Member #2,229
April 2002

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Neil Roy said:

Interesting that you pulled all that from John 3:13.

Pulled what?

I'm making no definite statement at all regarding that verse. You are the one building a doctrine out of it. You cannot know what I believe as I've not stated it.

Edit, PS:

Maybe I should put this into my sig:

2 Kings 2:1,11 "And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind ... stuff happens ... and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind."

So now you get into word games, where you just say "that heaven is the sky", etc. But that's just silly.

It's easier and less hassle to just not claim Jesus meant nobody has ever or will ever go to heaven.

After all, I could claim my dead father is in heaven because he died after Jesus said that. So now you need to come up with another verse that bars him from heaven, and so on.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm speaking of reading the entire passage. I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand. You should ask, "What's the point of this passage or story?" And take away the meaning from that. Pulling one verse and building a doctrine out of it can make for some interesting ideas... And yes, I think many (if not most) doctrines taught by Christian churches are made up like that.

Let's assume Jesus did mean literally that. You are still extrapolating a doctrine out of it.

Did he say: "no man has ever gone into heaven, and no man will ever go into heaven?" You are adding that last bit.

Maybe somebody who died the next day after that statement got an express ticket up there.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Matthew is probably the most apathetic person on this forum. I doubt you can actually upset him. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

John 14:1-3

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Why do you think I believe people go to heaven when they die? ???

Here are some of my "beliefs":

• The Bible never teaches that people go to heaven upon death.

• The Bible clearly states that Elijah went to a place called heaven.

• Jesus meant that no living man had ever been to heaven and come back to talk about it. As such, that was the reason why Nicodemus couldn't understand what Jesus was talking about. Because "we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen."

Of course, regarding the third point, I'm reading some meaning into the verse. But I'm not building a doctrine. That is, I don't think Jesus' statement either confirms or denies anything about a man being able to go to heaven either in the past or the future.

It's silly to think that passage is what Jesus said verbatim to Nicodemus. It would have been like a three minute conversation. Instead, we get a condensed version of the story. So that's why pulling out a verse here or there and treating it as the foundation of a doctrine is a bit sketchy.

Neil Roy said:

I have to assume that they don't go to heaven

That's as close as I'll get to you from a confession that you are making up a portion of your doctrine. So I don't need anything more from you.

Vanneto said:

I doubt you can actually upset him.

Very true. You could insult my own mother in front of me, and I'd just laugh at (or with) you. 8-)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Neil Roy said:

No man has GONE into heaven, Elijah went into heaven...

With that I'm done. ;D

must resist urge...

I'll say no more, I promise. 8-)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

/popcorn

SiegeLord said:

It is said that "heck is other people", so why would I want to go heaven full of people I don't like?

Where is it said? What does that mean? What does that have to do with the quote you responded to? If you're right, have you questioned enough? What kind of people do you assume have questioned more or less than you? No idea where you're coming from here ... so many odd presuppositions ... teach me your belief system! ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Where is it said?

The internets.

Quote:

What does that mean?

It means that there's nothing worse than other human beings.

Quote:

What does that have to do with the quote you responded to?

Well, you questioned my having odd criteria... and I explained my reasoning.

Quote:

What kind of people do you assume have questioned more or less than you? No idea where you're coming from here ... so many odd presuppositions ...

There are no hard boundaries. Being in the sciences means having a comparable level of questioning to my own, and not being in them probably means having less.

Quote:

teach me your belief system! ;D

My belief system is Bayesian inference. There are nice texts on it on the internets and off them.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Onewing said:

Hmmm, if God proved himself to you, proved to you heaven and hell and proved to you what you had to do for the rights to heaven, would you choose to follow then or still choose to do as you saw fit, knowing well that it could lead to hell?

I've long held that view that if God wants me to believe, then He'll give some kind of a sign, or set of circumstances to me to allow me to believe. Since God is all knowing etc. He must know that there is no way I personally could not possibly have faith in Him or in any of the stories in the bible in my current circumstances.

The bible was written by humans, and I see no reason to believe their word over the thousands of other humans telling me all sorts of other things — stories about different kinds of deities, and other supernatural events/powers/places; stories with different sorts of morals and belief systems. Why should I trust and have faith in one system of belief over another? The only way I can truly believe something is if I can understand the reason and evidence myself. There are a lot of people in the world out there saying a lot of crazy things; some are obviously not true, some are less obviously not true, and some are actually true! It isn't always easy to tell the difference, and I wouldn't want to get it wrong on something as important as the existence of God.

In conversations like this one, a quote attributed to Buddha comes to my mind

Buddha said:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

To me, that kind of reasoning is at the heart of wisdom. It has been a core part of my believe system since as long as I can remember.

I cannot possibly believe in God or what is said in the bible without some kind of sign from God. God should know and understand this. So I can only conclude that either God doesn't exist, or that God doesn't want me to believe in Him. I can only hope that my circumstances don't ultimately result in an eternity in hell or something like that. I think that would be unfair.

The main reason I'm saying all of this is that it seems to me most of this thread is kind arguing at cross purposes. I don't think anyone really cares much about what the teachings of God are until they actually believe in God. Without faith in God, the words of the bible are just stories to be picked apart and mocked. Clearly the wording of the bible is not precise enough to avoid argument; and where it seems precise but inaccurate, we can always interpret it as a metaphor or something.

As for the idea that we should be free to believe whatever we like, and not care whether or not other people believe in God — well it's a nice thought, but I don't think it's so simple. Different belief systems can lead to a clash of morals and values. A few things that spring to mind are the clash of religion and science on the issues such as the origin of species and the creation of the earth; there are also political issues such as what are the appropriate punishments for crimes and who may marry whom; and there are other more personal issues such as whether marriage is important for your relationship - which may be a sexual relationship.

A gay couple wanting to get married, or an atheist wanting to have premarital sex with their religious partner may find that the heart of their conflict is the question of whether God is real. So often it really does matter what other people believe, because it affects us – politically, personally, scientifically.

-----------

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

SiegeLord said:

The internets.

And I thought it came from "No Exit" by Jean-Paul Sartre. :P

Quote:

It means that there's nothing worse than other human beings.

I don't think thats what Sartre meant.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm trying to think of a reason for you to delete all of your previous posts... but the only thing I'm coming up with is so that you can then claim that they were better than they actually were and no one can go look at them to see for themselves.

I'm sorry, Neil Roy, but it really seemed like you just kept repeating the same assertion over and over without giving a good response to Matthew's counter-arguments, and then deleted all the evidence when you were backed into a corner.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Neil Roy said:

Bah, you ignored my entire post and then do a partial quote... I'll delete my posts from here, this is far too frustrating. You quote a verse that says someone did, I quote one that says they didn't. And we each have an explanation... only I don't do partial quotes to make you look bad... that's your job. I can't recall the verse where it indicates Elijah was still on earth and sent a letter... but I am sure YOU would still argue the point and find some other nitpicky thing, which I would then reply to and you would post a partial quote yet again with a big smiley face... I got suckered into this... my beliefs are a joke to you. You win... congrats... I should have known better.....

Neil, I don't think deleting your posts is a good idea. If the problem is that the quotes have been taken out of context, or that people have misinterpreted what you have said, then surely it's far better to leave your posts intact so that other people have a chance to read them and interpret them as well, and to check the context etc. If a few people disagree with you, misunderstand you, mock you, or whatever - I don't see that as a reason for you to hide all your thoughts from everyone else.

If you disagree with your own posts, or if you think you have expressed your point in such as way as to invite misinterpretation, then maybe you should consider removing the posts. But if you truly believe what you have said then you should stand by it. Don't delete it just because someone disagreed with you or misunderstood you.

-----------

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

You guys suck. Wasn't scaring Chris away enough for you? :-X

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

---

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Vanneto said:

And I thought it came from "No Exit" by Jean-Paul Sartre. :P

Ok.

Quote:

I don't think thats what Sartre meant.

That's news to me.

EDIT: Let's all show solidarity with Neil Roy and blank all our posts.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Neil Roy said:

Believe what you wish, I couldn't give a fuck.

I prefer to believe the best of people. But deleting all your posts looks really bad. Now I only have my memory to go on for what was actually said, and I find myself assuming the worst.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

No account deletion button. Do me a favour and delete my account from these forums. It'll make everyone happy, including me.

This is exactly why I don't like to discuss my beliefs. My posts are deleted because I am through arguing the subject, and given the responses you're posting now, I was right to do so.

---

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Another religion thread comes to its inevitable outcome. Next time let's all be even more obstinate and closed-minded! :D

All out of popcorn; back to coding ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

@Niel Roy

Rather than even referencing the Elijah "contradiction" I would rather say that using Jesus's rebuttal to Nicodemus as a "nobody goes to heaven" seems to contradict more the entire Gospel than just (if at all) Elijah. Saying that nobody goes to heaven or that there is no heaven doesn't align with just about anything in the NT or OT.

Go to: