Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A question to all the married men

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A question to all the married men
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Vanneto said:

Damn. If there is a God, you win, if there isn't, you wont know. Its win-win for you.

What if there is a God, but not the one we thought?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He just gets madder and madder every time we go to church.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Onewing said:

God is in the realm of the unknown

You state that as an axiom. Something that everyone will accept as true. I think this is an invalid assumption.
Just to point out that any conclusions you draw following this statement will not necessarily be universally accepted as true.

Quote:

But, to say that it is a fact that God does not exist, that is the same as saying all things unknown do not exist.

No, it really isn't.

I know people get offended by the implied comparison, but if I know fairy-tales are make-belief and fairies don't actually exist, and I don't see a logical reason for why I'd believe one but not the other. The fact that there are many more grown up people in the world that think God is real than there are that think fairies are real isn't a valid argument.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other what people believe. If believing in God helps them get through their day a bit better, if the thought that somewhere there's always someone watching out for you, the idea that the universe is not a cold and uncaring place helps them get through their day, then fine. Why take that away from them?
It becomes a different thing when religion becomes an opressive or negative influence on people's lives (which happens) or if one group of people's believes start to interfere with those of another group. On an individual level, everyone should be free to believe what they want though (which doesn't mean that their beliefs can't be debated or disagreed with).

Quote:

it does bug me when people say so matter-of-factly that God doesn't exist, kind of how it would bug the non-believers if I ended every post with "May God be with you."

I understand (or I think I do - I'm trying to imagine my emotional response to unjust and untrue statements about people I love, but for the most part I think I would actually just ignore those).
At the same time, it has to be possible to discuss that statement as well as arguments for and against. The freedom to openly believe should come with the freedom to openly not believe (or believe differently), as well as arguments for one or the other.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Evert said:

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other what people believe. If believing in God helps them get through their day a bit better, if the thought that somewhere there's always someone watching out for you, the idea that the universe is not a cold and uncaring place helps them get through their day, then fine. Why take that away from them?

If a question posted here involves Christian ideals as the OP did, then it needs to be pushed back.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

To clarify, it bugs me just as much when someone says as if it is a fact that God does exist. There's no factual proof.

So what I'm trying to put forward so each side can properly respect each others views is to use less underlying implications and state "I believe this" or "God doesn't exist in my opinion". I suppose I should say the same should go for clarification when it comes to talking about fairies, but as you also stated, there's not a lot of separation in that belief.

Evert said:

At the same time, it has to be possible to discuss that statement as well as arguments for and against.

I couldn't agree more and it can be difficult. Going back to what I said earlier, if I were to say "May God bless you," it is definitely not meant to insult anyone, but I've seen it do just that. On the flip side, you may see it as completely illogical for a god to exist and therefore need no reason to state "imho" along with "there is no god", but it can have that same adverse effect as "May God bless you."

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

The First Law of Philosophy: For every philosopher, there exists an equal and opposite philosopher.

The Second Law of Philosophy: They're both wrong.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Thread count did balloon, last time I saw it was 2 pages, now its 6, look what I started lolll.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Consider this.

Our bodies are from heaven ("out there" -- the stars), and made up of trillions of organic, living cells which share a single mind. Yet, we appear dualistic in nature. We have left and right sides, male and female genders, etc.

All life is "alien". Genetic matter rained into the oceans from heaven, like the pollination of a space embryo. These things aren't everywhere, but there is one here.

Time and space are relative. When you are is where you are and what you will is what you were.

The three concepts of past, future and present are represented by the trinity. The father, the son, and the holy spirit. The "one God", they are relative.

All symbols are fictitious and often illusory tools of the mind. Words, texts, numbers. They represent shared and constructed knowledge amongst our species and are not of the natural world ("the garden"), they require knowledge. If you believe in the story, and I suggest you don't, a woman stole the fruit from the tree of knowledge and we got kicked out.

If you ask me, I say the creatures who wrote that book want to be the god in it for their own ambitions... and there's nothing wrong with that.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It's not 4/20 yet :P

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

what does that mean?

April 20th?

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Ask van houtte.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

me points at non-Christians making their own definition of "faith" and then blaming Christians for not using it.

The multiple definitions of faith go back centuries, and since most English speaking people then were Christians, they're to blame for the fiasco. :P

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Ask van houtte.

ss4410, it means he's making fun of you for being a virgin

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

WSJ.com said:

Across Japan, 3,676 are confirmed to have died in Friday's quake and tsunami, the National Police Agency said, and 7,558 were confirmed missing, putting the combined tally past 10,000.

The reports started from 36.. x100
R.I.P.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Some of the dead were married men and women who may have believed in God and the Bible.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

I still dont get it van, how 4/20 relates to me being a virgin. Oh well.

A funny comeback I guess would be "and I guess you never will". Lool

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

420 is something I found on the subject.

Take what the rest of these people tell you with a grain of salt. The original question was probably asked to the wrong group: When you are looking for advice, you probably want it from like-minded individuals who would share similar or beliefs. People on Allegro don't.

I remember that the original question was regarding WHEN to propose: earlier or later. I also recall that you didn't state that you wanted to know if you (or the other person if you were talking about someone else) should get married: you had already made that decision that you would.

Don't let Allegro tell you what to do with your marriage. Don't let them talk you out of marriage. Don't let them talk you into it.

I assume from your posts that you believe in God. In that case, while you can/should get advice from Mom & Dad, or your bishop/pastor/minister, make sure you pray and find out for yourself. Don't just take others' words on it. Get your own answer. Whatever you do, though, don't get advice from Allegro. They can barely piece together a working game. What makes you think they can piece together a working marriage? ;D

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

OnlineCop said:

When you are looking for advice, you probably want it from like-minded individuals who would share similar or beliefs.

I disagree. People with the same beliefs are most likely to just echo what you've already decided, which is pretty pointless. By getting answers from people with different beliefs, you can [attempt to] weigh both sides up objectively and come to a better decision.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Good point online cop, both points are valid Lenny,

For example if I'm a Christian and I believe in God and live my life accordingly, does it make sense to seek counsel from those that share a different world perspective. Kinda like an athiest would likely not go to a priest to ask him questions about God as the priest has a totally different world view.

The opposite is also true in many situations, like a simple example is politics. A republican should not only talk to his republican constituents to get feedback as to what to implement a new law in his/her district. The republican law maker should get feedback from both his republican and democratic constituents not just one side that only shares his/her views.

So I see both sides.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

does it make sense to seek counsel from those that share a different world perspective

Yes. I do it all the time.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Kinda like an athiest would likely not go to a priest to ask him questions about God as the priest has a totally different world view.

If I don't believe in God, why would I want to ask questions about him? It'd be like asking about how to square the circle. OTOH, if I was having marital troubles, I would listen to what the priest had to say.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

OnlineCop said:

When you are looking for advice, you probably want it from like-minded individuals who would share similar or beliefs.

Then again, maybe not. It is very often good to get opinions from people who think differently, unless you are so close-minded that you think the fact that they have a different worldview automatically invalidates any advice they may give.

Quote:

Don't just take others' words on it. Get your own answer.

Damn right. Been said several times before in this thread too.

Quote:

What makes you think they can piece together a working marriage?

I find that rather insulting to everyone who posts here and is either married or in a dedicated long-term relationship. Just so you know.

does it make sense to seek counsel from those that share a different world perspective.

Yes, it does. For several reasons.

Quote:

Kinda like an athiest would likely not go to a priest to ask him questions about God as the priest has a totally different world view.

I already know what I think of God. If I want to know what a priest thinks about God, then who else am I going to ask?
I'm likely more interested in understanding the psychological or social implications of what he has to say, or the cultural and historical background though. Or philosophy.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

For example if I'm a Christian and I believe in God and live my life accordingly, does it make sense to seek counsel from those that share a different world perspective. Kinda like an athiest would likely not go to a priest to ask him questions about God as the priest has a totally different world view.

Different world views are refreshing.
Hearing someone else say something you already thought up yourself gives a quick ego boost, but it gets old quick. I've had quite a few interesting conversations with deeply religious (yet open-minded) people.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

True,true

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

I'm late to this thread so didn't bother reading most of it.
But as a married man, I recommend reading The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman together. Because you are in a new relationship, there is a lot of passion that will begin to fade (usually takes about 2 years or so). This is more or less when this book comes in, though I'd start getting "into the habit" of communicating your love to your future wife immediately.

Also, if you plan on having kids, I suggest reading "Tender Warrior" I can't recall the author. But its a very good read on what it takes to "be a man".

Go to: