Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Let's make a song

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Let's make a song
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Whose rhythm guitar do you have there? I think both Paul and I did rhythm guitars.

I'm happy with Matthew's singing. It makes all other sound so damn good. Seriously, the sound of the singing is good enough. I've said it before, it gives a certain touch to the song.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

I agree. I'd say everything fits in pretty nicely.
It would so rock to have real drums though :(

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

The rhythm guitars I have mixed in are ritmicas.xxx and 2guitars.xxx so if I missed one please post a link... If anyone notices anything else missing or anything that should change let me know...

I do like the harsh vocals, but if Matthew does re-record them I can make two test mixes and then we can vote on which one is better... I'd prefer to have new tracks that aren't clipped though because they might settle better in the mix. The clipping just devastates the whole frequency domain and makes it harder to balance it in the mix, but I could always simulate the original sound with some eq if the new tracks sound better...

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Ok, ritmicas are Paul's and 2guitars are mine, I think.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Yeah there both there I just need to get rid of the one I recorded myself because it just sounds crappy...

There... I kept the note at the beginning of my track because it rhymes with the bass in the intro and got rid of the rest of my track... After some more tweaks I'll make another mix.

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Here are the verses with a different mic: monday-vocals-081006.zip.

I can record it all in one track if you want. Also, let me know what background track I should be listening to as I record.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Whoa... ::) I don't know if its my computer or if you processed those tracks, but it sounds kinda like the exorcist is singing with you in the background... jk ;D Good job.

What did you use on those tracks?

[edit] Couldn't resist. Check out this thread

----

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I just named this one "picture me" http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596451

[coruse]
picture me

hugging you

picture meee ... girl kissin you

picture me lovin you
[/coruse]

[coruse2]
picture me

im hugging you

picture meee ... girl im kissin you

picture me im lovin you
[/coruse2]

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Attached are new recordings using the beta version of Audacity on my laptop (instead of my workstation).

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Cool... Nice job cleaning up those tracks Matthew... The only thing you missed was the DC offset which was probably introduced by your sound card, but I fixed it. I'm impressed by how well it all actually sounds... I'll get around to making the mix soon. I've just been really busy lately with other things, but I should have one soon.

----

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I don't even know what you mean by DC offset... I turned off the Windows 20 DB mic boost and recorded at 1.0. I didn't do any post-processing.

I think the biggest reason it was cleaner (than the previous recording with the new mic) is I switched to the latest version of Audacity, which works better with Vista. Or it could have been that I switched to my laptop, but I would have thought my $60 sound card in my workstation would be better than whatever crap is in my Dell...

I can record the other little non-verse bits this weekend.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Here's my mix: Do This Little Dance 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Oh Yeah :) Now it's cooking

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The little dance remix sounds like 2 minutes of "Jesus lives ... an RPG." ???

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I heard "Judas little ants" :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Whoa... ;D I like that... I wasn't expecting it so I started laughing so hard I typed haha as my login name and of course that didn't work....

A boost of the highs in the vocal track might make the vocals a little more intelligible... It might need a de-esser after the boost but you should be able to hear what Matthew is actually saying... Instead of 'judas little bats'?

[edit]
Ok... Here is another mix with the new vocal tracks... I don't know what to think about it. I must have an ear infection or something because everything sounds muffled... including my voice. :-/

Monday song (10-09-08)

Let me know what you think. Is something missing or does anything need to change?

----

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

To Ron The Producer Novy:

BEAUTIFUL!, I can clearly hear every instrument in the mix ! I love this mix!
Can you upload a vocal-free version of this song? it sounds so good that I want to sing over it, it's karaoke time! ;D

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

One question... Should the backup vocals be in the karaoke version?

----

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

backup vocals should be in the "instrumental" version but not in the "karaoke" version. ;)

--

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

OK I made two quick karaoke versions. One has the backup vocals and the other has no vocals at all...

I'm going to be leaving again so these might be the last ones I do for a while...

With backup vocals
Without backup vocals

----

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Mark, that mix is awesome! Now if we only get the video done, too, for our conventional mix, it would look great to run all kinds of filters on the video and put your mix as the soundtrack.

Ron, there's still the midi trombone in the chorus. It shouldn't be there. Otherwise, I think it's good. Oh, the violine glissando is there in the very end end. I'd prefer Matthews voice only. Without the midi trombone, too.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The drums still need work; the samples aren't CASIO anymore, but the patterns still are.
The MIDI horns need to be ditched.
The bass is still not completely tight everywhere.
The Ross Plays Keyboard fills are still in there.
Still love the guitar solo (Someone's been listening to Brian May. A lot.)
The vocals sound pretty good now. Almost like a real singer :-*

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm afraid we won't get any drummer. Not even to reprogram the midi.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Pity.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

It might take some time for me to get back and make another mix... I can easily fix the trombone and violin, but as for drums I'm clueless on what to do. Maybe Mark can throw some of his beats in there? ;) I once had BFD but it's long gone. I'm not sure if it would have the right kit though... If anyone comes up with anything it will certainly be a lot better then anything I could do.

----

Go to: