Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Egypt

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Egypt
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If you expected the answer to Life and Everything to appear when you pressed the 'i' key, that'd be a religion.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Your faith in the 'i' key is strong. But will you give your life for it? :P

Firstly... I wouldn't use the word faith. Secondly, no. I allow a small possibility of my key malfunctioning, so I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'd bet $100 though.

If you expected the answer to Life and Everything to appear when you pressed the 'i' key, that'd be a religion.

Not necessarily. It'd become a religion if you kept pressing 'i' and nothing of the sort happening and you still maintaining that belief.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

OTOH, I've never heard of a religious or astrological viewpoint altered due to new facts, or even how these viewpoints were arrived at, they're just "given" as The Word or something.

And I, on the other hand, hear this routinely. Now look at our respective environments and wonder how it could possibly be otherwise.

SiegeLord said:

Firstly... I wouldn't use the word faith.

I would. My keyboard stopped working on Saturday. I was faithfully tapping away at it ... nothing. >:(

SiegeLord said:

I have a belief that next time I press the key 'i' on my keyboard it will result in the letter 'i' being presented on the screen. Is that a religion?

Unfortunately, you need to watch out for definition nitpicking here. I used to joke that I was one of the most nonreligious people here because, by the definition set forth by the atheists, I personally wasn't very religious at all. So really, the answer could be yes, the answer could be no, depending on how you wanted to go about framing it.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

SiegeLord said:

Not necessarily. It'd become a religion if you kept pressing 'i' and nothing of the sort happening and you still maintaining that belief.

So you think we're just very lucky animals? Why is it that no creature on this earth has ANY of the amazing comforts many of us enjoy (ok, some pets do). Did evolution produce only one decent specimen?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Black's definition is the correct one. It's also the first one, not the one you feel like picking to conform to your own beliefs.

They're ALL the correct definitions, since the word has more than one meaning. And whether it's the first definition or not depends entirely on which dictionary you look the word up in.

You're also just picking the definition that conforms to your own beliefs.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Edgar said:

God's word is proof of itself.

That's just silly. Even ignoring the fact that it's a circular argument, why would any non-believer take God's word as proof when they don't believe in God?

God's Word proves itself, but you actually have to read it with understanding first. They can feel free to read it, and tell me what isn't true about it. It's also a circular argument to say "I don't believe in God, so I won't take God's Word as proof that He exists".

SiegeLord said:

What I see in this thread has nothing to do with rational belief.

I see that you have little (no) faith in God, but do you also have such little faith in me that you don't think I can decide for myself whether the Bible is true or not? To date, nothing I've ever read in the Bible has been proven to be false or a lie.

Christianity is founded on faith. If you don't have any faith, you will never understand Christianity, at least that's what I think. The just shall live by faith.

Tobias Dammers said:

Hilarious. I pointed out flawed reasoning, and you come back with more flawed reasoning of the same kind. I point out how the Bible cannot prove itself by merely claiming to be the Word of God, and you throw more Bible quotes at me. It may all make sense to you, but objectively speaking, it doesn't.

Except the reasoning isn't flawed. The Bible can prove itself, but you have to read it with understanding and be willing to take some things on faith for a while.

SiegeLord said:

You need a really outlandish perspective, in my opinion, to consider belief in God rational given all the evidence available to date.

What evidence do you have that proves God doesn't exist? Hmmm?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Why is it that no creature on this earth has ANY of the amazing comforts many of us enjoy

Doubtless the beavers think that about their dams and lodges.

[EDIT]

Being unable to prove the lack of something isn't proof that something exists. I can say that since you can't prove there isn't a teapot orbiting Saturn, it must exist.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

What evidence do you have that proves God doesn't exist? Hmmm?

He doesn't need to disprove anything. That's his religion.

Doubtless the beavers think that about their dams and lodges.

Leave your door open for a day in the Canadian winter. See how many animals come inside.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

SiegeLord said:

Firstly... I wouldn't use the word faith.

You explicitly said that you believe it will work. It was implied that you had confidence that pressing the key would make an 'i' appear on the screen. That, good sir, is faith. At least, by the definition that I and all the Christians I know use for faith.

LennyLen said:

You're also just picking the definition that conforms to your own beliefs.

Yes... yes we are. Others pick the beliefs that conform to their definition (which is fine), and then try to force those beliefs on us (which is not fine) by saying that we believe the things that conform to the other definition.

I see no problem with using the definition of the word "faith" that best fits the understanding I have of faith.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Go to: