Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I too am intrigued by this project. Would I be able to get a login as well please?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Trezker said:

Ooh, a bunch of new projects. Some requiring stone, I hope I can find some stone...

Here's a hint: Different terrain types yield different resources.

Quote:

Feature request, an indicator on the news link to show if unread news are available.

That's going to be kind of hard; the news page is a plain old wiki page, and the wiki is, well, let's call it spartan. I can create and edit articles, and there's a simple cross-link feature, and that's about it. For now, this thread is pretty much the announcements thread (but this time, I didn't announce anything here, for which I apologize).

I too am intrigued by this project. Would I be able to get a login as well please?

I guess so.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Meh. I PM'd him one already. But still: :D

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Bug, I'm not working on anything and it wont let me travel. :(
I have finished all my stone gathering projects.

exception 'Exception' with message 'You cannot start travelling while you are working on something.' in /home/tdammers/domains/tobiasdammers.nl/public_html/rpg/play/Roads.php:101 Stack trace: #0

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Should be fixed now. I was relying on a foreign key with ON DELETE SET NULL, which was supposed to remove your participation when the project gets deleted, but the foreign key wasn't there on the database (only in code). Additionally, when a project finishes, it explicitly removes itself from all participants.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yes, I can move.
Soon I shall be making food!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I have yet to see the first character to make food. But that probably has to do with the fact that both wheat fields and potatoe patches require a plough to make, which in turn requires 12 kg of wood. That's quite some wood to collect, but I still think this is reasonable - at 400g per hour (in a forest location), 12 kg means 3.75 days.

Also, my thought is that I want ploughs to be transportable, yet heavy enough to avoid dragging them around, sort of between a stationary machine and a tool.

---
---

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

A way to look off into the distance would be helpful, I don't need (or even want) a detailed map, just to know if there is a mountain or water in any particular direction.

Fishing at coastal regions would be nice, (as that seems to be all I can find at the moment.) It is not really required at the moment, as it is just a project that only happens at the beach, and you need a fishing rod, which is just a product of some other project. Where creation of new features is probably a higher priority at the moment. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Timorg said:

A way to look off into the distance would be helpful, I don't need (or even want) a detailed map, just to know if there is a mountain or water in any particular direction.

^this

I recently set off for what looked like a mountainous region (that side of the local map was almost entirely gray), turned out to be a forest. No mountains in sight.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I definitely want fishing in the game, probably several kinds - say, angling (using a fishing rod, for which you'd need wood and string, and the string would in turn require either wool or some plant material), spear-fishing (using a spear made of wood, optionally one with a metal tip), and catching fish with your bare hands (with an extreme skill weighting, and a relatively low chance of success, but still possible).

But you're right, new features are first priority. I just implemented repeatable projects; the next steps are probably:

• food, eating, hunger and starvation (and related to that, death)

• configurable random deviation in project output

• projects that block a certain machine

• optional tools, producing a performance increase in a project (not sure yet how I'll fit this in the data model)

• better control over the way materials are stored in projects

• travel speeds depending on weight carried

• a skill system

• violence, wounds, overall health, weapon usage

About the map: I might add something like "this road looks like it leads into an area of XXX" in the roads list; other than that, the map you're seeing is supposed to give you some clues about the surrounding locations. I experimented with a ray-traced 3D panorama view, but the results took way too much time to calculate while producing horribly ugly images, so I ditched the idea for now.

---
---

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I have potatoes and milk, which I apparently simply picked up. From the ground I guess. :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

About the map: I might add something like "this road looks like it leads into an area of XXX" in the roads list

I'd still like the ability to map locations you've been too. I'm afraid to travel because I might not find my way back.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

One of my characters been moving along the cost line. Actually found a dead end. I called that location "Left 4 Dead End" for some reason.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Heh, I just looked at the FAQ on the website, and I realized that all the question on it are from me. 8-)

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

As it is now, wouldn't it still be hard for a new character to get food before he starves. If he needs to make a plough and stuff to get any?

I think you should be able to find fruit and berries in the forest at least.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

That's what I was thinking. I dun wanna starve!

EDIT:

Feature request: a way to send messages to people that aren't in your current area.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

You do that by sending a character with your message.

This would probably make a decent business model in the game.
I never really saw any couriers in Cantr, I wonder why. People always went in person when they needed to get something somewhere.

There was radio transmitters and receivers, but even them didn't seem to be much used. I wasn't really playing in the busiest parts of the world, maybe that had something to do with it.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I have potatoes and milk, which I apparently simply picked up. From the ground I guess.

Yes. I made a couple resources out of thin air and spread them over all locations. Since rot isn't implemented yet, these things currenly just lie around.

I'd still like the ability to map locations you've been too. I'm afraid to travel because I might not find my way back.

There will be notes, which will allow you to at least write down where you've been and how to get there. You will need paper to write on though.

One of my characters been moving along the cost line. Actually found a dead end. I called that location "Left 4 Dead End" for some reason.

Yes, there are dead ends. Somewhere down the pipeline, I plan to add sea travel, making such a coastal dead more attractive.

Trezker said:

As it is now, wouldn't it still be hard for a new character to get food before he starves. If he needs to make a plough and stuff to get any?

I think you should be able to find fruit and berries in the forest at least.

Yup, I'll make a few less resource-intensive ways of finding food - picking berries, fishing, hunting - basically, the hunter-gatherer thing. In real life, agriculture (even of the primitive kind) requires effort, and is only really viable if you settle, and I want to mimic these effects.

That's what I was thinking. I dun wanna starve!

You won't starve, at least not now. Hunger and starvation aren't implemented yet. And when I do implement them, I'll first make sure finding food is not brutally hard.

Quote:

Feature request: a way to send messages to people that aren't in your current area.

I won't do this. At least not an easy way. Once there are notes, you are free to set up a postal service, leave notes for other characters, or transmit messages orally, but as I stated before, the tech level I'm aiming at is 19th century. So maybe, just maybe, there could be telephones, but if I make them, they will be horribly expensive, and far below modern telephony standard.
Restricting communication this way has interesting consequences for the game dynamics.

I might implement OOC messaging, but just like cantrII, I want to maintain a "capital rule" which says you're not allowed to exchange in-game information using OOC communication.

Trezker said:

There was radio transmitters and receivers, but even them didn't seem to be much used. I wasn't really playing in the busiest parts of the world, maybe that had something to do with it.

They were used in the busier parts of the world. I had characters in Akypor and Klojt, and also in the Pok Desert area, and the local authorities had radio equipment which was mainly used for law enforcement and trade. Radios in cantrII were quite expensive to make, requiring rare metals and a few steps to build; you'd need a quite organized bunch of people, and probably a few trading connections, to make one.

---
---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I just met myself, and didn't realize it until messages started popping up on one of my other characters. ;D

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Very nice. Means the separation of characters and players works well.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I ran into another problem. My second character, the explorer, can't go on the roads. He has only been travelling... The error message only says "(SQL)"

This unfortunate error made me have a look at what was on the ground and I found Cellulose pulp... I wonder what that's for and why it was found on the beach?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Trezker said:

My second character, the explorer, can't go on the roads. He has only been travelling... The error message only says "(SQL)"

Yea, my explorer is having this issue as well.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Looks like something went wrong. I'll look into it.

-- Update 1 --
The cellulose pulp is due to me not using my own tools properly. I wanted to add cellulose pulp as a new item type, but apparently, I overwrote potatoes. So all items that were potatoes are now cellulose pulp. Fixed.

-- Update 2 --
Guess I was too quick deploying the load-carried-influences-travel-speed update. It's fixed now though.

---
---

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Guess I was too quick deploying the load-carried-influences-travel-speed update. It's fixed now though.

I had notice that the 2nd last journey took way too long.

But in good news, I have found my new home of "Rock Pass", It has taken me days of searching, but I have found somewhere to set up a settlement. Will there a way to put up a sign, or do I just have to tell everyone that arrives, where they are.

Edit: Thanks for the favicon as well. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Go to: