Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [TINS 2010] Elemental Sun

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[TINS 2010] Elemental Sun
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Woot, first TINS game thread!

Introducing Elemental Sun:

{"name":"elemsun.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/664aae595905bfc74890d80fcc341125.png","w":648,"h":506,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/664aae595905bfc74890d80fcc341125"}elemsun.png

Can you power the Sun with functions?

Source download
Source and Windows executable download

Progress log

;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Looks great! I'll try it when I get home, but just looking at the screenshot I can see it's really good. :)

--
sig used to be here

Kthanid
Member #12,218
August 2010

Wow, interesting concept and very well done. It's probably because I haven't really slept, but trying to think about the functions is making my brain hurt. Great job!

For whatever it's worth, when I tried the Windows binary distribution it died with a note about missing alleg42.dll, in case you want to include that with your distribution as well.

Good work... and thanks!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thanks both for the kind words :)

I see what went wrong with the DLLs: you have to write -lalleg44 instead of just -lalleg these days, and I didn't know and ended up compiling against an old build of Allegro 4.2 instead. I've updated readme.txt and compile.bat in both zips, and the .exe in the Windows zip. Hopefully it'll now work for anyone else who doesn't already have the DLLs!

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

You know I'm a fan of your games. Can't wait to try this one.

Downloading.

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Looks interesting, I am, like, SO going to try that one out!

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

This is a great entry Bruce. All the rules are nicely implemented. I especially like the awesome way you incorporated your source code in the game!

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Its a nice game, I coulnd't beat the last level.

I wasn't able to predict how putting functions on the stars would affect the result so I was reduced to trying every permutation until I won.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

I agree, this is a brilliant game! Graphics are nice, audio (is that your voice in the music? ^^) is good, all rules are fulfilled and there is this incredible attention to detail that makes a game look polished: The "popping up" of the code snippets, the way two functions exchange places when you drag one over the other ...
I'd say you've earned your sleep! ;D

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I played it. Simple, effective !

A nice TINS entry, it has my two cents !

Can't go on level 12, I'm stuck after 10 minutes playing. I'll beat it tomorrow ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Awesome game!!! It took me a couple of levels to figure it out, but then it gets kind of addictive. Level 12 was really difficult but fun to watch. With a pack of 50 or 100 carefully designed levels and some more polish, this could be much more than just a speedhack game. :)

--
sig used to be here

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

This is a really great idea, implemented very well! :D I love the original take on the player-as-deity rule. The crayon visuals are great, and the general polish is really nice for a 72-hour hack.

I agree that this could easily become much more than a simple TINS entry - but in addition to adding some length I'd remake the interface to match more with the crayon art of the rest of the game. :) Also I'm not sure I'd leave the functions to be interpreted by the player if it were meant for a general audience. :-X Add in some levels, a final spit-shine and some hand-holding and you've got gold!

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

Very beautiful art.

In level 10, it is needed 480 heat. But there is another solution which gives 556 heat.

Could not beat level 12 yet.
[Edit: Game completed :), 2 solutions possible that leads to 10490 heat in the last level]

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I needed about 20 tries on level 12. If I fix what I put on the 7th spot and exclude one possibility from the first spot, I count only 60 possible combinations - so it should be easy to win just by trying them all. With 2 possible solutions I guess you should need only 15 tries on average (after figuring out those two exclusions above).

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Well, I think that's the biggest problem of the game. It quickly gets unpredictable and chaotic and then you just have to try every possible combination.

--
sig used to be here

Go to: