Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » SpeedHack?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack?
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

That's what I did the last few times. I applied it to Christmas hack as well because of bad timing of how things fell into place.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Does Rate a Rule also exclude those rules which have been voted for in the previous years already?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You can only rate the same rule once, regardless of when you rated it.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Timorg said:

So for any of the 1st timers, aim low and polish polish polish.

Aim low and Polish...

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Kibiz0r said:

Aim low and Polish...

Poland's weak point is the lowlands?

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

That would be about 75% of the country :P

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I'm not sure how what I posted that caused this? I even checked my spelling.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I'm looking forward to this :) It's my first SpeedHack, so it should be...interesting.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm going to go ahead and prepare my back-out excuse now. I don't have internet at home, so I may not be able to get online to turn in my final work, because the library is closed on Sundays.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

I can't wait!

I am a bit worried about the rules though, every spin seems so boring. :-/

EDIT: I mean look at this "cats are cool, put as many cats in your game as you can.", what's challenging about this rule? it's just annoying and reduces the possebility of getting a cool rule which is well thought out.

EDIT2: Or the Sound Annoyance rule.. who actually wants to be forced to make their game crappy?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I can't wait!

I am a bit worried about the rules though, every spin seems so boring. :-/

EDIT: I mean look at this "cats are cool, put as many cats in your game as you can.", what's challenging about this rule? it's just annoying and reduces the possebility of getting a cool rule which is well thought out.

EDIT2: Or the Sound Annoyance rule.. who actually wants to be forced to make their game crappy?

I found a cool set of rules that I am using in a little competition with my brother, and this was on my second "roll." I guess I was just lucky! The rules were:

1. Be the good and evil guys in the game

2. The game must have a concept of time

3. The game must have multiple beginnings

4. You can change one word in any of the rules

So I have hope that the Rule-o-Matic will be good to us! :P

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

You can change one word in any of the rules

What if you change the word "one" to "two?"
I smell a loophole!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Martin Kalbfuß
Member #9,131
October 2007

Schyfis said:

What if you change the word "one" to "two?"

Then the sentence is wrong.

But

every would work

http://remote-lisp.spdns.de -- my server side lisp interpreter
http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/ -- Modula-2 alias Pascal++

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I just changed my vote to the winning vote! Go us, the winning side, woo!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I know code re-use is allowed, but does it have to be from code that is available for anyone (ie online), or can it come from anywhere?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It may be allowed, but its not looked highly upon. And you can take code from anywhere, but thats worse ;)

The whole thing is supposed to be about making most of the entire thing in the time limit. Not reusing parts of existing games and libs to slap something together.

But if you have to use something, it has to be freely available, and has to have been for sometime before the contest.

And remember, it can affect your score to reuse a lot of code.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Then the sentence is wrong.

Good call.

But what if you changed it to "can't?" Would that create some kind of paradox?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The only bit of code I want to use beforehand is the code that setups allegro, handles the main loop and refers to a config file for changing some of those settings. I might also create a Speedhack '09 logo/splash screen.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Well, I was referring to a project template I have that gets Allegro started, sets up timers and a few global variables, displays a simple splash screen and creates a basic game loop.

It's extremely generic, without any code specific to any particular type of game.

I've attached a copy, and anyone who wants to can use it (though you might want to change the "by LennyLen" part ;) ).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

LennyLen said:

I know code re-use is allowed, but does it have to be from code that is available for anyone (ie online), or can it come from anywhere?

If the code is included with your SH entry, then it doesn't matter. (Of course people appreciate you being honest regarding what code was written during the three days.) But if you are leaving code out as an external dependency, then it should be a well established third party library before the competition begins.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Sweet.

I actually have very little pre-written code that would be of much use, as I don't do much game-programming. But I figure if I can get a few simple tasks out of the way, I can concentrate on actually working on a game during the time. ;)

I'll most likely re-use the animation class (attached) I wrote for one of my games as well.

count
Member #5,401
January 2005

Quote:

(attached)

nope

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Oops, must have forgotten to click the Upload button. Fixed now.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Would you put an example of your *.anm file? I am interested in the code. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Here's an .anm file with the corresponding bitmaps.

Go to: