Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I just got baptized - Yea!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I just got baptized - Yea!
relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Partially in response to a recent thread along the lines of "bwah ha ha" I wasn't going to announce this but I don't recall ever seeing a "baptized" thread.

I just went through my not really denominational but mostly evangelical Christian baptism yesterday.

No I don't feel different or "cleansed of all my sins" because that wasn't really the point of it.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

relay01 said:

No I don't feel different or "cleansed of all my sins" because that wasn't really the point of it.

What was the point?

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Getting married?

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Baptism is a ceremonial proclamation to my family and friends that I have accepted Christ and have chosen to follow Him in my life.

Oh and I am already married... guess I didn't announce that on here.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Why did you do it? did you want to be accepted by your family and friends? would they not accept you if you didn't do that?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It's a social thing, like belly boxing or fist bumping, if you don't do it, you won't be "rejected", merely thought to be a little off the norm. After the baptism I bet he high-fived a bunch of people.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

And he declared his baptizm here to be rejected by the slew of atheists.

Oh and congrats. ;)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Like relay said, baptism is a public declaration of his choice to follow Christ. No one is going to reject him or toss him out if he doesn't get baptized. I didn't get baptized for more than two years after I started going to church, no one ever made a fuss about it.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

relay01 said:

Baptism is a ceremonial proclamation to my family and friends that I have accepted Christ and have chosen to follow Him in my life.

Oh and I am already married... guess I didn't announce that on here.

I believe that there is no god, and that we, humans, need to evolve by ourselves.
In H I trust. I'm a soul man (dadadaaaaaaaaa) !

Now that's done, well, I guess all I can say for your baptizm is Yay, cool for ya.
I hope you had a BunchTon(c) of presents ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Like relay said, baptism is a public declaration of his choice to follow Christ. No one is going to reject him or toss him out if he doesn't get baptized. I didn't get baptized for more than two years after I started going to church, no one ever made a fuss about it.

You won't be rejected or tossed out, though if you openly said that you thought it was stupid and refused to ever do it, some individuals and groups would reject you. You're just looked at as half-there instead of a serious Christian. In actuality, most people probably don't even know the "baptized" status of their peers.

If Christianity was a biker gang, the unbaptized would be a prospect instead of a fully-fledged member. :P Baptism is a bit of an initiation ritual. It's really just one more magical idea. :D Who wouldn't want to have all of their mistakes "washed away" with 5 seconds under water? It's an easy sell.

Really, proclaiming your acceptance of God shouldn't even be something to be proud of. It just demonstrates that it's more of a social club than an actual belief. "Everybody look at me, I'm one of you now!"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

bamccaig said:

Who wouldn't want to have all of their mistakes "washed away" with 5 seconds under water? It's an easy sell.

You fail to understand that most denominations place no spiritual significance (especially in terms of salvation) to the so called "believer's baptism." It's simply considered to be a public proclamation-celebration.

Your hatred of all things not Sony continues to humor me.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Congratulations!

P.S. I'm glad you didn't get the circumcision instead.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Billybob said:

P.S. I'm glad you didn't get the circumcision instead.

Do you have something against circumcised peoples ? >:(

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Congratulations! Now you're one of some of us. And now you're not anymore one of some others of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

relay01 said:

Out of curiosity, what then is the point of baptising babies? It obviously can't be to show that they've made any choices about Christ or not.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Do you have something against circumcised peoples ?

Yeah!

Our mutilated penises.

relay01 said:

Partially in response to a recent thread along the lines of "bwah ha ha" I wasn't going to announce this but I don't recall ever seeing a "baptized" thread.

Lots of people don't like religion or see only certain aspects of it. It's not a big deal.

Congratulations on doing it though! I went through one a few years ago.

LennyLen said:

Out of curiosity, what then is the point of baptising babies? It obviously can't be to show that they've made any choices about Christ or not.

This is one of the things denominations actually fight about. Some believe you have to be baptized to get to heaven, some believe you are immediately "baptized" by the holy spirit when you acknowledge Jesus as your savior. I'm of the latter category because the first seems more like crazy tradition (community approval) and not about God.

As for babies, it's either:
1. The only way the baby will get to heaven.
2. A dedication of the baby to God in front of everyone. You're asking that God will guide your child, and publically acknowledging that you will do everything God commands you to do, to help this child grow into a rightous adult.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

LennyLen said:

I don't see a point in it. A baptism is a way to tell everyone about your choice to follow Christ. Babies haven't made any choices yet (they're babies). So, really, all it does is make parents feel better because they believe it means something.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Babies haven't made any choices yet (they're babies). So, really, all it does is make parents feel better because they believe it means something.

And then they of course bring up the child in a Christian fashion. Therefore he hardly has an option to quit the church if the conditioning was extensive enough.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

OICW said:

And then they of course bring up the child in a Christian fashion. Therefore he hardly has an option to quit the church if the conditioning was extensive enough.

That's true, and often depressing. Don't blame Christianity, though, you can find that sort of conditioning under any belief system.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

LennyLen said:

Out of curiosity, what then is the point of baptising babies?

It's nothing you'll find in the Bible. (Jesus himself was baptized, but no babies ever were.) Supposedly, the Greek word used (baptizo, or something like that) meant a literal immersion, so again, there's not really any direct scriptural support for sprinkling babies with water.

As for the purpose, I think most people see it as a symbolic dedication, although there's definitely mainstream denominations that consider it as part of the process of becoming a Christian.

Some denominations' only form of baptism is sprinkling babies with water, others only do "believer's baptism," while some do both.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

LennyLen said:

Out of curiosity, what then is the point of baptising babies?

If a baby isn't baptized and dies before accepting Christ, he/she will burn in hell for eternity with all of the other sinners.

Edit: At least that's what I was taught in Catechism.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I was raised as a Lutheran, and IIRC, the baptism was like a temporary "get in Heaven if you die" license. Then you went to "confirmation class" one night a week to get further indoctrinated, and when you completed this, you were allegedly well informed enough to make a choice, even though Darwin wasn't given equal time. You also could go suck down the blood and choke on the body of Christ during Sunday service after this confirmation.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

In terms of significance given toward infant baptism, it goes something like: Catholic > Lutheran > Methodist > Presbyterian.

I'm pretty sure the official stance of the Lutheran church is that infant baptism "creates" faith, and as such, you are doomed to heaven, regardless of what you do with the rest of your life. Of course, though, they are going to want to keep you in the church your entire life.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

infant baptism "creates" faith, and as such, you are doomed to heaven, regardless of what you do with the rest of your life.

No, I clearly remember us kids asking about this, and the way it was told to us is that you couldn't get to Heaven even if you asked for forgiveness before you died, so we asked about the unlucky people who didn't get Baptized and were told that they didn't get to Heaven, tough on them. You still had to ask for forgiveness even if you were baptized, though, and I worried about sinning once or twice between praying for forgiveness and suddenly being flattened by a truck.

Go to: