Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I'm having a major brain fart when trying to make the Weapon/Health bar. I know it's been discussed a lot, but that's using Allegro4, not 5. Should we make it into a class or something? How does it draw? Maybe it draws itself to a width*height ALLEGRO_BITMAP, and then pass that to the caller, who "places" it wherever on the screen/HUD?

Does anyone want to write this up? Reuse old code, if you've got it.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Thread bump.

Really, we should do something, or else stagnate.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Meeting on monday in #allegro-monday@freenode be there or/and be square. I'll be there all day. The actual meeting should probably take place around 20:00h (8pm) GMT.

If you need some form of preparation, heres what I intend to bring up:

• WHAT THE CRAP NEEDS DONE?

• What has been done?

• Where's 23's game plan?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

OnlineCop said:

Don Freeman: Does that mean that, instead of the character leveling up, their skills with those particular weapons have experience tied to them and level up/down depending on their use?

It's been a while since I played Dungeon Siege, but yeah...I believe that is how they done it. It doesn't have to be stored in the weapon, just what type of weapon it is, such as melee, ranged, or magic. The character levels up in each of those categories, depending on how much they use those categories. I kind of like that idea...more realistic to me.

OnlineCop said:

The status bars are easy to calculate. I just haven't figured out how to make them into objects and add to the HUD.

I don't think we NEED to make these a separate object. We could, but it so trivial...it is a waste in my mind. I would think this should just be one of the final steps of the rendering pipeline, just draw it onto the final buffer before presentation to the screen.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Quote:

Meeting on monday in #allegro-monday@freenode be there or/and be square. I'll be there all day. The actual meeting should probably take place around 20:00h (8pm) GMT.

Doesn't work for me, or for anyone with midday responsibilities and living in US/Canada.

Probably people should try to be on #allegro-monday whenever they're on the computer, so that at least it isn't utterly silent like it often is. Meeting times should be on weekends or in the evenings (which is hard because of time zones).

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Meeting times should be on weekends or in the evenings (which is hard because of time zones).

Not going to please everybody. So I just picked a time. If you show up, great, if not, you can catch up later.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Where's 23's game plan?

Well, that one's easy ....

.http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597493

I will organize my thoughts for Monday; I can be there that evening (appropriately enough). I'll also be ready to take advice on getting Allegro 5.0 installed.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I'll also be ready to take advice on getting Allegro 5.0 installed.

Its considerably more easy to install than it has been previously (lots of work has gone into the build system the past couple months). Just grab the latest 4.9 snapshot from here and run the following:

cd allegro-4.9
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" ..
make
make install

Thats at least for mingw. if you have msys installed, you'll actually need to pass "MSYS Makefiles" instead.

edit: I should mention, you can also run: cmake-gui instead, and enter the path to the source dir, and the build dir in the GUI, then click the configure button, mess with some options, then click the Generate button (or configure again till Generate is enabled).

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It wouldn't hurt to provide links to get cmake too. ;) The installation I have seems incomplete (lacking MinGW makefiles according to --help, etc.). :-X

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

BTW, I just noticed that 8PM was GMT. That's, like, 2AM here if I read that right. Holy smokes. Either correct me, since that's an ungodly hour, or maybe I'll just sleep early and get up for an hour of chat. :P

Should probably see if I still have an IRC client on this piece of junk, too ....

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

drops in

So how's the project coming?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

23yrold3yrold said:

BTW, I just noticed that 8PM was GMT. That's, like 2AM here if I read that right. Holy smokes. Either correct me, since that's an ungodly hour, or maybe I'll just sleep early and get up for an hour of chat. :P

AFAIK, it's like 3PM here, in which case I'll either be at work or just getting out of a game design class at the local university... >_<

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

BTW, I just noticed that 8PM was GMT. That's, like, 2AM here if I read that right. Holy smokes. Either correct me, since that's an ungodly hour, or maybe I'll just sleep early and get up for an hour of chat. :P

Im sorry, but you've done your math wrong :P You're like what, 3 hours ahead of me? 8PM GMT is about 4PM "eastern canada".

Quote:

AFAIK, it's like 3PM here, in which case I'll either be at work or just getting out of a game design class at the local university... >_<

Doesn't mean you can't show up after!

edit: Show up any time today. I'm in the channel now and will keep logs. I'll be around all day.

edit2: Its 10PM GMT now (if I have my math right), nobody's around. I've been up since 1am my time (its 3:17pm now). If I'm not awake when you people show up, please get something done.

--

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I can understand staying up until 1am, but getting up then? :P

I'll be on soon.

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I can understand staying up until 1am, but getting up then? :P

I seem to be the most productive in the morning. Early morning I end up using for reading rss feeds, and surfing, then I get down to business. I've gotten a ton work done the past 3 days on this schedule :) Wake up around 1-4, go to bed around 1-4. whamo, instant progress. (just check allegro's svn repo, tons of work done lately by yours truly)

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm in there now and nobody seems to be responding. :-/ Anyway, it sounds like I might be taking a game design course this semester at the local university (with Samuel Henderson). There is a semester-long project where we have to design and develop a game... :-X I don't know if I'll have time to work on the developer console for Monday now. I'm already a week (or two) behind in the classes as a result of learning about it late... On top of the class I'll also be working... >_< Needless to say, I'm going to be quite tired for the next 4 months (that is, more so than usual)...

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Still happening? Anybody there?

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

SRY GAIS RAIDING NAXX KANT GO

Seriously though, recommend an IRC client? I apparently don't have one. And yeah I just got home from work (admittedly later than usual); you self-employed or something, Thomas?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Chatzilla? It's an extension for Firefox.

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

That's what I'm using.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

1C:\>cd allegro5
3C:\allegro5>mkdir build
5C:\allegro5>cd build
7C:\allegro5\build>cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" ..
8CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to select a different build tool.
9CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to select a different build tool.
10CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
11Missing variable is:
12CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
13CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
14Missing variable is:
15CMAKE_C_COMPILER
16CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/allegro5/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
17CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
18Missing variable is:
19CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
20CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
21Missing variable is:
22CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
23CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/allegro5/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
24CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
25CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
26-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
28C:\allegro5\build>

Pretty sure I got CMake on here since last Allegro 5.0 attempt. Tell me what I screwed up in the IRC channel. :P

Quote:

drops in

So how's the project coming?

Still can't work with Allegro 5.0, and I think everyone's waiting on me to get with the program, so to speak. :P Tried the binaries again, same errors I mentioned way back that I got no help with. Will try again tomorrow.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your cmake from, but for some strange reason its broken. Try this installer. And then use cmake-gui instead, it might be a little more friendly to use for a windows person.

Quote:

you self-employed or something, Thomas?

Yes and no.

edit: I've just tested with the latest cmake, and it does appear to be broken if you use cmake.exe. But works fine if you use cmake-gui. So try cmake-gui instead.

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I've never been able to build allegro using something else than command line cmake. All the GUI stuff I tried before was broken on my configuration.

Well, can't someone give him prebuilt binaries ? Looks like CGamesPlay already tried the binaries with no luck.

Edited

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I've just tested with the latest cmake, and it does appear to be broken if you use cmake.exe.

Quote:

Looks like CGamesPlay already tried the binaries with no luck.

Well, I feel better knowing this isn't just me. ^_^ Will try cmake-gui when I get home; gotta run now.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

I think you get that error if make.exe is not in your PATH.

Go to: