Quote:

Scratch that, I beat 41!

A challenger approaches!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

37 waves defeated on my first try. Really nice game.

EDIT: 44 waves defeated. At some point I tried to pause it to take a rest but it was impossible. A pause key would be great.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

If I could change anything I would speed up the shock tower ever so slightly and make it so the missiles fire at better angles to hit intended target, specifically when it is above them, they tend to just go in circles around it if it's above them. I only defeated 30 waves :(

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I forgot to take a snapshot when I reached Wave 45 and haven't been able to repeat it, so I'll post this snapshot instead.

I guess this is as far as I'll get without a hotkey for repairing... which, on the other hand, might make it too easy.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597189

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

A challenger approaches!

I bow to kenmasters1976. I'm not worthy. :-[

Quote:

EDIT: 44 waves defeated.

That's insane. 30 thru 39 were madness, and 40+ is just absolute mayhem. :o

What was your strategy - missile launchers on the sides, and laser towers in the middle? My personal record of beating 41 waves was with the left half filled with missile launchers and the right half filled with laser towers so I could repair those more quickly (closer to the repair button).

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I got the zip version, and it crashed at the start of level 30, I finished 29 and it locked up with the sound looping. It was before the label for the boss appeared.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Aw :( http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597190

This might just be a problem in Wine, but I think it requires more sound channels somehow. Once the rapid fire upgrades kick in the sound effects keep getting cut off.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Is there any hope of a Mac port of this? I'd offer to do one myself but am considering what I believe will be a similar game to this (based on the descriptions; I haven't played it yet) as a commercial iPhone project so would rather not have access to the source.

EDIT: more ports = more changes of finding that pernicious little bug.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Thomas, it's space invader but you don't have a player - you just place objects and they fire.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Well in my head I was thinking "tower defence, but from the side", but nevertheless it sounds like a fun game and I'd like to play it; and I definitely wouldn't want to risk any potential allegation of source theft.

I guess I'll just have to endure a Parallels Desktop session, though that never-quite-resolved bug in which Allegro - when using the DirectX driver - does not update its client window is quite acute.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

My brother... threw down the gauntlet: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597191

After about level 45, the boss wave is a reprieve from the repair-fest.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

What do the shock towers do, I got to about level 20 without knowing :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Played two games, no crash (win 98)
My losses started when accidentally clicking the "sell button".

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Edgar Reynaldo said:

What was your strategy - missile launchers on the sides, and laser towers in the middle?

Yes, precisely. Also, when checking which weapons require repairing, I'd skip a couple on each corner since they're not likely to receive much damage, and you can check them only near the end of the wave, when things are calm. Well, that was my strategy, but seems that Peter Wang found a better one.

Neil Walker said:

Thomas, it's space invader but you don't have a player - you just place objects and they fire.

I kinda think about it as "Space Invaders meets RTS".

Oh, and shock towers launch a ray that destroys an enemy with one hit. It's hard to see them working when there's a lot of things going on onscreen, but they do work.

[EDIT:] 50 waves defeated (same as Peter Wang). All weapons fully upgraded and yet you lose. I think it's not possible to go any further.

{"name":"597196","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5ff2a97760ad61c2c3b6e7f980d9489f.png","w":645,"h":511,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5ff2a97760ad61c2c3b6e7f980d9489f"}597196

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I got 40-something once when I was bored. Didn't bother to remember the exact number.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The basic game is good, but it gets boring once it turns into the "click-and-repair-as-fast-as-I-can" mode.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

This is a very limited form of gameplay. I was just thinking about Robotech/Macros how the giant robots would deploy onto the hull of the SDF-1. A bit of a similarity there. So how about adding different environments than just the Earth scene? Like the surface of an airship, space ship, an undersea city, etc... Hey, you can do all that art can't you? :P

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Yes, I could, and I planned to do it. But, actually, the only reason I went and improved this (old and antiquated) version of Cosmic Invaders is because it's going to get some more mainstream distribution. Don't hold your breath for the deluxe version any time soon...

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

(Edit: posted before I saw X-G's response.)

That would be one way to keep it interesting. After you play a boss, you go to a new scene, starting over with different enemies and weapons. Part of the strategy would then be to conserve as much money as possible.

But I don't want to get carried away with suggestions. He's only calling it version 0.2.1, so perhaps he already has ideas for improvements.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Right, not particularly insightful comments from me that cut barely relate all to the game:

• it would be nice to have an alternative to right clicking due to the usual ye olde Allegro versus trackpad issues*;

• other than that the game is neat

• in that most trackpads are set up so that if you have tap click set, when you tap the OS just sends a 'user clicked message'. Ye olde Allegro abhores message passing, so maps this to the relevant button being down for an absolutely tiny fraction of a second. If your application doesn't poll in that period then it doesn't catch the click. This affects all computers I guess, but is much worse for Mac users since two-finger tap is the de facto method of right clicking in the absence of a physical second mouse button.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Nice to see you're still working on this little great game. I just love its aesthetic style. BTW, can you release a new version of your other awesome game: KnightFall :)

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Having now compared the new version to the 2007, I'm not completely sure about the bosses. In particular, the way the bombs cost you 1 of your life meter units if they don't hit an installation doesn't feel right — I appreciate that the point of a strategy game is to create conflicting interests, but it feels like the benefit of filling the floor to deliberately take damage that you can pay off just for boss levels doesn't fit neatly with the benefit of leaving the floor relatively sparse to avoid damage in the normal levels. But maybe that's just me?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Have a 'repair all' button and the game will be 10x better.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Perhaps not a "repair all" button, but if you hold down alt, it shows the health bar for all the units. So that its clear which need repairing, and which don't so you don't waste time clicking on them all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Perhaps not a "repair all" button, but if you hold down alt, it shows the health bar for all the units. So that its clear which need repairing, and which don't so you don't waste time clicking on them all.

Or maybe have the energy bar appear, deplete a little then disappear every time a base takes a hit? Or use some sort of colouring scheme so that bases that are more damaged slowly get redder (or whatever)?

1   2   3   4 

Go to: