Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Your new favorite programmer:

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Your new favorite programmer:
nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Guys, you have got to stop this NOW! If A.cc gets put on TV for harassing a female we WILL be Slashdotted! A.cc will DIE! STOP THE MADNESS!!!

Quote:

Peter Bol: Hello everyone.

My name is Peter and I am a segment producer for Channel 9 News in Secaucus, NJ. You may know us as "My9". We are doing a human interest story on women making their way in the Web 2.0 world, and Sara will be one of the people we're focusing on. We also have a 14-yr-old from Westfield, NJ who created a super cool Facebook support group for young teen girls with body issues.

Sara mentioned this thread so I joined to see what the discussion was all about. I see that Sara's appearance on this board has caused a stir, so that might make for an interesting angle in the story!

If anyone wants to comment, and is willing to appear on TV, please contact me through private messages.

I'm digging for info on this Peter Bol guy and I'm not finding anything related to channel 9 of Syracuse NY, although the station is legit.....

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

This thread is fun, even for Allegro :D

First I was like "meh, female programmer... big deal" then "why is this thread not dead yet?", so I opened it and saw that Sara decided to join us (or not, depending on the "sign with a.cc or GTFO"-variable)... Interesting turn of events.

I'm not going to go into this discussion (again...), but you should feel free to ignore just about anything bammccaig says on the subject - it's not the general opinion (at least not where I come from). ;)

Anyway, welcome to allegro.cc! I was going to say that you shouldn't expect special treatment because of your boobs gender, but I would be lying... :)

Also, I really hope this Peter Bol character is a joke, seriously... THIS IS NOT NEWS.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Oh. My. God.
This is a serious question to some of you guys (you know who you are): have you ever seen a girl before?

Honestly, some posts up here are beyond believable.

(EDIT: oh yes, welcome :)).

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Wait a minute: Why are "Sara's" images linking from:

http://www.allegro.cc/images/rcache/c4af9af8a3e263c39d42ec9915055229.jpg

wtf is rcache?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

It's A.cc's cache that buffers all images linked from other websites.
I think, but it's been doing that to images linked with [ img ] tags for a while now (try it!)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Every image that you link to and it isn't from allegro.cc gets cached. I guess its for faster loading times and the fact that the external host can die and the images are still available.

BTW nonnus, stop trying to steer this thread off-topic! >:(

In capitalist America bank robs you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sara Chipps said:

In these pictures am I advertising prostitution or trying too hard?

Whoa, whoa, if you're going to post something NSFW, warn people! :o

Kidding, of course. If you are, you fail. You actually look respectfully beautiful in those pictures. :o Is that one girl wearing a corset!? :-X

Sara Chipps said:

I'm not wearing much in any of them. Am I advertising that I want to get paid for sex? Am I not allowed to dress this way without expecting to be treated like trash in your society?

The only thing remotely exposed is your legs... And I don't mean right to the hip... :-/ Albeit, the skirts in some of those pictures look a little short, but it can obviously get a lot more extreme. In particular:

In the linked thread, Matthew Leverton said:

...if you have to cross your legs while you sit down, maybe you should just wear [a skirt] that's a bi[t] longer.

You're welcome to wear whatever you want, but it WILL have an effect on how people interact with you, especially guys. Also, do NOT complain when males of any age take an open opportunity to look up a woman's skirt. You're the one wearing an open door instead of a wall. Would you undress in a room with an open door and not expect passing guys to peek in? Not if you had any sense. It's really just a fact of life, IMO.

As Ron White said, "...Once you've seen one woman naked, you wanna see the rest of 'em naked." Essentially don't complain about men objectifying you if you dress like you want them to.

IMO, if a female wants to be respected in a male dominated industry then she shouldn't draw unnecessary attention to her gender. Firstly, it screams I don't quite fit in and, secondly, it distracts men from what matters (and by that I mean your abilities applicable to the industry). Of course, it's also important to strive to be successful in the industry as any successful male would do.

Matthew Leverton said:

The latter, of course, because he likes to argue and would continue even if you were complete with a hijab.

A hijab!? Are you mad!? What about her feet! Huh!? HUH!? :o

Thomas Harte said:

"Hey, that girl's wearing trousers! Let's chase her and beat her up!"
"There's no point. We'll never catch her in these ridiculous billowy skirts."

;D

wearetheborg said:

See? I was right. Bamccaig is sexist and confused.

No, I'm honest. You just don't like the truth. As is typical, the women seem to want the best of both worlds. You want guys to gawk at you, but just wish those fucking guys would stop gawking at you! ::)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

bamcciag: except for all the men here don't like your "truth", either. You could say we're all females posing as males online, though, which would be a new twist on irony. Personally, I think you should just embrace the word "chauvinist".

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

If anyone wants to comment, and is willing to appear on TV, please contact me through private messages.

Ooh, pick me, pick me!

SaraJo
Member #9,828
May 2008

bamccaig,
Thank for for the kind word. I understand your view point. I tend to be crazy fem about this concept and think I should be respected just as much naked as I am clothed. I do think that women should be allowed to wear whatever they want and not expect consequences.

I was homeschooled through most of my youth, but when I went to regular school my parents sent me to religious school. Once I was in a bible class and the teacher said something in the vain of "If a girl is wearing a bikini and she gets raped it is her fault." Even now thinking about that i want to punch that ignorant F in the face.

I, for one, don't think tastefully catching a few looks is a horrible thing. There have been many times I've been left out being a woman... not invited on glof outings, go go bar trips.... I know there is nothign dignified or noble about using sexuality to get ahead... but I wont let being uptight about things leave me behind. One of those "nudge nudge wink wink" type things that sometimes its easier to overlook.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

"If a girl is wearing a bikini and she gets raped it is her fault."

Did you go to the same school as bamccaig? That is his belief as well! :o

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sara Chipps said:

Once I was in a bible class and the teacher said something in the vain of "If a girl is wearing a bikini and she gets raped it is her fault."

See my thread. Before you fly off the handle though, take the time to read through the thread, or at least read my response to BAF below.

Sara Chipps said:

Even now thinking about that i want to punch that ignorant F in the face.

Originally when you used 'F' I assumed you were censoring fuck, but now I'm not so sure since it doesn't fit quite as well... :-/ What's the 'F' for? :-/

BAF said:

Did you go to the same school as bamccaig? That is his belief as well! :o

There you go putting keystrokes in my keyboard buffer again. :-X

In the linked thread, I said:

Note that if a women gets raped wearing something like that I have no sympathy.

Just because I have no sympathy doesn't mean I'm saying she is to blame. However, one could say she provoked it. Obviously rape is rape and I don't condone it, but I also don't recommend doing anything to provoke it. Shit can happen.

Notable posts of mine from that thread: [1][2]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Either you're a very uncaring asshole, you're the one who raped her (or a serial rapist), or you think she brought it on herself if you don't have sympathy for her.

SaraJo
Member #9,828
May 2008

I'm not reading that thread.

Because if I read that thread and gut you with a steak knife and wrap my Christmas tree with your intestines I'm not saying you are to blame, but one could say you did provoke it.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Originally when you used 'F' I assumed you were censoring fuck, but now I'm not so sure since it doesn't fit quite as well...

Fuck can be, and often is, used as a noun.

Dictionary.com said:

8. Slang. a person, esp. one who is annoying or contemptible.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sara Chipps said:

Because if I read that thread and gut you with a steak knife and wrap my Christmas tree with your intestines I'm not saying you are to blame, but one could say you did provoke it.

pwnt. :-X

Perhaps the money analogy is a little less sensitive. Who has sympathy for a man "blinged up" getting robbed? Probably not many. If he was dressed more conservatively he would be much less likely to be targeted. That's essentially all I was going for. Acting a certain way just because in a perfect world it has no consequences is a dangerous way to live in the real world.

I admitted in the other thread that "...it was mostly just an offensive, controversial, and ignorant way of saying I disagree with dressing skimpy." If somebody I care about ever gets raped I will be furious and can't say what I'll do, but murder would probably cross my mind more than once. >:(

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

:-X hmmm :-X

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

SaraJo
Member #9,828
May 2008

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree with you. I believe we are all constantly responsible for our own actions. There is never an excuse to mistreat another, besides in defense of someone's safety. Never. No matter what they wear, say, or do. Now there are times where you can totally see someone's reasoning, like if a family member is hurt... but that doesn't make it ok.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

New girl++ ;D

To paraphrase the doctor of love Chris Rock, "now, ladies, just because you dress a certain way, doesn't mean you are a certain way. This is true. But you have to help us, because it is damn confusing."

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Quote:

Oh great. We now have a Feminazi on board. ::) Fun times ahead.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig , take another look at the XKCD cartoon 322 you so ironically linked to.
Kindly direct your attention to this section :

XKCD said:

You are the number one reason women are so rare on the internet. At least the parts of it you frequent.

And then note that the general consensus here is :

XKCD said:

As someone who likes nerdy girls , I do not appreciate this.

Do NOT tell women not to complain when men look up their skirts. It's called respect , learn some.

Quote:

IMO, if a female wants to be respected in a male dominated industry then she shouldn't draw unnecessary attention to her gender. Firstly, it screams I don't quite fit in and, secondly, it distracts men from what matters (and by that I mean your abilities applicable to the industry). Of course, it's also important to strive to be successful in the industry as any successful male would do.

So women should pretend to be men huh? Don't draw unnecessary attention to their gender? What does that mean? Get short haircuts and strap all their curves down flat? If a man can't do their job because there are female employees around , if I was boss , I'd fire them.

Quote:

You want guys to gawk at you, but just wish those guys would stop gawking at you!

Girls like positive attention , not foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog.

Quote:

Essentially don't complain about men objectifying you if you dress like you want them to.

Everyone likes to look good , that does not mean they want to be objectified.

Quote:

...doesn't mean I'm saying she is to blame. However, one could say she provoked it.

In your opinion that puts part of the blame on her. That's bullshit.

Quote:

I have no sympathy

If you don't have any sympathy for people who have been forcefully violated (it's not their fault in any case) , you might as well be condoning it. I personally know someone it's happened to and trust me , they're not the same anymore. When we were dating she always had to sleep away from the wall because she needed to feel in control (that's what I think anyway). She had problems with bitterness and resentment for many years after the fact. I do not appreciate your blatant ignorance and disrespect for women and ask that you kindly refrain from arguing it further.

To sum it up :

XKCD said:

Joanna , fire.

SiegeLord said:

Oh great. We now have a Feminazi on board

Hardly. All Sara did was use bamccaig's so-called line of reasoning to illustrate the fact that he was wrong.

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Time to sum up the thread....

1) A bunch of posts about objectifying women.
2) A new female member making a few posts which led to a thread war (No offense, new member, it's good to have a nice disscussion like this)
3) An advertisement which is absolutely stupid. (Offense intended)
4) A thread lock
5) ???
6) Profit?

We're about at step four.

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, its been said, but there is a difference between dressing "nice", attractively and sexily. You're free to pick which ever one you want, but make sure you know which is which ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

WTF guys (and gals!). I just read this thread and I have to say that you're all a little crazy. We all knew bamccaig was nuts but so are the rest of you. Sara is a little off balance too. I always find home schooled/religious school people to be, at least somewhat, socially 'different'. bah! enough with this thread. Close it already!

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Go to: