Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » New html mockup code

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New html mockup code
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hehehe, ok, didn't say anything!

From all the changes, I think the references one is the best. There are a couple of things missing (link back to referenced item from reference, reference reuse, and some more information in the reference link, like being able to add the title and the author of the article being cited). However, I won't complain that much

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

So as long as I don't edit my sig, I should be fine?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

From all the changes, I think the references one is the best. There are a couple of things missing (link back to referenced item from reference, reference reuse, and some more information in the reference link, like being able to add the title and the author of the article being cited)

Via the <ref> tag you can add whatever content you like.[1]

I'll look more into how Wikipedia handles them after I'm finished fixing all the things broken in the cross fire.

References

1. Matthew Leverton, 2009.
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Aha, yeah, that is one of the ways of using them, and the one that should work here. Do italics and things like that work in them?[1] If so, that is fine enough. Wikipedia uses now a template, {{cite web}}[2], which makes it easier to format (so that every citation from web has the same format).

Maybe if you add something like <ref title="Title" date="date" author="author" url="url">Some free text</ref> you could format the reference in a way (like "[url Title] (author), date. Some free text") which would standardize the way it is shown.

By the way, thought of ever adding direct links to certain sites? Like <wikipedia>NES</wikipedia> automatically linking to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES, or similar tags like <allegrowiki>, <youtube>, etc?

References

1. /Italics/ Bold Strikeout _Underlined_
  2. Cite web template

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

..., and limited the maximum number of lines to four.

Signatures of four lines only? What will bamccaig do now?

So as long as I don't edit my sig, I should be fine?

If I ever get a Web site up worth sharing[1] I'll want to add it to my signature so I guess I'm gonna lose most of my signature eventually... Still, a small price to pay for the improvements, I think.

References

1. IMO.
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Matthew: does this mean support for multiple languages may be possible in the future (for the code tags)? <code language="php"> or <code language="c#"> or similar?

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Quote:

as weapon_s has so proudly demonstrated

I take no pride in my ability to break and inclination to try weird things without thinking. Honestly.
Ooh, new spoiler button!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

bamccaig said:
BAF said:

Also, you should some kind of automatic quoting feature that automatically fills in the name and the source.

It should be trivial to write some custom JS to do this if ML doesn't.

Is this possible? I had no idea

Where is it explained? I didn't find help at the Control Center.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Hello,
couple of things on the great new features:

1. Where has the inline reply box gone?

2. There's a minor bug with references, when you click on it goes and highlights the text, which is nice, but it scrolls the text down so you miss the whole of the content. How about not jumping to the anchor or putting the anchor at the top of the text not the top of the references

spoilers are great as buttons, how about being able to change the text in the button and can they be made inline-block or just inline?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

I'm curious, for us anti-flash player people.. is there any CSS/JS code we can use to embed a proper media player? Something which is "guaranteed" to work and not break on a whim?

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Niunio said:

Is this possible? I had no idea

Where is it explained? I didn't find help at the Control Center.

Theme & Behavior: CSS/JS

I think it should be relatively easy to add a "Quote" link to the header of each post, that when clicked appends a...
<quote name="[originator]" src="[post_link]">[content]</quote>
...tag to the post textarea at the bottom. As a bonus, you could automate the markup, which is something copy/paste generally won't do. This would only work when you're able to add a new post though.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Where has the inline reply box gone?

Nothing has changed with that.

Quote:

There's a minor bug with references, when you click on it goes and highlights the text, which is nice, but it scrolls the text down so you miss the whole of the content.

Don't click if you can see the references on a short post.

Quote:

spoilers are great as buttons, how about being able to change the text in the button and can they be made inline-block or just inline?

Spoilers can hold any kind of content, including blocks of code. While I could detect what kind of content is actually inside it and adjust accordingly, I don't particularly wish to enable people to use it inline.

And for the sake of consistency, the buttons are named the same.

Kitty Cat said:

I'm curious, for us anti-flash player people.. is there any CSS/JS code we can use to embed a proper media player?

There will be three levels of options, as mentioned in the first post. The base, text-only option will look something like <span class="embedded-object youtube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0</span>.

So it will be easy for you to add custom JS to change that to whatever you want, but the site won't offer any official alternatives.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

Nothing has changed with that.

Yeah, it came back on my next post. Must have just been one of those things.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

There seems to be a problem with the links in code tags. In this thread, the code block has lines like this:

Kitty Cat said:
px += speed * cos [www.delorie.com](direction); 
py += speed * sin [www.delorie.com](direction);

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

happens here too with any function coming from outside of allegro :)

cos(direction);
sin(direction);
tan(direction);
atan2(x,y);
sqrt(0);
printf("blah");
blit(blah);
blah(blah);

Neil.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I really appreciate the change. But there are few issues that arose - note that I refreshed my cache and I even deleted whole browser cache.

• First of all the inline reply box is a square, which is not very nice - it used to span 3/4 of screen width or so.

• Second the spoiler tag in the OP still doesn't appear, though I've seen it in another thread.

• Third shift clicking large images doesn't work. It doesn't work on my Firefox, it doesn't work on Firefox in university lab. It chrashed Konqueror in the university lab and the only browser that was able enlarge the image was Opera. And it was done inside the thread (don't know if it's intended behaviour since shift clicking appeard because of ML's hate of large images destroying layout.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Everything you've written indicates that your Javascript files are outdated and are trigging a run time error.

I'd manually load http://www.allegro.cc/js/general.js and hit refresh on it.

It should be 9474 bytes with MD5 of c4a486831e290f4b7f306a4ad8a1a587.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yeah, the reply box being square/messed up is a problem I saw a few times messing with JS, an error in my onload function was stopping the mockup box from loading.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

I'd manually load http://www.allegro.cc/js/general.js and hit refresh on it.

Done that and still nothing.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Temporarily disable your custom JS if you have any...

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Temporarily disable your custom JS if you have any...

Thanks, it helped.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

So it was a problem in your custom JS then.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

// Ignore Poster app Version 0.1

This JS is to blame. Seems like it doesn't work properly now. So I hope Dustin makes a patch for it.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

A few global JS functions were removed, but nothing that scripts were likely to use.

Of more importance, prototype.js is now included and should be used in preference of any duplicated functionality that general.js supplies.

Go to: