Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I just got baptized - Yea!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I just got baptized - Yea!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Evert said:

Also consider this: if the laws of nature tell us that our universe is embedded in a higher dimensional space (as string theory would tell us), by what logic would you call those higher dimensions /super/natural?

If we can't study the laws that govern those higher dimensions, and only know about them indirectly, then I would say that they are supernatural.

Quote:

(By the way, if you haven't read Flatland, do, it's an interesting read).

I may do that, it sounds interesting from what you've said. Apparently WKU's library has a copy.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Evert said:

by what logic would you call those higher dimensions /super/natural?

By pun logic?

and only know about them indirectly, then I would say that they are supernatural.

..but we know about them, they have an affect our nature. That to me would make them natural.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

http://www.mat.ufmg.br/gaal/bibliografia/flatland.pdf

I'd also say we can't study electrons directly either, unless you want to get shocked.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Arthur: is that the full book?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm pretty sure it is, the hardcover version was rather small, and I looked at the ending, although it's almost 40 years since I looked at it last (required reading for geometry class in high school)

[EDIT]

Reading it now makes me want to stab my eyes out with a Soldier!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Awesome! Thanks for that, saves me running up to the library tomorrow. I went up today, but kept searching for "flatlander" instead of "flatland", and apparently the library's search engine can't make that connection.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm assuming you've already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I hadn't seen that video before, Mark. It was interesting indeed.

Clicking on the related videos led me to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWM2oZgi4E&feature=related

I'm not sure how accurate or good of an explanation it is, though.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

This is another one I love. It blew my mind when I was in 7th(?) grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

--

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I love that one! That guy has a great voice, and I also grew up near the city it was set in. ;D

And, yes, it would be slightly mind-blowing if I hadn't previously tried to wrap my head around powers of ten.

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Any laws that govern the supernatural don't directly effect our universe, but instead they govern supernatural things which then effect our universe. Imagine some two-dimensional people living on a sheet of paper. A pencil writing on that paper would be supernatural to them. They could see the line forming, study that line and reason about that line, but they could never actually see the pencil because it exists outside of their universe.

Ahem. ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Ah, I missed that post, sorry!

I also think you explained the idea better than I did. But I'm feeling down on myself at the moment (unrelated, temporary circumstances), so I'm inclined to look poorly on my own work. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

But I'm feeling down on myself at the moment (unrelated, temporary circumstances), so I'm inclined to look poorly on my own work.

:(
Hope you're feeling better soon. No reason to think poorly of yourself that I can see.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Like I said, it's just something temporary.

Go to: