Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Neil Roy said:

I understand evolution completely

From this post, for example, it's obvious that you don't. Not even a little bit. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I do have a difficult time sometimes putting my understanding and feelings into words. Which is another good reason to end this now rather than have it get more.... passionate. Believe what you wish about me. ;)

As for coding, yeah, the first computer I coded on at all was a TRS-80 model 1 with 5K RAM. :) I used to love assembly programming on my C64. Good times, I miss those days, seemed like programming was more fun, at least to me.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Neil Roy said:

As for natural selection (and who is doing the selecting?)

No-one, just like I pointed out in my previous post.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Neil Roy said:

I do have a difficult time sometimes putting my understanding and feelings into words.

You also have a difficult time finding resources that agree with your statements and are able to put it into good words. The forum supports hot-linking.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

That pretty much sums up this thread. ;)

---

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Could this get locked? It has no use anyway.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I have learned from this thread that everything is theory, no-one is right, and no amount of evidence will ever change that. Believe what you want to and try to live a full happy life. Lock it up Matthew x

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

I have learned from this thread that everything is theory, no-one is right, and no amount of evidence will ever change that.

Well you are right in a way. Not everyone will agree, and thus this is pointless. But there is a correct answer.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

But one side can be, and is right.

Only if the question and answer can be stated as a boolean, i.e. "Is there a God with such and such qualities, yes or no?". Evolution will doubtless continue to be refined (not thrown out wholesale) just as our ideas of how the nervous system worked paralleled our development of the telegraph, telephone exchanges and then computers.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

@bamccaig: Great video. That needs to be spread ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Only if the question and answer can be stated as a boolean, i.e. "Is there a God with such and such qualities, yes or no?". Evolution will doubtless continue to be refined (not thrown out wholesale) just as our ideas of how the nervous system worked paralleled our development of the telegraph, telephone exchanges and then computers.

Yeah, I corrected that before you posted. That sentence was completely false.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Fuck that.

You want to promote a fictional entity (God, Vishnu, an "Intelligent Creator", the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whatever), fine, but:

• Give us a proper definition of your deity, otherwise we're talking about nothing

• You postulate the deity, so it's your burden of proof. Not the Atheist's.

Also:
{"name":"science.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53817aa38cffd1e7c7146397484748cb.jpg","w":500,"h":389,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53817aa38cffd1e7c7146397484748cb"}science.jpg
Evolution is happening, it is observable, falsifyable, and comes with a truckload of evidence to support it.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Derezo said:

@bamccaig: Great video. That needs to be spread

It's a horrible video. He kept talking about Eve-olution. What is this, some creationist propaganda? >:(

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

IMHO thinking of God/... as the creator is an obvious anthropomorphism. It's a bit related to idolatry.

'Making' something is a fundamental part of human life. So people made their gods (little statues etc.) and, in their anthropocentrism, thought that they were also made by some big creator, because they couldn't imagine anything else.

I think there really is a deep religious meaning in understanding that we were not 'made', that we differ from the products of our hands. That's the whole point of monotheism after all. If you 'pray' to a thing made by you, you become partially enslaved (modern example: money).

A good part of the bible is about idolatry etc., but this book has a lot of different layers. It is a formidable piece of world literature. But a mindset of interpreting it literally is exactly what Jesus criticized, if I remember correctly (scribes, teachers of the law). ;)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Anyone else have a man-crush on James Randi?

video

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Derezo said:

Anyone else have a man-crush on James Randi?

Eewww! No! But I'd shake his hand.

[EDIT]

Googling for him is quite informative.

[EDIT2]

I found this little gem wandering around the links:

We have no doubt that the Aztec beliefs were nuts. I wonder what the future will say about Christianity.“Why,” I asked the Aztec priest, “Do you intend to cut that man’s heart out?”

“Because we must.” He said.

“Why?”

“Because if we don’t sacrifice him to the Sun God, the sun will not rise tomorrow and our world will surely end.” His voice had a slight British accent, like a character in an old Hollywood biblical epic.

“Really. How do you know this?”

“Because we’ve made a sacrifice every day, and the sun has never failed to rise,” he said, looking at me as if he were talking to a particularly dense child. ”It’s obvious.”

“Why don’t you just see what happens if you let the man live?”

“We can’t take that chance. Would you risk the end of the world?”

“But it’s a man’s life…”

“No. He will not really die. All death is an illusion. He will merely move on to the next life. No doubt he’ll be happier there.”

“I suppose he will be, if people won’t kill him there to make the sun rise.”

[EDIT3]

Wait! I have seen this Randi before!

video

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Polybios said:

IMHO thinking of God/... as the creator is an obvious anthropomorphism.

Xenophanes of Colophon, ~570-475 BC said:

But mortals deem that the gods are begotten as they are, and have clothes like theirs, and voice and form.
Yes, and if oxen and horses or lions had hands, and could paint with their hands, and produce works of art as men do, horses would paint the forms of the gods like horses, and oxen like oxen, and make their bodies in the image of their several kinds.
The Ethiopians make their gods black and snub-nosed; the Thracians say theirs have blue eyes and red hair.

Also: Believers' estimates of God's beliefs are more egocentric than estimates of other people's beliefs

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I especially notice how often Jesus is depicted as a blond blue-eyed metrosexual appearing guy, not as a man in the Middle East who blended in so well that Judas had to point him out to the Roman soldiers, let alone a skinny weakling who had a very physically demanding means of working for a living.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Are you saying that Jesus was... dramatic silence black?!? BLASPHEMER!!!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Vanneto said:

Are you saying that Jesus was... dramatic silence black?!? BLASPHEMER!!!

Of course not! He looked much more like Osama bin Laden. Probably a good bit shorter.

[EDIT]

I don't know; what happened to it? You must have edited it out of your post so I couldn't see it ...

If I edit a post to change what was said (other than spelling errors) I always put a nice big [EDIT] in there. Nice of you to imply I'm a liar.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Neil Roy said:

But when it comes to evolution, it doesn't matter how much you dress it up with special effects and soft spoken charismatic scientists, the idea is still ridiculous and makes me laugh every time I hear someone say that something evolved.

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAH!!111!11one!1!

OH MAN.

For a second there, I thought you were serious...

You might as well deny the existence of planet Earth, or gravity, or yourself. You don't have to "believe" it, but the simple truth is: Evolution is real. It is a fact of life. Even someone like you can run simple experiments to prove it.

You silly, silly man.

EDIT:

Neil Roy said:

The following video makes some very good points.

No it doesn't. In fact, it doesn't make a single valid point that isn't explained thoroughly by the concepts of the Big Bang. There is absolutely nothing in that video has hasn't been addressed already. Again, do your research and/or take some formal science classes; i.e. you have no idea what you're talking about.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

And you guys wonder why I deleted all my posts in the last thread. When I say I am done with the topic, that means I am done. But you keep quoting old posts.

I may end up deleting all my old posts again so it can truly be done. :)

---

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Neil Roy said:

And you guys wonder why I deleted all my posts in the last thread. When I say I am done with the topic, that means I am done. But you keep quoting old posts.

How does one delete his posts?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You edit them and erase the content replaced by a <deleted> or maybe a dot. ;)

Seriously, it was an interesting subject, but we've debated it to death, or at least I have.

---

Go to: