Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So, what's new?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
So, what's new?
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Unfortunately you can't write that you achieved Level 70 to your CV.

That's not entirely true. If you're trying to get a position in the game industry, several positions require you to be "a hardcore gamer". Although, I doubt that will help any where else. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

At the moment I'm liking the fact that I can spend 1 hour a week doing Arenas and obtain better epics than my guildies who spend 4-5 hours raiding every second day... although that is partly to do with the fact that there is only 1 DPS plate item in the whole of Kara.

Heh; half the reason my guild fell apart was because we were very Warrior heavy (I have a lot of friends who just wanted to play an Orc with an axe and smash things) and they all quit when all they did in PvE was tank and all they did in PvP was die to casters. cry cry Blizzard hates Warriors, nerf nerf nerf cry cry ;D

70 Warlock, btw. I liked being a minority class (my first 60 was a Druid, then this guy) but it seems like Warlocks are everywhere now and I can't get a group. We're like the new Rogues or something.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

RP: don't worry, me neither. I once tried playing MMORPG (Silkroad) and got bored after while (lvl 18), so I think I'm not geeky enough to play them.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Well, yeah. Something like that. But I didn't came here to talk about WoW.

Quote:

Unfortunately you can't write that you achieved Level 70 to your CV.

Um, ah. Ok. Um.
I'm not sure why you did mention this? I mean, you could also have said "Stones can't fly."
If I had spent that time watching TV, playing console, going swimming, dancing, drinking or posting here in the off-topic channel, that wouldn't have been CV material either ;)

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I'm just poking fun ;) Actually I think that your book on game developement could look good on your CV. Which reminds me to get one copy if I find it translated here. Or somewhere else in english.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Hello Spellcaster, it's nice to hear/read that you are doing well. What's new with me is I have a blog and alot of people here finally recognized that I was right, on a few different occassions (see sig) ;D

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Quote:

PvE was tank and all they did in PvP was die to casters. cry cry Blizzard hates Warriors, nerf nerf nerf cry cry ;D

Warriors have been whinging ever since the original enrage nerf - it's never affected our guild though. Our full prot MT has an alt hunter he uses for PvP so he doesn't mind being nothing but a tank. The rest of us do fine without being full prot - in fact the later bosses in Kara become vastly more difficult with 2 prot warriors, so it works fine the way it is. I've MTed most of Kara and nearly every single heroic instance with only 14 points in prot, so warriors are as they have always been: gear dependent for tanking, not spec dependent. Die by casters in PvP? - learn to use weapon-swap / spell reflect :P

Quote:

70 Warlock, btw. I liked being a minority class (my first 60 was a Druid, then this guy) but it seems like Warlocks are everywhere now and I can't get a group. We're like the new Rogues or something.

Yes, I've noticed that. I recall there being a time when warlocks were sought after like gold dust - a guild was defined by whether or not it had enough locks to get past Gar. 8-) Now they're everywhere. I think you can thank the Arcanite Reaper wielding pet for that :P

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Now this thread got derailed really fast. Is it just because the concentration of WoW players achieved critical mass? ::)

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here, I guess. A lot of people posting in OT, some new folks trying to get a game running, and those who know allegro good enough to actually code something prefer to post in the OT channel or bitch about some not really important things ;)

With the exception of Richard of course.
bows

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Well, sometimes I do feel like I'm the only one finishing writing games around here! ;)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

RP: don't worry, I'm planning to dedicate next four months of free time (if I succeed in finals) for developement, and hopefully get at least working demo.

Quote:

I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here, I guess. A lot of people posting in OT, some new folks trying to get a game running, and those who know allegro good enough to actually code something prefer to post in the OT channel or bitch about some not really important things ;)

Except *hacks and Richard's effort you're right. Unfortunatelly. :-/

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hey there SC, welcome back.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

Spellcaster said:
I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho. There's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore. Which is why I think no one has responded to one of my posts in a reallllly long time.....

Matthew said at one point in the past he wouldn't add that functionality because it would hurt the community (iirc). Guess he was right.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Talking about people returning, have anyone seen that Nonnus29 guy? He seems to have vanished...

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho

I think you are correct with that. There are still new people starting out and some experienced Allegro people who help or hinder them, but not many actively working on games and finishing them. I guess there is just too many distractions for people.. :-/

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

here's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore.

Nope, I'm not using that. Maybe it's just that syndrome, which name I can't now recall.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

We need Allegro 5!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Well, the point is, if you want to code a game which should run on multiple platforms, Allegro isn't on the list right now.

Linux people will use SDL.
Newcomers will look at PTK, Torque2D, Unity3D even Java before they will consider Allegro.

Right now allegro is mainly used by the oldtimers used to it from the old DOS days.

If you want to code a game for the current online distributed market, you're talking about Windows and OSX. On both platforms you'll need to ensure the customer has a "good feel" about the game.
The OSX port is broken right now and wasn't really competitive before.
The windows port works, but the issues with the window hooks (still no clever way to end an allegro game using the normal close button) and missing connections to the newer OS features don't make it an ideal lib for that platform either.

Maybe that explains why not so many people here actually code games?

--

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Quote:

(still no clever way to end an allegro game using the normal close button)

Heh ? what's wrong with set_close_button_callback() ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

nonnus29 said:

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho. There's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore. Which is why I think no one has responded to one of my posts in a reallllly long time...

mEmO said:

Talking about people returning, have anyone seen that Nonnus29 guy? He seems to have vanished...

R.O.F.L.! Look what you've made me do. I usually don't write R.O.F.L., not even in realtime chat.;D

Richard said:

There are still new people starting out and some experienced Allegro people who help or hinder them, but not many actively working on games and finishing them. I guess there is just too many distractions for people..:\

True, having a software development job doesn't help getting any motivation to work on private programming projects(be it games or anything else). However, I'm still working on becoming an artist, but coding?, no, can't do that 24/7.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Woo, welcome back Oh caster of the spells!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

Heh ? what's wrong with

set_close_button_callback()

IIRC there have been some issues with it, like you can't exit there directly, because it runs in a different thread.

Problem is, that the user can press this button at any time. This means you need to add a check for the flag pretty much everywhere in your code / call the checking method pretty much everywhere.

That's why I said "no clever way", instead of "no way".

--

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

If you use a single loop for everything (even the GUI), you just need the set_close_button_callback() to set a flag, and to check the flag once per loop.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

1   2   3 

Go to: