Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

type568 said:

How does one delete his posts?

With the edit button, select all, delete and Update Post?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It really isn't that interesting if you're not willing to even try to consider any other view points but your own.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

There, I just demonstrated how to delete them. Scroll up, I gave plenty of examples of posts replaced with: "Edit: debate ended, at least for me. ;)"

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

const char attitude[] = "<shrug>";

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I dunno, I've always had a low view of people who edit afterwards. Makes you seem like a kid trying to hide something they did wrong.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I was fine with the various replies actually... until I start seeing insulting responses like:

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAH!!111!11one!1! OH MAN.For a second there, I thought you were serious... You might as well deny the existence of planet Earth, or gravity, or yourself. You don't have to "believe" it, but the simple truth is: Evolution is real. It is a fact of life. Even someone like you can run simple experiments to prove it. You silly, silly man .

That's where I realize I need to delete my posts to avoid people trying to drag me into a debate I no longer wish to take part in.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Neil Roy said:

t's where I realize I need to delete my posts to avoid people trying to drag me into a debate I no longer wish to take part in.

Do what I do, ignore the thread.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Do what I do, ignore the thread.

I usually do that with debate-threads that I know I'll get heated in; but there have been too many of these threads since the last one I posted in to let this one pass by unscathed.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

If I edit a post to change what was said (other than spelling errors) I always put a nice big [EDIT] in there. Nice of you to imply I'm a liar.

It was sarcasm, genius. ::) Why would I care about something that I don't regard (which you must have picked up from current discussion) and you can't be bothered to actually post?

PS: I'm no creationist, but I'm no evolutionist either. A skim of the last 100 posts hows nothing but talk on either side anyway.

9e7d886104348820c74166b155c3f840.gif

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I dunno, I've always had a low view of people who edit afterwards. Makes you seem like a kid trying to hide something they did wrong.

This. :)

Although dunno.. Kinda of, what you have said is said.. If you're off the thread, just leave it. Well, make sure no one is awaiting for your specific answer on something.. Let'em know you're off and go off. Why delete? :)

And..
I thought there was some way to actually delete. Perhaps it could be useful.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

PS: I'm no creationist, but I'm no evolutionist either.

Good thing you edited that. :P

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Good thing, indeed. I'm a freaking ninja like that.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I edit some of my posts to refine my meaning. Sometimes a lot. I should preview more often.

Neil Roy said:

When I say I am done with the topic, that means I am done.

You don't seem to think through your posts very well. You said this in a reply to a topic that you said you were done with after having said you were done with it. Clearly you really didn't mean you were done with it, because you wouldn't have came back to post about it again and whine about it.

I never post the word polysaccharides, or use italics, or use the roll eyes emoticon. ::)

You just make it way too easy man. There's nothing wrong with being wrong. I'm wrong all the time. No need to get all upset over it.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Neil Roy said:

Seriously, it was an interesting subject, but we've debated it to death, or at least I have.

You haven't debated a bit. All you've done so far is make claims without backing them up.
You claim that God exists, but fail to provide a definition, let alone evidence.
You claim that the Evolution theory is wrong, waving away the overwhelming amount of evidence (and common sense) that supports it, postulating an alternative for which you cannot provide any evidence.

Now, instead of debating, we could also just try to open-mindedly exchange religious thoughts and ideas; I'm always interested in what people believe in and how they make sense of things - it's how I made up my own spiritual mind. Just please don't make any claims about the "truth" unless you can back them up with evidence.

And to settle this one once and for all: Being a true Atheist is not the easy way out. In the absence of a God, you'll have to face the existential questions yourself:

• why are we here?

• what happens when we die?

• what is the meaning of Life?

• where do we come from?

I've found my answers, but it was quite a wild ride. Accepting a God and taking someone's word for it would have been way easier.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

You haven't debated a bit. All you've done so far is make claims without backing them up.

Don't fool yourself. There's not a person in this thread that you didn't just describe.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

BTW. Why is it that I've never heard about creationists being active in Europe?

Excepting the pope...
edit: No! It seems, even the pope has "accepted" the theory of evolution, i. e. said it was "worth of study". :o

Idealius
Member #1,619
November 2001

How smart you are is inversely proportional to how religious you would enjoy being, however ignorance is bliss, and the only thing to be sure of is irony. So, think long and hard about your choices and how you envision your life to be day-to-day.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Is it too late to say "in before lock"?

the '74 "evolved" from the '72, thanks for playing.

I kind of enjoyed this response. It's amusing, and I think it makes a good point — things that are so similar usually have very good reasons for being so. The '74 and the '72 share the same origin, as do humans and apes.

But the main reason I'm posting is to point out that it might be better to say that the the '72 evolved from the '74! I don't think any of us expect that an ape will somehow morph into a human over time. That's not how it works. But rather, each new generation is not quite the same as the previous generation. What I'm trying to say is that although the '72 will age and may become more similar to the '74 over time, the '72 is the new generation – slightly different from the one before it. So if anything, I'd say the '72 evolved from the '74.

Idealius said:

How smart you are is inversely proportional to how religious you would enjoy being, however ignorance is bliss, and the only thing to be sure of is irony. So, think long and hard about your choices and how you envision your life to be day-to-day.

Does this mean that people with absolutely no interest in being religious are infinitely smart? That doesn't seem quite right. Actually, maybe you're just trying to be funny or something, but I think what you said was pretty rude and unpleasant.

-----------

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Is that a computer-generated-best-guess-at-what-jesus-really-looked-like picture?

-----------

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess it's hand painted, but based on ethnologic research.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

it's hand painted

It's a computer generated image, it is visible.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

You're right:

{"name":"jesus_discovery.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3652443e8d0a732b08b355bfce64a6f4.jpg","w":250,"h":350,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3652443e8d0a732b08b355bfce64a6f4"}jesus_discovery.jpg

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

What do people who believe God created the heaven and the Earth think about this stuff; I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just (maybe dangerously) curious about how people feel about these discoveries.

Most religious people's thought process is not altered when the encounter science. For them, their God (or Gods) is a defacto reality, and most of them don't even treat their holy writings as anything but allegory anyway. Science to them is God's way to design the universe.

Go to: