Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Egypt

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Egypt
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Despite much anticipation, Hosni Mubarak has disappointed protesters and news reporters alike who projected an announcement that he would step down today.

It seems to me, however, that he is finally beginning to crack at the pressure of the protesters, as today's speech appeared less composed and more divisive than the speeches leading up to this point, even though it addressed no actual differences in policy and announced no significant differences in government.

How do you think his downfall will play out? Will he play it out until the end of his term? Will there be a military coup? Will the region be thrown into a state of disarray? What do you think?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

He will be killed by someone close to him. The world will (pretend to) be stunned and a group of Egypt's finest and brightest will draft a new constitution that will include term limits and give the people of Egypt more freedom.

In other words, they will be a 'more perfect' country. ::)

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I'm afraid the country will fall prey to islamic theocracy. That end result unfortunately is worse than Mubarak.

You don't deserve my sig.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm sure he'd have fallen earlier (by outside forces) if Egypt had vast oil fields.

jhuuskon said:

I'm afraid the country will fall prey to islamic theocracy

That's democracy for you. Anyone can stand for election and the one with the most votes wins.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Islamic theocracy is ok, if that is what they truly want, provided that they don't attack any other countries after that.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

That's democracy for you. Anyone can stand for election and the one with the most votes wins.

Common misunderstanding. Free elections are just one of the principles of democracy, and it's not even the core idea. The core idea, as the German constitution puts it, is that "all power comes from the people". Which is pretty hard to get right, and I don't think any such society exists currently. The goal is to create a situation where all the various minorities can live alongside each other peacefully, with each citizen equally entitled to a significant say in public affairs. It's about balancing fundamental rights against one another (my freedom of speech against your right of not being verbally attacked; my right to material property against my unemployed neighbor's right to basic healthcare; my right to own and use a car against future generations' right to a healthy environment; and so on).

In fact, as soon as there's a real majority, democracy is dead, because once such a majority has established itself, the rest of the population are just spectators without any real power.

Here's a few things that are needed to create a functional democracy:

• Freedom of speech and information. Without sufficient information, there is no way a population can exercise their democratic rights in any meaningful way.

• Public discussion. Just putting everything to a vote doesn't work. The best way is to reach a consensus wherever possible, and compromise on the rest. This can't be done without discussion, and it can't be done by representatives alone.

• Protection of minorities. If a majority situation cannot be avoided, special care needs to taken to allow the remaining minorities to participate in political processes.

• Separation of religion and state. Religion is based on faith and personal beliefs, it has no place in public affairs. If you think something should be done in a certain way, use arguments based on facts, or state it as your personal opinion, but using religion (any religion) as an argument is always wrong, and organized religions tend to indoctrinate people and give them an excuse not to think for themselves. The reverse, however, is important: Respect each others' beliefs.

• A culture of open-mindedness and mutual respect. You can't have a democracy without democrats; people have to value democracy higher than their own individual opinions.

• Education. Without sufficient education, people just aren't able to make well-informed decisions, or support their opinions in public discussion.

In other words, free elections alone don't make a democracy.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

There have been several attempts to assassinate Mubarak over his 30 year reign. And that VP that he has "given" power to was somebody who prevented one of those assassinations in the past.

Has something happened recently or has the tension of the people against Mubarak been growing for a while? I know the revolution in Tunesia triggered events here, but I wasn't sure if there were recent actions of the government that offended the people.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Despite much anticipation, Hosni Mubarak has disappointed protesters and news reporters alike who projected an announcement that he would step down today.

He stepped down and left his duties to the military. Or at least that's what's all over TV now.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I don't think he stepped down. Even if he does he will run the puppet government.

The Who said:

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

As for a military coup, the media report they are supporting him, so that's not going to happen.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

He stepped down and left his duties to the military. Or at least that's what's all over TV now.

I've heard from the news that he's moved to Sinai peninsula and eventhough he's granted his powers to the vicepresident, he still has them too. What is more important he can revoke vicepresident's powers at will. Long story short, he still has a power.

EDIT: well, strike my last. Turns out you were right. All in all you're closer to Egypt than I am :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

jhuuskon said:

I'm afraid the country will fall prey to islamic theocracy.

Or the western exploitation ::)

Append:

Separation of religion and state. Religion is based on faith and personal beliefs, it has no place in public affairs. If you think something should be done in a certain way, use arguments based on facts, or state it as your personal opinion, but using religion (any religion) as an argument is always wrong, and organized religions tend to indoctrinate people and give them an excuse not to think for themselves. The reverse, however, is important: Respect each others' beliefs.

I wish it was understood in Israel.. :(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Whatever happens, I blame Obama. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Whatever happens, I blame Obama.

BAF you know if Matthew finds out you hacked his account you're in for some serious trouble :o

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

He hacking it long time ago, and accesses it just for promoting this statement here and there.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If he did hack it, I blame Obama. >:(

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

I believe egypt will fall in chaos when Mubarak has gone. And on top of this the war with israel will be inflamed again.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Striker said:

And on top of this the war with israel will be inflamed again.

The main problem with Israel is that they never stopped to invade the country around them. I don't know the problems with Egypt, but I can say with no regrets that if ever a neighbor country was to take a part of France I would send the rockets too.

It's a strange thing because when our German comrades wanted to annexe France it was a world war for saving France and Jews community.

Now Israel, the Jew country by excellence, is doing the same thing that they had to bear a few 40 years ago no one tells them it's bad.

Please note that I'm not antisemitic type of guy, nor the nazi one. I just can't understand.

And I can't understand it from the start. I would love to hear anyone from any country telling me that they would leave and give their own country to some guys just because they come with a religious book who tells it was their sacred town.

And I'm still asking myself if I should have posted all that.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

And I can't understand it from the start. I would love to hear anyone from any country telling me that they would leave and give their own country to some guys just because they come with a religious book who tells it was their sacred town.

Was it okay when the Jews had to leave Israel because they got conquered by Rome? And then was it okay when the Romans had to leave? And so on and so fourth until the palestinians are told to leave by their British conquerors.

If you answer that with yes then you should have no problem accepting that it is okay for them to leave because Israel is in control.
If you answer that with a no then you should understand that it is definitely much more complicated than how you put it.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

If religions did not exist, there wouldn't be so many huge problems like this. The west supports all those dictators in the middle east because the west fears the spread of Islamic theocracy and an attack to Israel. Everyone thinks their religion is the correct one and wants to shut the other guy down because of that. What a pity for the human race.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

axilmar said:

If religions did not exist, there wouldn't be so many huge problems like this.

If religions did not exist we would just be fighting over something else. (I'm atheist by the way)

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

If religions did not exist we would just be fighting over something else. (I'm atheist by the way)

No other thing causes such a hostility and division between people like religions do.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

If religions did not exist we would just be fighting over something else.

Then there wouldn't be Jews, nor Muslims.. And existence of first makes a lot of problems to themselves and often to those surround them. Same with the second, but they've their own lands. Although their expansion also makes problems, but oh well..

{"name":"603362","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/32bcf9eb61027319a558e6ad8b5cd222.jpg","w":604,"h":451,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/32bcf9eb61027319a558e6ad8b5cd222"}603362

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Religion has always existed and will keep on doing so.
Reasons

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

axilmar said:

No other thing causes such a hostility and division between people like religions do.

>cough< nationalism >cough<

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

J-Gamer said:

Religion has always existed and will keep on doing so.

Ought to agree with Freud & Marx: religion is a mass neurosis reflecting reality.

Go to: