Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Dwarf Fortress Community Game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Dwarf Fortress Community Game
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

My dudes always complain about not having a well so if you can get a trader to sell you three metal bars you can fashion a chain from them with your blacksmith.

IIRC you can use ropes, which are much easier to make. (You can make pig tail ropes very very early)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Just to let you guys know, almost a year, I'll finish up this puppy tonight and upload everything ( screens + story ). :)

EDIT:

Well I had a lot of school shit to do and now the time is 2:12 AM. No use of doing anything now since I already fell asleep once. The dull music ain't helping. Sorry for the delay. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Cool! Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Ok, so here we go. The saved game is attached and the story (well not really :P) is underneath.

Download save.
note: I'm not an experienced player, sorry for any stupid mistakes/choices I made.
also, gnolam, sorry about what I'm leaving you with. You'll manage. ;D

2nd Granite, 203

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596642

We arrived at this retched site a few moments ago. Carrying with us a plentiful supply of Dwarven liquor. Should be enough to keep the guys happy over the winter. Our first priority of course is digging the entrance to our would be Fortress.

Hmmm... Where to put that entrance. Well, I guess we could put it right up here. But I saw a river on the way up here. Yes. That shall be it, we will build an entrance at the river site, its a walk down the mountain, but at least well be near the water.

11th Granite, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596643

The entrance to our Fortress is done. Now where did all those lazy maggots go to? There are stairs to be built and irrigation systems to be... Irrigated? Damn these lazy dwarfs, I bet they are drinking again.

9th Slate, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596644

I took us almost a damn month to complete the food storage and the farm plots are still in the works. Where is my whip? These dwarfs need to get their arses moving faster. We still need to built a Mechanics workshop so we can build floodgates. The mechanic went missing yesterday so that will have to wait.

And by the Blood of Armok, what is with all the stone? Stone here stone there. This is insane. SOMEBODY GET RID OF IT. The woodcutter already tripped and broke his nose 2x. Must he do it a third time to prove that its time to get rid of the stone??

2nd Felsite, 203

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596645

Found the mechanic. He was half-dead drunk by the river. Well at least now he is okay and we can build the floodgates, not to mention the stone crusher so we can get rid of all this damn stone. I hate stone. Did I mention that? I really do.

Anywho, the irrigation tunnel was built and now we can get those floodgates installed.

2nd Hematite, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596646

Summer... Don't get me started. We are currently constructing some basic living quarters for the dwarfs. When that is done, the damn irrigation system needs to be made functional or else if we run out of food... Well, lets just say not good.

There is also the matter of all the STONE. DAMN YOU STONE. DAMN YOU AND YOUR MOTHER!

15th Hematite, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596647

First the stone, now these... These... Longnose gars? By the Almightys hammmer, what is wrong with this fortress? Everything is infested with rock and these stupid fish... Why? We need to filter these out of the irrigation system. But I guess Its already too late for that. Damn these fish!

22nd Hematite, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596648

Yes, the irrigation system is working. FINALLY! Now, the only problem is we need a drain, I'll remember this for later. Drain... Oh look, a Longnose gar! Wait, what was I supposed to remember again? Oh yes, the LOWER LEVER opens the right floodgate, the upper lever opens the one that leads to the plots. Hmmm... I think its like that. I don't remember exactly.

13th Malchite, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596649

The water in the farming room is taking forever to drain. We may need to build a draining system below before it will drain. Anyway, the bedrooms are finished and boy are they too big for these lazy-assed dwarfs. They don't deserve such luxury. Next time I'm ordering them to build them small.

16th Galena, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596650

The dining rooms are being built. The farm plots are being drained and a tile will be built over the draining hole later on. We need to figure out a better system for this. Why didn't we add a 3rd floodgate and another lever? Don't ask me. We were too drunk.

17th Limestone, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596651

Water flooded the fortress this morning. The dumb woodcutter opened the wrong lever. No harm done really, everything just a little wet. It will pass I hope. So, the dining room is a mess and the farm plot needs seeds.

On another note, we finally have a trade depot right outside. Now we need to make some products to sell.

22nd Sandstone, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596652

We smoothed some things, emptied the dining hall a bit and are continuing to beautify this dump as much as possible. Can't do much really. I guess the next priority is the stone crusher after we build the dining hall.

1st Moonstone, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596653

Winter is upon us. Well, no need saying that as the damn cold already says it all. Somebody should have built a hatch over the damn stairway so the cold wouldn't get here. I guess the drunk dwarfs forgot it again. No wonder, we have more alcohol then real food. I'm not complaining, but I guess its not too good either.

At least our farms are working somewhat.

22nd Moonstone, 203
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596654

We finally have a fine craftsmen working on pretty toys and other such things. We located the workshop at the end of the hall near the dining room one level deeper. The craftsmen needs his peace to do quality products.

Now when those damn elves arrive they wont be able to say we got nothing! HAHA!

1st Obsidian, 203

My last month here, and thank armok for that. I can't stand these fish. I hate fish.

And I must say, a beloved member of the community went hammers and died today. Sad indeed. Hopefully the next Overseer can bring some immigrants to these parts, in which I have clearly failed.

There is enough food now to sustain the population, we need more alcohol, so I'm going to order a brewery built.

1st Granite, 204
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596655

Spring has finally arrived and I must now leave this Fortress. I will miss Vann the miner, I have grown to like him. I also fear for the poor sob who is coming to take over this Fortress. Why? Well, not to say that I did that bad of a job, but its the location. I don't like it. Too many fish.

I would recommend building a well, of course, and attracting more immigrants, but of course he will figure that out by himself.

I say goodbye to all my dwarf friends and Good luck to the next overseer. Farewell.

--

P.S. I can't wait to see what you guys muster up. :)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Sweet!

gnolam, you're up buddy.

Boom!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Vanneto, it might help if you used a character set that didn't have a THESE ARE HUGE FUCKING STONES IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE tile for the stones.
I've been using a slightly modified version of Herrbdog's character set
Also, to my delight I saw that that latest version of DF has variable sized "grids", so you don't have to play with that annoying 80x25, you can see a lot more of what's happening if change init.txt.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dwarf Captain : 
  Hmm, haven't heard any reports from the new dwarven outpost lately.
  I better send in a scout...
Dwarven Scout :
  Investigates new outpost region...
  Prepares report for commander...
  Scouts Report :
    Mining prospects for the site look good, I saw several
      veins of copper and hematite during my foray.
    Basic terrain layout is a hilly region with the major feature
      being a long N to S valley created by natural erosion from 
      the areas river.
    Dwarven outpost is beginning to take shape, with some modest
      living quarters and rooms being fashioned. I think somebody
      forgot to turn the faucet off. It's muddy everywhere!
    Natural wildlife is on the whole, tolerable, but take note :
      ###   Giant Eagle Advisory! Alert!   ###
      Make sure to build in precautions and escape routes in case
      the resident giant eagle decides it's hungry for dwarves...
    Personnel :
      # High Inspector Gnolam appears to be late for his duties... #
    Conclusion :
      Outlook promising, if tempered with caution and proper planning.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I really enjoy playing DF (no, I'm not interested in playing a succession game, so don't add me to the list).

Here I was, thinking that Carps aren't really dangerous... after all, what can a bloody fish do to a dwarf? Oh, how wrong I was:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596713
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596714

I know the picture shows only the fish remains and a river running deep red with blood, but a couple minutes later a dwarf actually got pulled in and bit to pieces by another Carp. Unfortunately, no screenshot.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

All my spare time went inexplicably missing. Edgar Reynaldo takes my turn instead.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Year 204, The Dwarven Fortress Unolrigoth in the land of Adeladefini.

Rimtar amidoltar the Architect has been promoted to Bookkeeper as well as the Outpost Broker and an office has been built to carry out his duties as Bookkeeper in.

A wide hallway into the mountain to the west has been initiated. The area has been proposed as a warehouse and general storage area. Plants and trees near the main entrance to the fortress have been designated for harvest. The plants should help diversify the farm crops after the seeds have been gathered. Bins, bins, and more bins are slated for construction to consolidate furniture, bars and blocks of various materials as they are created. The areas of current stockpiles near the entrance have been expanded and work is underway to clear the fortress of all loose stone.

23rd Granite, Early Spring 204
Elven traders stopped by. I made sure not to try and sell them anything made out of wood, as they get rather picky about things like that. A kobold thief tried to ambush the caravan, but Bomrek Osirast the woodcutter put a quick stop to him.

We sent our supply of toys, instruments, and mugs over to the depot and began to trade. The elves offered some rope reed cloth, assorted animal cages (one with a live Jaguar even), some wooden armor pieces, and a few assorted foodstuffs. Not being the most experienced traders just yet, we tried to pick up a barrel of sewer brew (some real skunky beer I guess) , several wooden bucklers, a quality Highwood shield, a bag of rat weed seed as well as blade weed seeds, along with a rope reed bag and the only food they had with them, 5 muck roots and 5 portions of rat weed.

Hmph. Stuffy elves said they wouldn't "trade at a loss" until we agreed to let go of the bucklers and shield. We can make better ones ourselves anyway. Hmph.

18th Slate, Mid Spring 204
Some of the water from the river was diverted through a grate into a pool for drinking water. Perhaps the grate will prevent some of the more agressive aquatic life from reaching our water supply.
{"name":"596783","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c5d0a7edae288d5308d4bb48c9f1131.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c5d0a7edae288d5308d4bb48c9f1131"}596783
Upon it's completion, Vann decided to throw a party with the horses down in the dining hall. ;D
{"name":"596784","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d054be916e7e840e9312c4c8a22fe90.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d054be916e7e840e9312c4c8a22fe90"}596784

Bomrek and Urvad decided to join Vann's party as well :
{"name":"596787","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/adb790847b8c48d9fb913e8635ccc665.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/adb790847b8c48d9fb913e8635ccc665"}596787

23rd Slate, MidSpring 204
High in the mountains to the northwest, a migrant party arrived from afar.
Party constituents and their new assignments upon arrival :

Name                  Title           New jobs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iton   Kasbenrigoth   Miller          Milling, Herbalism, Cooking
Feb    Nolfikod       Gem Setter      Gem Cutting/Setting , Mining, Masonry
Led    Ostarlokum     Kitten          Catching mice, chasing away vermin
Thob   Menginen       Armorer         Armoring, Mining, Weaponsmith/Blacksmith
Endok  Urvadlisat     Peasant         Wood cutting, Fishing, Animal Care
Logem  Litastdakas    Lye Maker       Making Lye, Mining, Furnace Ops, Woodburner
Rigoth Olinmasos      Butcher         Butchery, Tanning, Leatherwork
Urdim  Rithcatten     Bowyer          Bowyer, Wood cutting/crafting, Farming
iton   Duradmonom     Peasant         Farming, Milking, Herbalism, Brewing
Lorbam Buketsakzul    Woodworker      Wood cutting, Carpentry, Bowyer
Zuglar Dumatonol      Hunter          Hunting, Trapping, Herbalism, Marksdwarf
Aban   Idducim        Blacksmith      Metalwork, Furnace Ops, Woodburner, Architect
Udib   Alathezum      Dissector       Fishery, Trapping, Dissection
Minkot Ilrallikot     Miner           Mining, Masonry, Stonecrafter
Athel  Bomrekbokbon   Fishery         Fishery
Cerol  Dallithtun     Peasant         Woodcutter, Engraver, Axedwarf

The community is large enough to support a Sheriff now, and Zuglar Dumatonol has been appointed to the office. Zuglar and Cerol Dallithtun have been commissioned to be part of a standing military force and are to commence training after the barracks and archery grounds are complete.

To be continued.....

##### Update #####

1st Hematite, 204, the beginning of summer :
Basic warehouses on the ground floor are complete, with weapons, ammo, and armor in the southeast, and cloth and leathers in the northwest with furniture in the west. Several new workshops have been created, notably a Mill and Farmer's Workshop above the underground farm, a Butchery and Fishery near the water supply, and a kitchen next to the brewery on sub floor 1. Work continues on expanding the sleeping chambers to the east of their current position towards the underground river while keeping a safe distance. On that note, access to the underground farm was created from above in the Mill and Farmer workshop area, and access to the main area of sub floor 1 from the farm will be walled off to prevent accidental flooding.

Warehouse
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596837

Farm workshop and Mill
{"name":"596838","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1bbc9ed25c4fd34655621055c7b19ee1.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1bbc9ed25c4fd34655621055c7b19ee1"}596838

New kitchen, new sleeping quarter construction
{"name":"596839","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f75cb427440cd6b98ee143bd75d06f9a.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f75cb427440cd6b98ee143bd75d06f9a"}596839

< Sorry it's taking so long, I got caught up working on an hsv widget , but I may be able to finish my turn by tomorrow >

##### Update #2 #####

26th Hematite, Summer 204
A pack of wild rhesus macacques took off with at least 5 steel bolts. Three of them made it all the way to the edge of the map before I knew about it, and I still don't where they were being stolen from (at least it wasn't from the ammo stockpile anyway).

18th Malachite, Mid-Summer 204
From sub level 1, a descending stair case to sub level 7 was created, where an exploratory mine shaft to the west is being dug. Not far along the shaft, a vein of Microcline was struck. At the west end, some Graphite was discovered. A tunnel leading west from the warehouse area and then slightly south is being dug to reach some deposits of native copper 5 levels above it, along with some visible hematite ore.

7th Galena, Late Summer 204
Well, it doesn't look like any migrants are going to show up this season.

12th Galena, Late Summer 204
Urvad Kodasmel the Mason has been possessed! He immediately claimed a Mason's workshop, grabbed a couple stones from the stockpile and set to work on a mysterious construction, repeatedly muttering Lekmishos Amithrerras. We'll have to wait and see just what he comes up with!

15th Galena, Late Summer 204
Sad news, the first dwarf to die this year, Feb Nolfikod our Gem Setter died of thirst. Earlier in the year he withdrew from society, and was later stricken with melancholy. I built him a Gem Setters workshop, and even made him a nice room with a weapon rack the way he liked, but it wasn't enough to cheer him up. Sorry to see you go, Feb Nolfikod.

16th Galena, Late Summer 204
It turns out that the mysterious construction Urvad Kodasmel was working on was a Quartzite cabinet. On the cabinet are two images in Quartzite, a dwarf surrounded by other dwarves, and an image of bucklers.

21st Galena, Late Summer 204
While mining the hematite vein exposed at the edge of the mountain earlier, we've also struck Native Aluminum! Looks like our metalsmith will be busy once we get a stockpile of coal built up for the furnaces!

18th Limestone, Early Autumn 204
Kosoth Tiristdeg, the Hamlet Liason met with our Manager Urvad Kodasmel to discuss future trade good shipments. I recommended mid priority for several kinds of meat and fish and mid-high priority for all the seeds we haven't been able to find/gather/process like Cave Wheat, Dimple Cups, Rocknuts, and Sweet Pods. Chain armor along with miscellaneous armor pieces was given mid priority, along with cow leather. Also requested was coal, as there never seems to be enough wood to turn into it. Battle axes, short swords and picks were given mid priority as well.

Here's what they requested for next year's trade in return :
{"name":"596861","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2b9da7b8c8f8b1f03d837f2ed299843.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2b9da7b8c8f8b1f03d837f2ed299843"}596861

The merchants ended up leaving without trading anything, as our Broker Rimtar Amidoltar the clerk kept doing other jobs instead of going to the depot to trade. I changed the rules to allow non-brokers to trade but I couldn't get someone to trade in time. Next time I guess, and that's fine since I hadn't really made any goods to sell so far. I'll start on that now.

8th Timber, Late Autumn 204
A group of migrants arrived from high in the mountains to the southwest. There are plenty of beds built, but now we'll need to make more sleeping quarters. The stone is piling up already, but at least we'll have more dwarves to haul it with now!
New arrivals :

Name                  Major skills (novice & up)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tekkud Isonmuthkat    Carpenter       
Kol    Nithar         Clothier
Monom Regthak         Fish Dissector
Zuglar Olinzagod      Leather worker
Zasit Alakthikut      Metal crafter
Rigoth Ustanaban      None - Peasant
Goden Ubaldastot      Miner
Horse foal, Kitten

26th Moonstone, Early Winter 204
Two kobold thieves struck the camp - the first had the bad luck of running into the sheriff and his men, while the second struck when only Urvad was around. Urvad chased him but couldn't finish him off and got his right arm hurt slightly in the scuffle.

In recognition of the astounding amount of littered stone and in the interest of clearing the new wing of sleeping quarters from stone, a garbage dump has been created to the east of the sleeping quarters and a large portion of stone has been tagged for dumping. A second stone dump was created in the western exploratory mine shaft.

16th Opal , Mid-Winter 204
Logem Litastdakas the Lye Maker has been struck by a fey mood! Apparently he "has the aspect of one fey", whatever that means. Let's hope it's not serious. He just claimed a Craftsdwarfs workshop, I better make sure I have everything he needs to build whatever it is he's up to. Oh good, all he needed was a bone. Bizarre. After 4 days, he came out of the shop with... A mountain goat bone piccolo!

24th Opal , Mid-Winter 204
While channeling out some ledges above a new drinking pool area closer to the entrance, a section of the area collapsed, and Vann itonazuz fell one level where he was knocked unconscious. Other than that he appears to be okay though. And he's up and running again after just a short while. It should be noted that Vann has achieved the status of Legendary Miner and is Perfectly Agile. He cuts through rock about 5 times as fast if not more than Competent Miners around him. Glad he's okay.

1st Granite , Early Spring 205
And, spring has arrived! I guess now it's time for me to step down from my position as overseer and documentarian of the fortress.

Some notes to ease the transition of the next overseer into their position :
There are 3 aluminum chains queued up to be made at the blacksmith, but no one seems to get around to making them. When they're ready, you should have everything you need to make some wells. There's a fresh water source right next to the entrance now, conveniently. A sand collection zone has been set near the Farming workshop and you can make some glass beakers once you build the workshops. Never tried it before myself. Weapon and armor inventory have been somewhat neglected in getting things set up, but there should be around 10 crossbows and shields. You'll probably need more axes and a few pickaxes, along with other general weapons. The sheriff's needs weren't met so there hasn't been a sheriff for a while apparently. Zuglar Dumatonol was a good sheriff and I recommend him for the job if you choose to fill it. The lower eastern entrance was planned to have a portcullis installed for emergencies, as well as plans for fortifications to be carved into the wall behind it. This was the same plan for the other entrance, but neither have been fully implemented yet. The giant eagle has left and returned but hasn't caused any trouble and I hope it remains that way for you as well. Take note that a flying enemy could get in through the upper farming area. I set some hot keys to common locations, be sure to take a look.

Best of luck, 
                                   Urvad 'Eddy' Kodasmel

The Chronicles of Unolrigoth, Spring 204 - Winter 205

{"name":"596864","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/4277a8cabc59e1a920130ef3c0b7a65b.png","w":812,"h":632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/4277a8cabc59e1a920130ef3c0b7a65b"}596864

Zipped region save folder

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Gnolam, if you have time then you're up. If not, we'll let X-G go.

Boom!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Somebody better go, I want to see a giant fortress, damnit!

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Must've missed that post. Oh well, I won't have any time this week. X-G, take over.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm sorry, I had a sudden attack of the craftsmans. A bloody house painter has been occupying my home for the last week (repainting the walls and ceiling; it looks great in retrospect, though) leaving me with virtually no computer access outside of work (and I don't think they approve of Dwarf Fortress during work hours :P). I can take a turn later.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Contractor has been taken by a fey mood! Contractor has claimed an X-G's Apartment! Contractor has created Naphthasmell, a Carcinogenous Rent Raiser!

;)

--

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

It menaces with spikes of cobalt.

Seriously painter dude what's with the spikes

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

You should be viewing an inspiring mural of Elephants trampling game development projects soon.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Ok. I'll start my turn today.

Boom!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

I'm not going to lie, I'll need a few extra days to finish this up. Things have been tight with school. I've only got a two-day week this week though. So I should be finished by Wednesday.

Boom!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: