Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Another Minecraft clone is around. Though it's just like creative for the moment.
{"name":"3702.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/4\/2409de3bd14f071da22ccb3971ac199b.jpg","w":740,"h":555,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/4\/2409de3bd14f071da22ccb3971ac199b"}3702.jpg

Looks pretty. And that's about it I guess.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's pretty neat to see so many clones. It'll be interesting to see if any of them actually become fun. :D

UberBlox could really use a Web site though. Even just a boring, plain text one, so there's some kind of home base for users searching the Web.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

It's pretty neat to see so many clones. It'll be interesting to see if any of them actually become fun.

I was trying to figure out what to do with my game and I think I figured it out!

Houseboats... In... Space! space... space...

Low Earth orbit spaceships you build and fly around and fight each other. You have minecraft-esk guys that run around either manning guns or repairing equipment and hull damage.

It's like Stratosphere but in low Earth orbit and 3-D cube-based ships.

{"name":"90588_large.jpeg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1d9c174ba2e3a8c1eb4d811cc0a033fa.jpg","w":612,"h":459,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1d9c174ba2e3a8c1eb4d811cc0a033fa"}90588_large.jpeg

I think I'll call it L.E.O. (Low Earth Orbit).

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to make a game like that, where you can build your own custom ship and fly it around and shoot other ships where the damage is exact (instead of just some changing 3-D model).

Chris Katko: That image doesn't look very realistic to me, unless you'll stipulate you can build a brick house in low earth orbit.

Thanks for the inspiration!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Low Earth orbit spaceships you build and fly around and fight each other. You have minecraft-esk guys that run around either manning guns or repairing equipment and hull damage.

So, it's kinda like Trailer Park Wars, but in space!?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko just reminded me of my first-person astronaut simulation game that I thought of in college for a game design competition. It was (and is) well over my head, but the idea still seems fun to me. One of the main problems for the concept (and for the judges) was the control scheme. How do you control yourself floating around inside a space shuttle in low gravity? Motion controllers, such as Move, or Kinect, might just offer the solution.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

Motion controllers, such as Move, or Kinect, might just offer the solution.

Or the WiiMote!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

UberBlox has been released both Client and Server download links are :
http://www.filedropper.com/uberbloxrelease1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S93SG28V

If you need help let me know...

This is only a very early beta release.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Crashes upon startup.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Make sure you installed the XNA (from support folder)

The readme does explain microsoft XNA is required ;D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

And this is why you need a website!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Website is posted in read me

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Anyone who bothered to download from the god awful download site, care to post the link here?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I can't. Megaupload says that "Ce fichier n'est présentement pas disponible." which BTW means that the file isn't reachable anymore.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Well I guess those sorts of things are expected, when you get exactly what you pay for.

Guess I just need to wait for UberFoX to turn back up.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Alternative link

http://uberfox.no-ip.org/UberBloxRelease1.zip

If your having problems elsewhere

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Hey, I had to install the XNA redist framework in the /support folder. It works fine.

It's pretty impressive. I was getting a good 60 FPS (give or take, I didn't have a FPS meter) and we've got a 512x512x512 map. If you notice even the small single blocks are being drawn in the far distance. They couldn't be bigger than a couple pixels.

{"name":"602489","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/ba89ad666eec49aa6f955a74790cbe72.jpg","w":1040,"h":806,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/ba89ad666eec49aa6f955a74790cbe72"}602489

All of those and I'm still getting high FPS. I am impressed.

I just wish I could figure out how to get my game to be that fast. :'( I've got two viewports and a 100 x 20 x 100 map starts chugging if I don't start taking stuff away.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

Katko it sounds like your doing something seriously wrong like drawing single triangles at a time.

You need to collect everything of the same texture and morph it into single vertexes and draw the whole lot in 1 go (provided its visible on screen).

BTW another mirror!
http://rapidshare.com/files/427076927/UberBloxRelease1.zip

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

UberFoX said:

BTW another mirror!

Gah. Just put it on dropbox or something :D

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

UberFoX said:

Katko it sounds like your doing something seriously wrong like drawing single triangles at a time.

Unfortunately, at the moment, yes. I draw every cube (by calling a display list) in the map individually. I didn't realize vertex arrays can be modified, so I'm going to look into them. I imagine caching the arrays can't possibly be worse than drawing them as discrete blocks every frame. I'm still doing 7000-14000 display list calls every frame in two player.

I did optimize one part by approximating the 3-D cube map with larger cubes to take up the space. 2x2 and 4x4 cut the drawing calls in half (that was with a very close drawing distance, however).

-----sig:

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

1   2   3   4 

Go to: