Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Portal 2 on PC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Portal 2 on PC
Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Does anyone here own Portal 2 on the PC?

I brought it two days ago but it was late at night so I left it installing over night and played for over 10 hours strait yesterday. I have completed the Solo Campaign and I am now playing the Co-Op Game.

Anyone want to add me? - http://steamcommunity.com/id/ultimateslinky

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I would have it, but thanks to Sony's incompetence, I cannot activate my free steam copy for the forseeable future.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Anyone want to add me?

No, I do not. I have a little bit left to do on the single person campaign, then I'm selling my copy on eBay.

The game is absolutely a bore to play. It's so easy. It's as if each of the puzzles comes with an on screen instruction manual that tells you precisely how to solve them.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

My Steam account says that I have 72 minutes played on the original Portal. Here's what I enjoyed about the game:

• The portal gun is pretty fun to play with.

• The controls are amazing. Very tight and responsive.

• I like the humor and overall atmosphere.

Other than that, I found the game incredibly boring. I've tried playing it more, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

No, I do not. I have a little bit left to do on the single person campaign, then I'm selling my copy on eBay.

Strait to the point.

decepto said:

Other than that, I found the game incredibly boring. I've tried playing it more, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

I will agree on that but with Portal you can download new map packs that are on the net. Portal 2, I'm not so sure yet. Just about to luck but since it's new I don't think there will be any at the moment.

Append: BAF, Yea that's why I brought a copy on Steam only. I don't like consoles since upgrading a PC is easier for me.

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I'm waiting for the price to come down before I get it. I enjoyed the first one, so I'm guessing I'll like this one. But it sounds a bit short to justify paying $50 for it. :-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MiquelFire

If I'm online at the same time, I'll play. I already beaten Co-op however, so you won't see the doors in the hub open as we complete the levels.

[edit] Looking at your profile, we might not be online at the same anyway.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Append: BAF, Yea that's why I brought a copy on Steam only. I don't like consoles since upgrading a PC is easier for me.

Wait, what? You don't upgrade a console.

The only problem at hand is that PSN is down, so I can't link my PSN account to my Steam account. Once I'm able to do that, I get a free Steam copy by virtue of having bought the PS3 version.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mokkan said:

But it sounds a bit short to justify paying $50 for it. :-/

I don't know where you heard that. I found it to be quite a lot longer than the original. Two or three times longer, perhaps. It was certainly long enough to be worthwhile.

My main complaint is probably that Wheatley's voice isn't very robotic in nature. I much prefer the way they did GLaDOS's voice. :) It makes it more fun. There was too much emotion and variation in Whiteley's voice...

I'm beginning to realize that I don't enjoy puzzles in games. I guess I prefer games that require physical agility. I'm not good at solving puzzles and don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy other games. :( I did have fun with Portal and Portal 2, but unlike ML I did have trouble with some of the puzzles. Usually the solution that didn't come to me naturally was about putting a portal on the floor which for whatever reason doesn't always seem obvious to me. :-/ Another one gave me a lot of problems because the solution that I originally came up with didn't work, even though it was correct. So I then spent a frustrating hour trying to think of alternative solutions that didn't exist... :'(

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Accepted you MiquelFire and I was on all day yesterday messing about trying to get all of the achievements :) I still need to get more on Co-Op though so I shall spend the day on that.

@BAF... I didn't mean upgrade a console. I meant it works out cheaper to upgrade a PC rather than buy a complete new system. When the next PlayStation or xBox comes out it shall just be cheeper to upgrade my PC to match the new game specs instead.

@bamccaig... Yes, it is longer for sure. To make it harder they should take the quick save out :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The price of the console is typically less than the cost of the equivalent PC video card. Do you really think you could upgrade a seven year old PC (i.e. built in 2006) at the same price and features as a PS4?

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

My computer was built by me last year and was only £250 to build. Now when PS4 comes out I just need to buy a new GFX card PCI-E that is what £80 if you go to a dealer and maybe more RAM. The RAM is cheap from retail so me getting it will be cheaper :)

If you have an OLD system then chuck it :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The point is that over all the PC is much more expensive than the console is. This is because the console vendor takes a huge hit on the console (i.e., the hardware costs more than they charge you for it) in the hope of recovering the money with game and peripheral purchases over the lifetime of the console. The console is also a much simpler solution. You don't have to worry about whether your hardware and software is properly supported. You just know it is. That makes it much easier to use. Upgrading a PC requires an understanding of the internals and their compatibility with one another, as well as knowledge of what the best bang for buck is, etc. It's MUCH easier to just go buy a console and use that. :) The only real downside to consoles is that the input mechanisms (typically controllers) are sub-optimal for some games (e.g., first-person shooters).

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I have yet to play it on the PC but I beat the single player story on the PS3 already.

I brought it two days ago but it was late at night so I left it installing over night and played for over 10 hours strait yesterday.

It took me about that long.

bamccaig said:

Another one gave me a lot of problems because the solution that I originally came up with didn't work, even though it was correct. So I then spent a frustrating hour trying to think of alternative solutions that didn't exist...

Yeah, that happened to me a few times. Usually it was because I didn't happen to see a portal-able wall section the first time leading me to come trying to come up with alternate methods. I don't think I was ever stumped for an hour though, I think 15 minutes at most.

I'm waiting until the PSN is back up before doing any coop stuff.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Now when PS4 comes out I just need to buy a new GFX card PCI-E that is what £80

Really? An £80 card is going to last throughout the life of the entire PS4? That's doubtful.

What you are suggesting is that a $500 PC bought in 2006 would still be able to play PS3 quality titles on the PC. If that's not true, then you are wrong.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

video

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

GDDR3 video memory for the RS3? with HD? "256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz"

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179657 That even beats the PS3 one. What do you think they are going to put in the PS4?

I doubt it's going to cost any more than £100 retail so I can get it for about £80.

Edit: Sorry posted wrong link xD

Append: ;D at the video there Thomas Fjellstrom.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You forget that the PS3 is a dedicated gaming machine whereas your desktop is powering an entire [bloated] operating system of services and programs on top of the game. :P

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Nyan Cat? In my Portal? My god! Good form of torture.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

At least with a PC you will (with a very high degree of certainty) be able to play your old games when you upgrade ;)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I have a fair number of old (16 bit) games that won't play because I supposedly don't have enough memory. Signed numbers fail at times.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

At least with a PC you will (with a very high degree of certainty) be able to play your old games when you upgrade ;)

At least with a console you can easily keep the old one around to guarantee (with a VERY high degree of certainty) that you'll be able to play your old games when you upgrade. ;) In any case, my PS3 can play most PS1 and PS2 games (certainly the ones I care about). :) I also have a PS2 that can do the same. I wish I still had my original PlayStation (for nostalgia). Combined I bet they costed[1] a fraction of how much any one of us has spent on PC hardware since ~1995. :P Hell, it's a fraction of what I spent on my latest computer. :P

References

1. IIRC, when I bought them the PlayStation was about $200, PlayStation 2 was about $200, and my PlayStation 3 was $650 = ~$1050 in ~16 years (and counting).
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

At least with a PC you will (with a very high degree of certainty) be able to play your old games when you upgrade

Except in the case where the developers were MONKEYS. FF7 PC was a hack job. Some things go way too fast if you try and run it on a computer twice (or more) the speed. Especially if you try and use the tnt2+ acceleration support.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Desmond, I repeat: can a PC machine you bought for $500 in 2006 play modern games at 720p/1080p? If the answer is no, then the PS3 was cheaper.

And yes, you can claim you "upgraded" a previous machine. But at some point you a) have to include the initial cost and b) upgrade your motherboard/cpu/ram/video card (which is a basically complete upgrade). If you want to take upgrading into consideration, then you need also need to subtract the cost of selling off the PS3 when buying a PS4.

PC specs are not 1:1 equivalent with a consoles. More can be done with less on a console due to it being a stable platform. Also, developers cannot be as lazy when targeting consoles because they cannot simply raise the minimum hardware specs and tell people to upgrade.

You can argue that PC games have better graphics or are more fun or have cheaper software or something like that, but I don't see how you can back up the claim that the hardware is cheaper.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

bamccaig said:

You forget that the PS3 is a dedicated gaming machine whereas your desktop is powering an entire [bloated] operating system of services and programs on top of the game.

Yea, but. The graphics card link I posted is a lot more RAM to cover the Desktop too :P

There isn't much anyone can say that will make me change my mind on this because for me "Personally" it's cheaper to upgrade my machine than own loads of consoles. On top of that you make money on you're old parts.

I need to upgrade my computer because it's getting obsolete. It's not even at PS3 spec's graphics wise. Everything else is much faster than a PS3.

1   2   3 

Go to: