Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

So, for all the Minecraft lovers out there, this is the current update.
{"name":"tumblr_lb4gltVyaH1qzb7ox.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81535c3b1b9652abf89a6a47a7158bf3.png","w":419,"h":700,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81535c3b1b9652abf89a6a47a7158bf3"}tumblr_lb4gltVyaH1qzb7ox.png

Also, biomes!

video

Read some more about the new Hell dimension here, and here. I think I'm going to create a new world as soon as possible! :)

Any discussions? Opinions about the new dimension?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I want to try to set up a permanent home in the new dimension. Does light still keep monsters from spawning there?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Dario ff said:

Opinions about the new dimension?

I thought it was just going to be a glorified fast travel system, but now it sounds like a progression of the MineCraft "tech tree". Obsidian is one of the hardest materials to obtain, right? Well now you can use some to travel to an extension of the world that has even more valuable minerals! Only thing I would have preferred is more of an alien, ethereal dimension, but then I guess it wouldn't be a Halloween update ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Also, apparently one of the block types in the new dimension will never go out if set on fire. I see a quick replacement for limited torches right there (just don't use it in a wooden building!)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Another update to the first picture. I should be ashamed of stalking Notch's twitter so much today, shouldn't I? :P Oh well, that's what I get for having a cold in a weekend...

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I ran my copy of Minecraft today. Ran it in fullscreen. It lagged. Games like Operation Flashpoint 2 and Modern Warfare 2 don't lag on my computer. But Minecraft seems to do it quite frequently.

Now that sucks... :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I see a quick replacement for limited torches right there (just don't use it in a wooden building!)

Or you could build your entire building in that material!
Would need fireproof doors though.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

And a fireproof body! Good glavin, you'd be walking into a furnace every time you went home!

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Updates seem nice, be careful that there is a bug that when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Updates seem nice, be careful that there is a bug that when you die, you lose whatever is on your inventory (items disappear instead of being dropped to the ground).

I learned that the hard way when I got ambushed coming out of my cave. Goodbye diamond sword. :'(

I think the enemy spawning underground has changed too. I have an area I'm clearing out at the bottom level, relatively small at the moment, extremely well lit, never had mobs spawn, and tonight I was practically getting swarmed.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I think the enemy spawning underground has changed too.

That's what the "Experience scarier depths" point in the update image means. The deeper you go, the more light-resistant mobs are, meaning they will still spawn even if the area is lit.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Do you people still have an Allegro Minecraft server? I recently bought the game and I'd like to play some multiplayer. :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Heh, you can fish live mobs as well. ;D Shame fish aren't live mobs though, they just appear randomly when you reel in the rod. :( My underwater glass tunnel would've been AWESOME with little sea creatures going around...

Also, biomes are very cool, found some snowy mountains after walking for a while. Hope to find a desert soon!

I thought it was just going to be a glorified fast travel system, but now it sounds like a progression of the MineCraft "tech tree". Obsidian is one of the hardest materials to obtain, right? Well now you can use some to travel to an extension of the world that has even more valuable minerals!

Keep in mind that you can spawn obsidian by just combining some buckets of water & lava, no need for some diamond picks really, so it ain't that hard to get.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

My brother has a hosted server. However, ever since the update it was getting lag of 10 seconds, and then up to 60 seconds and just kept rising. Oddly, we also spawned in hell, and Warp Gates aren't working right (since there's no high side warp gate).

This update was rather botched in playability. At least for us.

It's back to Halo and Starcraft.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Random thought, do you have to build the gate standing up?
Can it be created sideways or lying down?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Wow. Minecraft just got like 10 times harder with this update. I had a very elaborate branch mining operation just above bedrock, I kept it relatively well lit, the occasional mob would spawn, but that was pretty rare. Now, the mine is completely swarmed and the only way I can see of controlling it is to start placing doors at the branch entrances...

I also exhausted my bread supply (about 10 bread) from my underground farm and have already gone through two sets of metal armor. At this rate all the goodies I've mined out will be gone in like a week. ;(

Trezker said:

Random thought, do you have to build the gate standing up?
Can it be created sideways or lying down?

One of the comments on Notch's blog stated that it had to be standing up... Although I don't have enough obsidian to try yet.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Dario ff said:

Keep in mind that you can spawn obsidian by just combining some buckets of water & lava, no need for some diamond picks really, so it ain't that hard to get.

I knew how to spawn it, but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I knew how to spawn it, but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

I guess it should be possible to build a mold and combine lava and water in that.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

but don't you still need a diamond pick to mine it?

Why mine it? /Ninjaed

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Sorry; I thought it spawned as a block and then you mined it. As you can tell I haven't bothered trying it. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I've heard you can return the Ghast's projectiles by well timed punch/sword slash/etc., or even with an arrow. Reminds me a bit of some Zelda OOT battles. ;D

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Sorry; I thought it spawned as a block and then you mined it. As you can tell I haven't bothered trying it.

When lava meets water, it turns into an obsidian block. So there are two ways to make a Slip Gate. 1) Build a "mold" for the gate, and use lava+water to fill it up with obsidian. 2) Make obsidian, mine it with a diamond pic-axe. Only diamond will work, anything less and you don't get the obsidian after mining it. Once you've mined it, you can put down obsidian blocks like normal and make a gate.

Minecraft just got like 10 times harder with this update.

Yeah :'( I've been cowering in Peaceful for the time being. I hope Notch balances it out by making diamond even more durable, or more plentiful.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeah sry, forgot about the mold trick. It's been a slow day. :)

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map. :P

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I guess it should be possible to build a mold and combine lava and water in that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGzyn1hBrZQ

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It's all moot; I got no lava on my map.

I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring for surface lava springs, so far I've got two obsidian blocks.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Go to: