Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » YAiG - Yet Another iPhone Game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
YAiG - Yet Another iPhone Game
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Your logic is so ridiculous it's not even worth debating. Yes, millions of people jailbreak their phone because they don't want to pirate stuff but do anyway.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yes, millions of people jailbreak their phone because they don't want to pirate stuff but do anyway.

Where did you even get that I even remotely implied such a stupid idea?

No, they jailbreaked their phone so they don't have to pay for stuff. Period. Which is why its more likely they'd have never paid for that stuff. If they think its worth it to deal with the headaches that come from jailbreaking a phone, than to pay a couple bucks for a few apps, then the sale was lost a long time ago.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Logic. Use it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Logic. Use it.

You boggle the mind. I was using logic. You seem to be the one having issues with logic.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Logic can't predict human motivations or results.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

So let me get this right. To you logic is: people who steal are going to steal anyway because they make preparations to steal. In no way did you consider what they would do if they didn't make preparations for stealing.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

In no way did you consider what they would do if they didn't make preparations for stealing.

But they did. So sale lost.

Now in the off chance that it was impossible for them to jailbreak (unlikely), I find it very unlikely that they'd buy many apps. Often times people who download a pirated app, they either don't use it, or use it once and forget about it. And if their intent was so flimsy, they'd never buy the app to begin with. so no sale.

I've actually heard of people hoarding pirated apps and never using them. not even once.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've actually heard of people hoarding pirated apps and never using them. not even once.

This is pretty close.

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/597936/775462#target

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

What you're saying is like, to put it in a grander scale, it's not a life lost if someone gets murdered because the killer was going to do it anyway, so the person had no chance to live. But that doesn't surprise me really... you always think in worst case scenarios.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

What you're saying is like, to put it in a grander scale

No that would be blowing things out of proportion.

I just think its not worth worrying too much about pirates, they aren't who you're selling to. Make your product worth it for the people who will buy it, and you've done your job. Anything else is a waste of time.

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I agree with that. I don't put any kind of counter measures in my games...

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Now in the off chance that it was impossible for them to jailbreak (unlikely), I find it very unlikely that they'd buy many apps.

The most likely scenario would be that they wouldn't buy an iPhone if they couldn't jailbreak it.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Does the appstore even work on a jailbreaked device?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yeah, apparently it does.

vbovio
Member #8,283
January 2007

Congrats for the game Trent!

sorry for being late :P

---------------
BovioSoft

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Thanks vbovio. I've got a contest running now on TouchArcade. Mateo may be interested :P. Perfect game wins a $15 iTunes gift card: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=65039

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Does a 34 win a $14 card? :-/

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

34 points wins you a whole lot of try again.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

For fun, I ran a simulator that was programmed to try to get the one perfect game that I'm aware of. Assuming you only play just for that one game and the letters are uniformly randomly selected, the expected number of tries to get it are 1 in 12,000. :-/

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are. There are about 4 or 5 combos that give 35 points. The letters are not evenly distributed, but more common letters come more often than the higher point letters. Not sure if these things will harm or hurt the probability of a perfect game. I know I've been one letter off a couple times though, and that letter just didn't come up. I haven't played anywhere near 12 000 games.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I haven't played anywhere near 12 000 games.

Having multiple ways to win would increase the chances more than the uneven distribution would hurt it. But like any expected value, you could reach it after 1 game, or 1,000,000 games...

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yeah, of course.. I think it's not an unattainable achievement though. I havent looked at the stats lately, but only a few thousand games have been played online so far. If a bunch of people really dedicated some time to it, I think one of them would get it. But obviously, just for a $15 gift card, it's not worth putting any extra effort into it, you just hope you get it during normal play.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Maybe just run a demo mode, telling people to run stock or stfu?

That's an awesome way to alienate your customers. Kudos! You should join some large corporation somewhere.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

That's an awesome way to alienate your customers.

If the device is jailbroken, they are unlikely to be actual customers.

But yeah, trying to do anything clever like that is bound to alienate some portion of your customer base. So its not often worth it.

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

For anyone who doesn't have an iphone or ipad but has a Windows or Mac machine, I put up Windows and Mac versions of the game on the nooskewl.com site mentioned in the OP.

1   2   3 

Go to: