Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Could you define "integrity of the texts"? :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

How much the core contents have changed over the years. Major translation errors in doctrine. What the religion says, to use Thomas' words (since that's the context). And if you link the infidel's contradictions page, re-read it.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

23yrold3yrold
Rules

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Oh no, I'm being endorsed by piccolo. :o

/terrified

Anyway, I just got actual work to do, I'll be back if anyone can stay on topic for five posts.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Thanks for all the replies, I guess ultimately it's impossible to answer. From my point of view I have never believed in any kind of God, don't ask me why I just haven't ever thought it to be possible. That's interesting (maybe) because when I heard that we are all stardust I got completely freaked and have spent a lot of my time (when I would usually be playing Battlefield 2) trying to understand how. It's never been a problem for me; for 31 years I've never even questioned how and why I'm here, and now I can't the idea out of my head. I keep looking at people going about their daily lives and feel like screaming out "OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL STARDUST!!!", it's really getting at me, and my inability to understand the science completely is actually starting to affect my daily routines.

What's interesting is that not for one second have I believed in Creationism or God (I'm not having a go at faith here, I'm all for it if it helps you stay positive), but I'm prepared to believe a different theory, so much so that I would actually dedicate my life to understanding it if it was an option to me.

I'm going to play some Battlefield now, and try not too think about it too much.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I'm not going to wade into this too deeply, and hopefully it's too late to anyway, but just keep searching for the truth, because I believe that if you sincerely search for it, you will find it. Search everyone's opinion; don't just look to science for answers; hear the other side of the story by going to church or reading the Bible. I personally don't see how anyone can believe that we were somehow spawned from dirt, apart from the hand of a Creator who had the power to create life, but the truth will stand for itself. I'll pray that you find the truth :)

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

_Kronk_ said:

I personally don't see how anyone can believe that we were somehow spawned from dirt,...

I don't think anyone believes that to be true. ::)

The process of evolution that leads to us began a very long time ago and involves an unthinkable number of iterations. That's why it's ridiculous to think of dirt or an ape suddenly spawning a human. That isn't at all what scientists theorize. :)

Perhaps that should make it clear to you that you've not given science the opportunity to explain, and are therefore opposing it simply because it refutes your beliefs.

See if you can grasp this (it's only 2 minutes of your time!):

video

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Dizzy Egg said:

"OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL STARDUST!!!"

Oh, I see what you did there. ;D

I agree with Kronk, you have to choose what you believe, but you don't have to etch that in stone. Review religions, talk with scientists and meditate on it. It's your choice what you believe and you won't be graded until death, and your grade could be between an F and an A, the color purple or simply null.

By the way, ever heard the song Dust In the Wind by Kansas?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

_Kronk_ said:

I personally don't see how anyone can believe that we were somehow spawned from dirt

You find it hard to believe, some find it incredibly easy. But thats just how it works with these kind of things and why its pointless to talk about it.

On a side note: piccolo, still waiting for that infinite energy device. 8-)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Since we all decay, I think a secular equilibrium is something to strive for.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Religion is not science and vice versa. They aren't related.

That was a very poorly thought out and constructed statement. It is entirely and wholly wrong in every manner.

<edit>
I have some things to say about that!
</edit>

Religion was created, in part, to provide answers to the unanswerable; things such as the creation of life, etc. And now, science has come along to shed light on these things, providing convincing evidence for the Big Bang and ultimately proving human evolution as undeniable fact.

As Derezo said:

Derezo said:

Religion is the original science.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

That's an argument I've heard before that sounds more like wishful thinking than fact. Science doesn't claim to explain things in religion texts; it claims they didn't happen at all because there's no scientific explanation. Science has "shed light on these things"? Okay, I'll bite; on what things specifically?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

That's an argument I've heard before that sounds more like wishful thinking than fact.

Nope. It's fact. It obviously goes much deeper, but I am not about to give you a full course on Anthropology :P

Quote:

on what things specifically?

providing convincing evidence for the Big Bang and ultimately proving human evolution as undeniable fact.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

providing convincing evidence for the Big Bang and ultimately proving human evolution as undeniable fact.

These have what to do with religion in general?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

That's an argument I've heard before that sounds more like wishful thinking than fact.

Nope. It's fact. It obviously goes much deeper, but I am not about to give you a full course on Anthropology :P

Quote:

on what things specifically?

---

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

it claims they didn't happen at all because there's no scientific explanation.

It claims they didn't happen at all because there is no evidence that they did. If person A claims something exists, and B claims it doesn't, then A needs to provide the evidence, not B. Anything else would be ridiculous, because it would mean that I could make up all sorts of things and then demand you provide evidence they don't exist.
The burden of proof is on those who claim it did happen.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It claims they didn't happen at all because there is no evidence that they did.

Cool; we're in agreement.

Damn your edits!

Mine? I'm not editing ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I'm not editing ...

Doh! a.cc choked up for a couple minutes and I got confoosed.

---

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

bamccaig said:

I don't think anyone believes that to be true.

The process of evolution that leads to us began a very long time ago and involves an unthinkable number of iterations. That's why it's ridiculous to think of dirt or an ape suddenly spawning a human. That isn't at all what scientists theorize.

So that process indirectly spawned man? Let me clarify: I don't think life just spontaneously "happened" in any form. Chains of protein don't typically just form in puddles of organic matter; and organic matter can't just appear from nothing. A star exploding billions of years in the past explains nothing: the laws of physics and reality applied then just as much as they do now. That star had to come from somewhere.

Evolution is an unproven theory created by faulted mankind that tries to explain his existence by means that factor anything but his own understanding out of the equation. And by definition, man's understanding is flawed.

:)

Vanneto said:

You find it hard to believe, some find it incredibly easy. But thats just how it works with these kind of things and why its pointless to talk about it.

But it's not pointless! The way we understand where we came from and where we are going affects the choices we make in our everyday lives. I refuse to live a life of apathy because I know that what I do today affects my life in the future; it's no different when considering matters beyond our own lifetime.

"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

These have what to do with religion in general?

Because most religions, and certainly all of the major ones, suggest their own form of creation based on myth and fantasy.

EDIT:

_Kronk_ said:

Evolution is an unproven theory

Are you kidding me? Do your fucking research, kid. It is a fact, and denying it would be like denying the existence of gravity.

---

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

Are you kidding me? Do your research, kid. It is a fact, and denying it would be like denying the existence of gravity.

Evolution is no more of a science than the spontaneous generation theories of the Greeks. It's a repackaged version that appeals to the tastes of the modern scientific community. I could argue with your statement further, but really; it is the Theory of Evolution, not the Law.

Let me be clear: I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Because most religions, and certainly all of the major ones, suggest their own form of creation based on myth and fantasy.

Since you feel so strongly about that, let's get back to the original post: what part of the Bible's (very broad) explanation of creation contradicts science?

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Do your fucking research, kid.

Amusingly, I used to believe in evolution until someone challenged me to research it. More amusingly, this was an atheist who had taken a course on it in university and couldn't believe what he was hearing as "fact". ;D Just saying "do your research" and leaving it at that can be kind of dangerous ... I had to admit defeat. And yes, I read most of talkorigins.org; don't bother linking it.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

IIRC, the word science derives from the latin word for knowledge. That's all science really is. It's knowledge. Prior to modern day science, the world was full of unexplainable things, and naturally people did their best to explain them. Unfortunately, since they hadn't acquired the knowledge that we have today, their explanations were usually very wrong and ridiculous. Of course, to people of the time, these explanations would have been very believable. So, yes, I think you could say that religion is a sort of precursor to science. It was a way to explain things. It was more than that also. It was a way to control the population. It was a way to exploit the population.

I saw a special on Discovery or something years ago detailing contraptions that "the church" had secretly contracted inventors to build to effectively trick people (i.e., you could compare these contraptions to modern day magic tricks and illusions). The people were completely fooled and believed it was magic AKA God. In reality, it was simple science (physics, mostly) creating the illusions. Of course, the churches were kept dark and "behind the curtain" was considered off limits for common folk, so you can see how easily people would be fooled.

In any case, modern day religion is something of a different beast. It is still used to some extent to explain things, but it's no longer (edit: if it ever was...) used for the betterment of humanity and is instead used to exploit it. They had a good run, but it's time to give the people their money back. >:(

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

_Kronk_ said:

Evolution is no more of a science than the spontaneous generation theories of the Greeks.

Hahahaha. You have degraded so far that I am actually laughing in my chair at your (maybe unintentional) ignorance and lack of knowledge of what it is you are actually talking about.

Whatever ;D ;D ;D

---

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

bamccaig said:

IIRC, the word science derives from the latin word for knowledge. That's all science really is. It's knowledge. Prior to modern day science, the world was full of unexplainable things, and naturally people did their best to explain them. Unfortunately, since they hadn't acquired the knowledge that we have today, their explanations were usually very wrong and ridiculous. Of course, to people of the time, these explanations would have been very believable.

And the cycle repeats itself :)

Quote:

In any case, modern day religion is something of a different beast. It is still used to some extent to explain things, but it's no longer used for the betterment of humanity and is instead used to exploit it. They had a good run, but it's time to give the people their money back.

That's not my kind of religion :)

Go to: