library and modify it, I can't distribute those modifications under a license which prevents the original library from incorporating them. Which makes a lot of sense.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

This is the people's fault, not the one of the GPL.

No, it's the GPL's fault. It's way too restrictive. It is viral, because everything it touches should be GPLd too.

Quote:

See, just because everyone thinks like that does not mean it's the "right" way to think. Using the GPL would surely mean less profit, but there's no natural law that says that we have to pay x developers.

Our whole civilization, over 40 centuries, is built on being able to freely negotiate the prices for the items we have created. That's how the Western civilization managed to grow economically. It's almost a natural law, don't you think?

Quote:

We have a whole industry build up on misconcepts, like "intellectual property" (whatever that means in detail) for example. So now we have to bring in misconcepts again to fix the old ones, isn't that funny? Just to enforce concepts that were dead before they were born.

The only reason intellectual property is considered a misconcept nowadays is because it's an obstacle to software and media piracy. Computer users throughout the whole internet scream about how intellectual property is a bad thing, because they cannot download for free the latest games, music and movies.

If it wasn't for intellectual property, then most people would not create anything, since they wouldn't be able to get some value out of their creations, in order to be able to afford the creation of that property.

And please, don't get me started how piracy is not theft, because it is. A product doesn't need to have a physical form to have value. Enjoying something you didn't pay for that you should have paid for is clearly theft.

Mordredd
Member #5,291
December 2004

axilmar said:

Our whole civilization, over 40 centuries, is built on being able to freely negotiate the prices for the items we have created. That's how the Western civilization managed to grow economically. It's almost a natural law, don't you think?

No, because a software product is not an item.

See my post above for the part with being "restrictive".

edit:
I am referring to that:

edit:
[...]

If you mean that: It's not a loss of freedom, it's a loss of power over what you can do to other people. So you're basically losing the power to restrict other's freedom, much the same other's gave up the power to decide what you can do with it. Freedom is based on co-existence, it's not a personal thing.

[...]
The GPL is a license that ensures freedom between people, so you have to give up power on each other. If you want to put it in an evil context, you might call that "invasive", but it certainly doesn't fit well the idea.

edit2:

axilmar said:

The only reason intellectual property is considered a misconcept nowadays is because it's an obstacle to software and media piracy. Computer users throughout the whole internet scream about how intellectual property is a bad thing, because they cannot download for free the latest games, music and movies.

Good point! I am NOT talking about games, music and movies, that's a whole separate thing! Another misconcept is to put that together with software, how can I say it, that you actually "use".

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

No, because a software product is not an item.

It is. It is something that value was spent on it in order to be produced.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

axilmar said:

It is something that value was spent on it in order to be produced.

While money was spent on it, that money is amortized over the number of units sold. The additional cost of distributing the program on CD-ROM might be 50 cents for the disk and another 1.00 for the box and styrofoam, with 1.00 for shipping to the store warehouses. If it's distributed on-line, call it 0.10 cents for distribution. If you divide the development cost over 100000 units it's pretty small compared to the prices normally charged for a copy of software. At least they're not charging five or six hundred dollars per copy like they did in the '80's.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

It's not a loss of freedom, it's a loss of power over what you can do to other people

That might be your definition of freedom, but it's a useless one for any rational discussion. Obviously my freedom to live supersedes your freedom to kill me. That does not mean I infringe on your freedom.

If I write a program, I should be able to decide what I do with it. It's not global property just because it exists. And I can do this, by sharing it to whom I want, how I want. Just as I decide not to use GPL, users can decide not to use my software.

This does not limit their freedom - it's an expression of mine.

EDIT:

If you divide the development cost over 100000 units it's pretty small compared to the prices normally charged for a copy of software

What's wrong with making money of (presumably) good software that you've risked money and time to make?

Note that I'm not against open-source in any way, I just prefer not to be forced into it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What's wrong with making money of (presumably) good software that you've risked money and time to make?

Remember the GIF image format debacle? How about MS and DOS? Or Windows refusing to run if it was DR. DOS? Or IBM computers refusing to run if it wasn't PC-DOS?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Remember the GIF image format debacle? How about MS and DOS? Or Windows refusing to run if it was DR. DOS? Or IBM computers refusing to run if it wasn't PC-DOS?

Dude we know you like AmigaOS and you love the world of yesterday, but

iKYit.gif

-----

Go to: