Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Egypt

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Egypt
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Rolly eyes?
I'm not going to believe in a certain religion just because 'powerful' or 'popular' people do.

Wikipedia said:

The Church of Scientology is one of the most controversial new religious movements to have arisen in the 20th century. It has often been described as a cult that financially defrauds and abuses its members, charging exorbitant fees for its spiritual services.[9][18][19] The Church of Scientology has consistently used litigation against such critics, and its aggressiveness in pursuing its foes has been condemned as harassment.[20][21] Further controversy has focused on Scientology's belief that souls ("thetans") reincarnate and have lived on other planets before living on Earth.[22] Former members say that some of Hubbard's writings on this remote extraterrestrial past, included in confidential Upper Levels, are not revealed to practitioners until they have paid thousands of dollars to the Church of Scientology.[23][24] Another controversial belief held by Scientologists is that the practice of psychiatry is destructive and abusive and must be abolished

Good luck getting real psychological help from Scientology, Thomas.

Here's what I think about Scientology from a biblical perspective :

Matthew 12:30 said:

He that is not with Me is against Me; and he that gathereth not with Me scattereth abroad.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm not going to believe in a certain religion just because 'powerful' or 'popular' people do.

I never suggested that. I think you missed the point entirely.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

All in IMHO

Religion sucks because it is about someone else's experience of gOd/union with the universe.

Really all that matters is one own experience or not of gOd.

Though most spiritual/mystical texts/traditions seem to agree at their core that the ultimate truth is that each and every one of us is our own gOd of our own universe.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. 23 Skidoo. And other such pontifications, and masonic illuminati sigils and signs.

www.justanotherturn.com

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I think you missed the point entirely.

Yes, I think I did. What was your point?

It is a parody, designed to demonstrate the rhetoric and argumentative devices employed in organized religions; if this hurts your religious feelings, then chances are your religion does the same thing.

It doesn't just offend me, but I would say it offends God as well. He took the time to write his word so we would have a guide how to live in the flesh, and you spit on it by equating God with an abomination. God treats idol worship as if it were adultery. You want to cheat on God with your mistress the FSM and hurt his feelings, that's your choice. God divorced Israel, he might divorce you too.

Dueteronomy 5:6-10 said:

6 I am the LORD thy God, Which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
7 Thou shalt have none other gods before Me.
8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth :
9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them : for I the LORD thy God am a jealous GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me,
10 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me and keep my commandments.

If I was you, I would apologize to Him.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

It doesn't just offend me, but I would say it offends God as well. He took the time to write his word so we would have a guide how to live in the flesh, and you spit on it by equating God with an abomination. God treats idol worship as if it were adultery. You want to cheat on God with your mistress the FSM and hurt his feelings, that's your choice.

Based on elementary logic, it can be concluded that a God, as depicted in the Bible, cannot exist. An omniscient, omnipotent, eternal being that is also man-like and requires prayer and worship is logically impossible. Without Him, the world is just as explainable as with Him, but with fewer contradictions, so empirically speaking, the evidence is against Him. This is in no way meant to be offensive.

In case you find my picture offensive; guess what, I find pictures of Christian symbols offensive at times.

Quote:

Dueteronomy 5:6-10 said:

You cannot use Bible quotes as evidence unless you first prove all of the following:

• God exists

• God wrote the Bible (or He dictated it, and the humans writing it down did not make any mistakes)

• God did not make any mistakes while writing (or dictating) the Bible

• God was being completely honest with us while writing the Bible; He only put "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" in it

Unfortunately, the only evidence you produce for God's existence comes from the Bible, so we're kind of arguing in circles here:
You: "God exists"
Me: "How do you know?"
You: "It's in the Bible."
Me: "How do you know what the Bible says is true?"
You: "God wrote it."
(rinse & repeat)

Also, please note:

• I am not trying to convert anyone to any form of belief or disbelief. If you want to believe in God, fine with me. But you cannot use the contents of your religion as arguments in a discussion without backing them with real evidence.

• The Pastafari Church was designed as a silly, yet perfectly valid religion. The goal was to force the Kansas authorities to make a choice: Grant true Freedom of Religion and treat Pastafarianism and Creationism equally (making schools teach either both of them or none), or admit to religious bias and violation of one of the fundamental Human Rights.

• My challenge is still open. In fact, let's make it a bet: If you can mock my Atheism (or should I say, my non-theistic spirituality) in a way that really offends me, I'll attend a Christian service next sunday. I'll even pay attention and summarize the sermon for you. I'm serious about this. If you need more information about my beliefs, feel free to ask.

• It's spelled "Deuteronomy".

• The personal pronouns for deities are capitalized ("He", "Him", "His"); it is a customary sign of respect.

Quote:

God divorced Israel, he might divorce you too.

He can't. We're not married.

Quote:

If I was you, I would apologize to Him.

No. If you were me, you'd find it utterly silly to apologize to an imaginary entity.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'm somewhat OK with what Tobias said :-p
;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Proverbs 1:7 said:

The reverence of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge :
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

You cannot use Bible quotes as evidence unless you first prove all of the following:

• God exists

• God wrote the Bible (or He dictated it, and the humans writing it down did not make any mistakes)

• God did not make any mistakes while writing (or dictating) the Bible

• God was being completely honest with us while writing the Bible; He only put "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" in it

• John verse 1 said:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John verse 10 said:

He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.

John verse 14 said:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Revelations 19:13 said:

And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood : and His name is called The Word Of God.

God's word is proof of itself. You can't say the Bible doesn't exist, and the Bible says that God is His Word. Whether you believe that or not is up to you. Jesus Christ is the Word of God, and there's historical evidence to support the stories in the Bible (King Solomon and his temple for one).

• Jesus is the Word of God, and his work and Word was documented by several of his apostles (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John).

• People can make mistakes. Saying God doesn't exist because the Bible isn't perfect is silly. Here's what Jesus has to say :

Matthew 13:10-16 said:

10 And the disciples came, and said unto Him, "Why speakest Thou unto them in parables?"
    11 He answered and said unto them, "Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
    13 Therefore speak I to them in parables : because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
    14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive :
    15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
    16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

• I believe He put as much truth in it as we can handle for now. Some people handle it better than others, and some aren't ready for it yet.

Tobias Dammers said:

Unfortunately, the only evidence you produce for God's existence comes from the Bible, so we're kind of arguing in circles here:
You: "God exists"
Me: "How do you know?"
You: "It's in the Bible."
Me: "How do you know what the Bible says is true?"
You: "God wrote it."

No, it goes something more like this :
Me : "God exists"
You : "How do you know"
Me : "Because God's Word proves itself. Try reading the Bible sometime."
You : "Oh."

But all of this seems rather moot, because it's unlikely you'll ever take anything from God's Word on faith long enough to see the truth in it.

Tobias Dammers said:

He can't. We're not married.

And you may never be with the way you act towards Him. See Matthew chapter 22 if you want to know about God's wedding plans. And don't get all weird, it's a spiritual marriage, not a sexual one.

Tobias Dammers said:

My challenge is still open. In fact, let's make it a bet: If you can mock my Atheism (or should I say, my non-theistic spirituality) in a way that really offends me, I'll attend a Christian service next sunday.

I don't need to mock you, nor do I want to. Believe whatever you want, it's your life to spend as you see fit to do so.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Ouch; this thread tanked. >_< One thing in closing ...

Based on elementary logic, it can be concluded that a God, as depicted in the Bible, cannot exist. An omniscient, omnipotent, eternal being that is also man-like and requires prayer and worship is logically impossible.

Agreed completely. Of the six qualities you list, only 2, maybe 3 are true from a Christian viewpoint. So ... good job! :D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Wow. My stereotypes of the religious have been reinforced quite strongly by this thread. These threads are always a nice ego boost.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

SiegeLord said:

Wow. My stereotypes of the religious have been reinforced quite strongly by this thread. These threads are always a nice ego boost.

Your eyes see what you want them to see.

{"name":"1297784886","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f622077061fd76de3c7c930115f501fc.jpg","w":500,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f622077061fd76de3c7c930115f501fc"}1297784886

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Wow Edgar... just wow.

God's word is proof of itself.

That's just silly. Even ignoring the fact that it's a circular argument, why would any non-believer take God's word as proof when they don't believe in God? From the perspective of non-believers, the Bible was written by humans. Until they are convinced that God exists and that God is trustworthy, they have no reason to seriously consider God's word.

Quote:

Why speakest Thou unto them in parables?

Quote:

and he that gathereth not with Me scattereth abroad.

etc...

Use a more modern translation. All the "speakest" and "gathereth" sounds so archaic, it's annoying (to me, at least). The ESV and the TNIV seem pretty good, at least for casual study.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Christian Garbage -> Topic derailed !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Your eyes see what you want them to see.

I'm a big believer of Bayesian inference, and rational belief. What I see in this thread has nothing to do with rational belief. As for the big bang: absolutely nothing to date has required the existence of God to explain it. By Bayesian inference I conclude that the probability of God existing is negligible. By the same argument, big bang probably won't need God to be explained either.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ok, that's your religion and you're entitled to it.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It's not a religion, it's math. If you don't believe in math, then there's no help for you.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Quote:

I'm a big believer of rational belief

So you put your faith in man instead of a deity.

The most common and practical definition of religion is "a set of beliefs someone follows". I consider everyone (except maybe permanent vegetables with irreversible brain damage) to have a religion. Some atheists are the most religious people I know, in that they adamant about their beliefs, taking all measures to spread them and try to convert people.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

#SelectExpand
1while(alive) { 2 if(existenceHasPurpose) { 3 if(purposeBeyondUnderstanding && notWorthKnowing) 4 chosenReligion = null; 5 else { 6 // Establish knowledge and connection with greater unknown 7 chosenReligion = studyReligion(); 8 meditate(chosenReligion); 9 10 // Make progress with known 11 studyScience(chosenReligion); 12 experiment(chosenReligion); 13 14 } 15 } 16 else { 17 chosenReligion = null; 18 if(feeling == HAPPY) { 19 studyScience(null); 20 experiment(null); 21 } 22 if(feeling == DEPRESSED) 23 seekCouncil(); 24 } 25 26 doAsYouWill(chosenReligion); 27}

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

What is it with some Christians that they are so fervent and unforgiving about their religion?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Alteration of scientific theories due to new evidence abound, such that some scientist says "Gee! I was wrong!" then never puts forth his outmoded view ever again. Of course, being human, they don't always do this.

OTOH, I've never heard of a religious or astrological viewpoint altered due to new facts, or even how these viewpoints were arrived at, they're just "given" as The Word or something.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

OTOH, I've never heard of a religious or astrological viewpoint altered due to new facts, or even how these viewpoints were arrived at, they're just "given" as The Word or something.

You really don't know or discuss this with many people do you? I can only speak for the handful of Christians I've met, but most of them are Christian/Agnostic. Nobody claims to know everything. They just believe in something.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The most common and practical definition of religion is "a set of beliefs someone follows".

I don't agree with that definition. While everyone has beliefs (how can they not?), not all beliefs are created equal. Some beliefs are rational (subject to Bayesian inference, or its approximation) and some are not (all religious beliefs in my experience fall under this heading).

What makes a belief rational? The fact that you update your beliefs given new evidence in accordance with the Bayes' rule (a practical example of this would be Occam's razor).

What makes a belief irrational? The fact that you don't do the above, and stick to your beliefs despite new evidence, and despite other hypotheses being far more likely.

You need a really outlandish perspective, in my opinion, to consider belief in God rational given all the evidence available to date.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I used to believe in Santa Claus, but every year when we went to see him the grownups would stand around saying "Who is it this year? It looks like Adolph Balek again." It took a few more years to give up Yahweh as well.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

SiegeLord said:

I don't agree with that definition.

When I took Intro to Religious Studies, we spent about half a class period discussing how to define religion. The working definition we came up with was similar to what Trent posted, except that we added something along the lines of, "which you are willing to sacrifice yourself or your children for."

It's still not a perfect definition. Going by that, nationalism would be considered a religion. But it's a hard thing to define precisely, because there's so much variety among religions.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I have a belief that next time I press the key 'i' on my keyboard it will result in the letter 'i' being presented on the screen. Is that a religion?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Your faith in the 'i' key is strong. But will you give your life for it? :P

Go to: