So, what's new?
spellcaster

Hiho!

It's been a while, so I wanted to ask what's new? Besides Chaos Groove, that is ;)

Dennis

Nothing new. Still every troll is being fed here.;)

spellcaster

Hm.. yeah, I should get a new sig, I guess.

Onewing
Quote:

It's been a while

Finally break out of your while loop?

Anyway, many still speak of you here. I remember taking a code snippet you posted a few months ago (don't worry, I gave ya credit). So what have you been up to.

As far as I can tell, a.cc seems to be pretty much the same since I joined a while ago. Oh and allegro 5.0...still doesn't exist.

HoHo

Welcome back!

Quote:

Oh and allegro 5.0...still doesn't exist

Yeah, but 4.3 is likely to be renamed as 4.9 ;)

le_y_mistar

hey man, remember me? hint.... y_man

also it's 4 am, g'night internets

mEmO

Holy mother of God, he lives! How's life?

OICW
Quote:

So, what's new?

Nothing to speak of. Maybe we should ask you, there has been rumours around here. Some said you got stuck in Azeroth, others said you got married, etc.

LennyLen
Quote:

others said you got married

he did. He even posted wedding photos. :)

So how's married life treating you?

HoHo

So it is

Quote:

This morning: Civil wedding
This evening: Wow wedding

;D

Dennis

I assume he was also busy writing another book about game development, which according to amazon.de is to come out in August this year.[edit]Looking at it again, it seems to be just a re-release, not an entirely new book.[/edit]

Bruce Perry

Hi ho spellcaster oh! \o/ ;D

I'm still working for the same company, trying to write games for a living (but instead ending up doing systems and libraries for the games :-X), and still participating in SpeedHacks and TINSes and then neglecting to review :-X ;D

(The company and their game shall remain nameless. I put its name into my profile on Orkut but set it visible to friends only, and a player found me by searching for it. Bastard ;D)

What are you up to?

I missed that previous thread, so

Quote:

We might make a short trip to Nottingham ;)

Honeymoon in Nottingham? :o Dear oh dear. How was it?

OICW
Quote:

he did. He even posted wedding photos.

Oops, now that should be called 'old'. However my apology for ignorance is that I was out for two months from july to august and didn't have teh internets.

Michael Faerber

Instead of making a new book about game development with Allegro, you could write a new one: "How I cured my addiction to WoW"

;)

CGamesPlay
Quote:

The company and their game shall remain nameless.

Is it still the same company that it used to be?

GullRaDriel

Welcome back spellcaster !

I hope the rope is not still too hard around your neck ;-)

Edward Sheets

Welcome back, spellcaster. :)

spellcaster
Quote:

I assume he was also busy writing another book about game development, which according to amazon.de is to come out in August this year.[edit]Looking at it again, it seems to be just a re-release, not an entirely new book.

Interesting ;)
According to my editor, they are just "thinking about it" .. hm.. I should ask for more money, if they already advertise on amazon, heh.

Quote:

Instead of making a new book about game development with Allegro, you could write a new one: "How I cured my addiction to WoW"

Well, basically, Blizzard did cure me. I basically got bored and slightly frustrated. My wife is still enjoying WoW, though.

Quote:

Honeymoon in Nottingham?

That never happened. It's still on our list of things we really want to do, though.

What have I done in the mean time? Not much to be honest. We moved a couple of kilometers into a bigger apartment, instead of a desk in our living room I do now have my own (but small) office:

{"name":"office.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c2fba1f4c87214daf57b83ccfc64326.png","w":800,"h":200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/c\/9c2fba1f4c87214daf57b83ccfc64326"}office.png

I do have some ideas for games in my mind, and after quitting WoW I do finally have the time to actually code something again. So chances are not bad that I might post some questions or code snippets in the near future.

Andrei Ellman

Welcome back Spelly!

We've missed you in your abscensce. As you can see from this thread (which BTW is still open), many of us have been wondering where you've been. It's good to have you back.

AE.

james_lohr
Quote:

and after quitting WoW I do finally have the time to actually code something again

There's no such thing as quitting; only extended periods of offline. :P

23yrold3yrold
Quote:

I do have some ideas for games in my mind, and after quitting WoW I do finally have the time to actually code something again. So chances are not bad that I might post some questions or code snippets in the near future.

Sounds like you're where I was a month or so ago. I quit WoW for a while after spending time at 60, then went raiding MC and BWL, then guild fell apart, then played with friends to gear up for BC, then quit until it came out, then had fun in Outlands, then everyone got bored at 70 and left and I have no reason to play anymore. :P So I've been in and out over the last few years, pretty much out for good now. All my spare time is going into my current projects, and coming here for advice/amusement.

PS: Nice to see you back.

PPS: Link your armory. ;)

spellcaster

Not quite. I left a nicely working raid, because spending my time either raiding, farming for mats to raid or doing some pvp to get some items I could use for the raid got boring.

I even tried to start playing again... but I just felt bored.

My armory entry is not available because I haven't been in the game for a while, sorry. But I had a epic/blue equipped shadow priest (70). The other chars never made it beyond 65 (hunter, warlock, rogue).

And since the next bliz game is SC and not Diablo, there's no chance of getting addicted again in the near future. I also kinda like the fact that I know have time. It's a pretty nice thing if you have been raiding 5 days a week for 1.5 years.

Richard Phipps

Young Spellcaster.. You have much to do to atone for your geeky level 70.

OICW

Unfortunately you can't write that you achieved Level 70 to your CV. :)

james_lohr
Quote:

It's a pretty nice thing if you have been raiding 5 days a week for 1.5 years.

At the moment I'm liking the fact that I can spend 1 hour a week doing Arenas and obtain better epics than my guildies who spend 4-5 hours raiding every second day... although that is partly to do with the fact that there is only 1 DPS plate item in the whole of Kara. I loved heroic instances though - best thing about TBC in my opinion, but I've now got every single item I need from them (apart from maybe one or two epic gems), so I've not got much incentive to do them :(

Onewing
Quote:

Unfortunately you can't write that you achieved Level 70 to your CV.

That's not entirely true. If you're trying to get a position in the game industry, several positions require you to be "a hardcore gamer". Although, I doubt that will help any where else. ;D

23yrold3yrold
Quote:

At the moment I'm liking the fact that I can spend 1 hour a week doing Arenas and obtain better epics than my guildies who spend 4-5 hours raiding every second day... although that is partly to do with the fact that there is only 1 DPS plate item in the whole of Kara.

Heh; half the reason my guild fell apart was because we were very Warrior heavy (I have a lot of friends who just wanted to play an Orc with an axe and smash things) and they all quit when all they did in PvE was tank and all they did in PvP was die to casters. cry cry Blizzard hates Warriors, nerf nerf nerf cry cry ;D

70 Warlock, btw. I liked being a minority class (my first 60 was a Druid, then this guy) but it seems like Warlocks are everywhere now and I can't get a group. We're like the new Rogues or something.

Richard Phipps

Begeezeus. I don't understand geeks. :(

OICW

RP: don't worry, me neither. I once tried playing MMORPG (Silkroad) and got bored after while (lvl 18), so I think I'm not geeky enough to play them.

spellcaster

Well, yeah. Something like that. But I didn't came here to talk about WoW.

Quote:

Unfortunately you can't write that you achieved Level 70 to your CV.

Um, ah. Ok. Um.
I'm not sure why you did mention this? I mean, you could also have said "Stones can't fly."
If I had spent that time watching TV, playing console, going swimming, dancing, drinking or posting here in the off-topic channel, that wouldn't have been CV material either ;)

OICW

I'm just poking fun ;) Actually I think that your book on game developement could look good on your CV. Which reminds me to get one copy if I find it translated here. Or somewhere else in english.

nonnus29

Hello Spellcaster, it's nice to hear/read that you are doing well. What's new with me is I have a blog and alot of people here finally recognized that I was right, on a few different occassions (see sig) ;D

james_lohr
Quote:

PvE was tank and all they did in PvP was die to casters. cry cry Blizzard hates Warriors, nerf nerf nerf cry cry ;D

Warriors have been whinging ever since the original enrage nerf - it's never affected our guild though. Our full prot MT has an alt hunter he uses for PvP so he doesn't mind being nothing but a tank. The rest of us do fine without being full prot - in fact the later bosses in Kara become vastly more difficult with 2 prot warriors, so it works fine the way it is. I've MTed most of Kara and nearly every single heroic instance with only 14 points in prot, so warriors are as they have always been: gear dependent for tanking, not spec dependent. Die by casters in PvP? - learn to use weapon-swap / spell reflect :P

Quote:

70 Warlock, btw. I liked being a minority class (my first 60 was a Druid, then this guy) but it seems like Warlocks are everywhere now and I can't get a group. We're like the new Rogues or something.

Yes, I've noticed that. I recall there being a time when warlocks were sought after like gold dust - a guild was defined by whether or not it had enough locks to get past Gar. 8-) Now they're everywhere. I think you can thank the Arcanite Reaper wielding pet for that :P

OICW

Now this thread got derailed really fast. Is it just because the concentration of WoW players achieved critical mass? ::)

spellcaster

I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here, I guess. A lot of people posting in OT, some new folks trying to get a game running, and those who know allegro good enough to actually code something prefer to post in the OT channel or bitch about some not really important things ;)

With the exception of Richard of course.
bows

Richard Phipps

Well, sometimes I do feel like I'm the only one finishing writing games around here! ;)

OICW

RP: don't worry, I'm planning to dedicate next four months of free time (if I succeed in finals) for developement, and hopefully get at least working demo.

Quote:

I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here, I guess. A lot of people posting in OT, some new folks trying to get a game running, and those who know allegro good enough to actually code something prefer to post in the OT channel or bitch about some not really important things ;)

Except *hacks and Richard's effort you're right. Unfortunatelly. :-/

ReyBrujo

Hey there SC, welcome back.

nonnus29
Quote:

Spellcaster said:
I guess it's mainly because there wasn't much going on here

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho. There's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore. Which is why I think no one has responded to one of my posts in a reallllly long time.....

Matthew said at one point in the past he wouldn't add that functionality because it would hurt the community (iirc). Guess he was right.

mEmO

Talking about people returning, have anyone seen that Nonnus29 guy? He seems to have vanished...

Richard Phipps

Quote:

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho

I think you are correct with that. There are still new people starting out and some experienced Allegro people who help or hinder them, but not many actively working on games and finishing them. I guess there is just too many distractions for people.. :-/

OICW
Quote:

here's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore.

Nope, I'm not using that. Maybe it's just that syndrome, which name I can't now recall.

ReyBrujo

We need Allegro 5!

spellcaster

Well, the point is, if you want to code a game which should run on multiple platforms, Allegro isn't on the list right now.

Linux people will use SDL.
Newcomers will look at PTK, Torque2D, Unity3D even Java before they will consider Allegro.

Right now allegro is mainly used by the oldtimers used to it from the old DOS days.

If you want to code a game for the current online distributed market, you're talking about Windows and OSX. On both platforms you'll need to ensure the customer has a "good feel" about the game.
The OSX port is broken right now and wasn't really competitive before.
The windows port works, but the issues with the window hooks (still no clever way to end an allegro game using the normal close button) and missing connections to the newer OS features don't make it an ideal lib for that platform either.

Maybe that explains why not so many people here actually code games?

SonShadowCat

Welcome Back.

GullRaDriel
Quote:

(still no clever way to end an allegro game using the normal close button)

Heh ? what's wrong with set_close_button_callback() ?

Dennis
nonnus29 said:

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho. There's something else new about a.cc; there's a css script around that allows users to select members to ignore. Which is why I think no one has responded to one of my posts in a reallllly long time...

mEmO said:

Talking about people returning, have anyone seen that Nonnus29 guy? He seems to have vanished...

R.O.F.L.! Look what you've made me do. I usually don't write R.O.F.L., not even in realtime chat.;D

Richard said:

There are still new people starting out and some experienced Allegro people who help or hinder them, but not many actively working on games and finishing them. I guess there is just too many distractions for people..:\

True, having a software development job doesn't help getting any motivation to work on private programming projects(be it games or anything else). However, I'm still working on becoming an artist, but coding?, no, can't do that 24/7.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Woo, welcome back Oh caster of the spells!

spellcaster
Quote:

Heh ? what's wrong with

set_close_button_callback()

IIRC there have been some issues with it, like you can't exit there directly, because it runs in a different thread.

Problem is, that the user can press this button at any time. This means you need to add a check for the flag pretty much everywhere in your code / call the checking method pretty much everywhere.

That's why I said "no clever way", instead of "no way".

Andrei Ellman

If you use a single loop for everything (even the GUI), you just need the set_close_button_callback() to set a flag, and to check the flag once per loop.

AE.

HoHo

What about something like

global int gamestate=PLAYING;

void exitCallback(){
    gamestate=EXIT;
}

main{
  init();
  while (gamestate==PLAYING){
     doStuff();
  }
  cleanup();
}

I haven't really used the callback function, though and this might not work. It surely won't work if your gameloop has some problems.

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

Quote:

A.cc hasn't been a game development or allegro site in a long time imho

I think you are correct with that. There are still new people starting out and some experienced Allegro people who help or hinder them, but not many actively working on games and finishing them. I guess there is just too many distractions for people.. :-/

Memory is a selective thing. People always are talking about the "good old days." If anything is different, it's because the old timers tend to stick around and spend a bunch of time arguing in off topic discussions. So the noise keeps on increasing, while the signal stays the same. It gives the illusion that less is getting done.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592171

The number of games added to the Depot has decreased over the years, but that's mostly due to me rejecting all the vaporware games with no downloads. The number of completed games per month hasn't dropped off at all. January was the third highest month ever. Last August was the second highest month.

Allegro has always been most popular with DOS junkies and newbies. Obviously the former are finally dieing off, but the latter will keep coming. However, as always, as people get used to creating crappy games with Allegro, they tend to either quit (because they realize they suck) or move on to more advanced programming.

23yrold3yrold
Quote:

Begeezeus. I don't understand geeks. :(

Here you go.

Quote:

A lot of people posting in OT, some new folks trying to get a game running, and those who know allegro good enough to actually code something prefer to post in the OT channel or bitch about some not really important things ;)

Meh; I just left the site entirely during times of WoW (as evidenced by my post graph). With my return to productivity has come my return to (relatively) heavy posting.

Onewing
spellcaster
Quote:

If you use a single loop for everything (even the GUI), you just need the set_close_button_callback() to set a flag, and to check the flag once per loop

Yes. Exactly. I'll keep the game, the menu and intro, the options, the credits, the highscores (and I'm pretty sure we can come up with even more parts) in one main loop. I'm pretty sure this will make the program easily maintainable and less error prone.

Best solution right now would be to create a state machine framework with the check in the base class. Which adds problems on its own (esp. if you don't want to use c++ ;)).

If you just want to throw a game together, I found that having different procedures for all the different parts works out best. But then you have to remember to handle the close button.

Well, actually, even forcing the user to remember to write your own close button procedure isn't quite clever. Why not installing a default procedure setting a global variable (like al_window_close_requested). Then we have reduced the overhead from "writing and installing the procedure, then checking the flag" down to "checking the flag".

Normally an allegro game runs fine, but the "little things" annoy the user. Like problems when tabbing in and out of an allegro app. Like choppy mouse movement or too fast / too slow mouse movement after setting a different display mode.

If you're writing a mouse controlled game, having to worry about the mouse at all (besides checking position of the pointer and state of the buttons) is a bad thing, heh.

On the other hand, these "problems" are pretty irrelevant if you just want to code a game "just for fun".

Ceagon Xylas
Quote:

The expansion came out. ;)

Matt Smith
Quote:

the "little things" annoy the user.

That's a fact. The main advantage of having a standard framework isn't so much that it saves you implementing stuff. The advantage is that these little things are done consistently and well.

miran
Quote:

Best solution right now would be to create a state machine framework with the check in the base class. Which adds problems on its own (esp. if you don't want to use c++ ;))

I coded this in plain C for the new official demo game and it turned out to be relatively clean and elegant. I'm not sure what happened to that game and if it will ever actually be inlcuded with an Allegro release though.

Also I think there's some talk (I don't follow the development of the new Allegro) of some sort of an event system in Allegro or something. So things definately are changing...

GullRaDriel

Yeah, and now that spellcaster is back to contribute to allegro development, things are quickly going to change ! ;D

spellcaster

As said, I'll do my best to help. But I must admit that I'm not that good when it comes to the inner workings of allegro. I'm more the guy who writes some stuff working on top of it.

After reading my post again it sounds to negative. I really like Allegro. It's neat to write small games with it. I'm just not sure how well it can compete with the other libs out there.

This also implies for me, that people actually wanting to write games (and maybe earn a buck or two with it) might choose a different lib. And this might explain why game coding isn't a hot topic here.

GullRaDriel

My respects to M. SpellCaster for taking it so nice. thumb up

My post was looking sarcastic after all, and I must admit that I share his point of view for the most parts.

I myself am not that good when it comes to the inner workings of allegro. :-/

But Hey ! If we all try our best, Allegro 5 will for sure be used everywhere :-)

:D

Sporus

Mr spellcaster! Paragon of awe from tides of yore! :o

If only Mr Korval came back too we'd see more intricately wrought flames than what the current wars on emoism have to offer. ;)

Richard Phipps

I still remember their dice rolling argument that seemed to go on for 10+ pages.. :-X

spellcaster

Funny ;) I don't.

gnolam

Watch it - you're heading dangerously close to "suggesting everything isn't perfect with the dev process" territory there. There be Path of Much Flaming. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Yeah no kidding. Once someone starts complaining and does absolutely nothing else besides that, even when suggestions of what need done are made by the devs (like documentation), multiple times, Yeah, the devs get a little annoyed.

spellcaster

Well, once I feel more confident with allegro again, I'll try to help a bit. But I guess it'll be small stuff, like writing an example or two.

I might also be of help on the OS X front (Currently playing around a bit with OS X app development). We'll see.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Feel free to join [AD] and #allegro and ask all the questions you like :)

Elias and I hang out in #allegro often enough, Evert and Peter only occasionally pop on, but all are on [AD] so that might be the best bet.

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

But I guess it'll be small stuff, like writing an example or two.

That's more than what most people are willing to contribute.

And if you're serious about OS X, I don't think there's an active developer for it now that Peter Hull has taken off.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Richard Phipps

Oh? Where has Peter gone?

Hard Rock

Wow, he's still alive!

I saw a post a little bit down before I saw this thread and I was wondering why there wasn't a thread active with an explanation. Apparently there is.

Steve Terry

Wow welcome back Spelly :)

Thread #591474. Printed from Allegro.cc