Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Neil Roy said:

No thanks.

Thats too bad. I was actually interested in your evidence.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Hayzoos?

Hey, if you want to stay ignorant, go ahead.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Hey, if you want to stay ignorant, go ahead.

You have it backwards buddy.

I looked at both sides; I studied their reasons, their evidence, their principles, etc. with objectivity (having no knowledge of anything really previously). After a fair amount of research, reading, and classes, I decided that a mountain of empirical evidence and scientific fact was better than mystical, imaginary figures for weak minded fools that need their hands held throughout their life.

Belief in a man in the sky that watches over our every move and who is responsible for our creation, despite this already being denied and falsified by the general scientific community, is laughable.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I looked at both sides; I studied their reasons, their evidence, their principles, etc. with objectivity

This is obviously not true, if you believe that Jesus probably never existed. It's quite clear that there was a historical figure named Jesus who started a new religious movement (Christianity) about two thousand years ago. Denying that is evidence that you haven't really studied anything.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Towards the object of "God", that is.

It's been about 3 years since I read a book (by Victor J. Stenger) that did, in fact, talk about a man that could have been Jesus, but certainly wasn't divine.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thats too bad. I was actually interested in your evidence.

I wouldn't mind, but I've already experienced what some of the others are like in here and I'm only interested in intelligent conversation between decent people who aren't rude, sarcastic or otherwise mocking of what I believe.

I have a friend in Norway I have spent many hours discussing this with and what I think, he doesn't believe in God, but he isn't rude, mocking or sarcastic about it. And so I enjoy our talks. In fact, I think we disagree on religion and politics, but I consider him a good friend who is respectful, as I respect his opinions.

Also, sometimes I can get a little stuck as to how to answer something and it will come to me later... so I don't think I would necessarily do God a service. ;) Putting into words what I have researched over close to 30 years in a few sentences just isn't going to happen, and i doubt very much anything I say will pass without being picked apart by evolutionary arguments.... it just goes on forever. And I would prefer to stay on friendly terms with most of the people here. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Go to: