Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » YAiG - Yet Another iPhone Game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
YAiG - Yet Another iPhone Game
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Your Windows version spawned x number of Windows (MANY) and then crashed. >:( I just hope it didn't do any harm. :-/ Better not have been malicious. :'(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't see how that's possible. It calls al_create_display once.

EDIT:

Did you run it in your VM by any chance? Or with Wine or something like that? Don't worry, it's not malicious.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes, it was in my VM. It worked better when I specified OpenGL in allegro5.cfg, but eventually that caused the entire VM to spontaneously reboot. :( It's probably my VM's fault though, not yours. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Allegro 4.9 does crazy things in VMs, just as you describe.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It probably has to do with mind control and virtualization conflicting, resulting in a temporal paradox. :(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Allegro 4.9 does crazy things in VMs, just as you describe.

I'd think that indicates A5 is possibly a bit too low level at the hardware level or something. I just saw this in examples/ex_vsync.c starting at line 168

/* Let's not go overboard and limit flipping at 1000 Hz. Without
       * this my system locks up and requires a hard reboot :P
       */

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If the device is jailbroken, they are unlikely to be actual customers.

That's a hugely asinine stereotype/generalization to make.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

The jailbroken percentage is pretty small. All the reports on it are skewed in favor of higher jailbroken numbers because app crackers download apps they wouldn't even consider buying (wouldn't you, if everything was suddenly free?).

Even with this large skew, it usually seems to be around 5%. Though it does vary from app to app, I think I saw one guy who had over a 100% jailbreak ratio. But this was a low sales volume app, so it doesn't really count.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'd think that indicates A5 is possibly a bit too low level at the hardware level or something. I just saw this in examples/ex_vsync.c starting at line 168

I'd say it's an indication of a bug. The Linux window creation code has no side effects like this when run in a VM - so instead our D3D window creation code simply is doing something wrong.

That comment in ex_vsync likely isn't serious (there's a smiley following it) and is just to prevent something like this:

while(1) {}

Which isn't low level but "locks up"/uses all remaining CPU on whatever system you run it on.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

How did you come up with 35 as a perfect game?

I had been gunning for FEZ + ZAX | ZIF (35), but replacing FEZ with the newly discovered VIZ gives an unlikely 37.

I was hoping for a good VIZ/VIZ combo, but the best I can find is 35 with LEV.

You need to add a word that starts with X so I can stop getting angry when it starts out with an X. >:(

XXX would be good. Then I'd try to get:

X X
X X
XXX

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

VIZ is in there? Well I ran a program over the list years ago to find the best combos. VIZ may have been added later.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This is the perfect game to play while taking care of business. I've been doing a lot of that lately, thanks to Taco Bell.

The game mocks me. Twice I had a 35-point game going, needing one letter with four skips. Give me that A! >:(

Once it opened up with L-E-V-I. I got the next V after a skip or two, never to to finish with needed I-Z. I started to cry. :'(

Kthanid
Member #12,218
August 2010

My wife and I both downloaded this on our iPhones last night. For whatever reason, the game is fairly addictive and I could see this being a fun option when I've got a minute or two to kill. My wife loves these kinds of little word games and we put off starting the movie we were going to watch for 30 minutes or so while we each kept saying: "Okay, just one more game, almost had an awesome score that time."

Comments/feedback from the two of us below (if you're interested - if not you can just stop reading now, I guess).

• It's often frustrating to receive the same exact letter three or more times in a row, particularly if it's an X or something less useful). It almost feels like if the letter doesn't change it shouldn't count as a skip (or it should always have to be a different letter, just for variety).

• It would be nice if we weren't bounced all the way back to the main menu after every game.

• On the name submission page, is there a reason for the 5 character limit (or requirement)? Along similar lines, it looks like you can edit (backspace) your name as long as you haven't typed the 5th character, but once you hit the last character it submits immediately (making it impossible to correct if you select the wrong last letter by accident).

Overall the game is enjoyable, though, and I expect it will get plenty of play in short segments, particularly during the already mentioned "business" trips above.

Thanks, and nice work!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Thanks. Happy-WordZ is kind of a pet project. Not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on, due to other projects, but something I might update from time to time if I get unoccupied. There's a small update coming soon. It's nothing big, actually the opposite, it uses about 50% as much space on your ipod... that and there's a link to a stats page that gives some stats about todays games and averages for all games, and weekday averages. Also there's a section for past 1st place daily winners (all of this starting Sept. 1 so there's already some data there).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I completely agree regarding the skip a letter annoyance. If I were to tweak anything regarding gameplay, it would be to never give the same letter after a skip. The random letters already make it difficult enough as is, without having to power your way through five consecutive Qs.

PS: I apologize in advance for lowering the average game score with my all-or-nothing strategy. ;D

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I shall keep that in mind if I do another update.

1   2   3 

Go to: