Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Cosmic Invaders -- WIP demo

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cosmic Invaders -- WIP demo
le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

this game has tons of potential for people who like games but dont want to be constantly clicking around

Add some creative levels and you've got a winner here.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

The game runs.. but i don't think it should act like this (attachment for screenshots). i can't beat wave 2..

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

Bob said:

You don't say?

Bob, I can't stalk you 24 hours a day, you know. A post is bound to slip through every so often... sheesh!

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Thanks. I feel so much safer now.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

(attachment for screenshots)

Again, I see nothing wrong with the screenshot. Please clarify what you mean.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

sorry, i thought it was a space invaders clone.. was kinda confused when i had nothing to shoot with... but now i understand the game play, and i like it. reminds me of td.. great work, so far. :)

ReyBrujo
January 2001

No new version yet? Game won't fix itself, as far as I know :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Here you go. I think the bug has been fixed, and you can also build Spark Towers now (although I think their range is a bit too short... comment on that!). :D

... Matthew, if you're reading this, there's a bug with attachments. The link to the file I just attached comes out as "http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/", which probably isn't correct, right?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Cool, working now. The Spark tower hasn't got the opportunity to test itself, as it is surrounded by lasers and missiles :P

(Edited: Oh, there... too short, and too slow).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I would suggest increasing the Spark towers range and speed as well, too make it worth the cost. I beat 11 waves, and missed the last invader on wave 12, who took away the last of my health. Better Spark Towers would really help. :)

BTW, awesome game, sound will make it even better. Is it in the Depot yet? :D

[EDIT]
Spark towers are underpowered. Too short range, too slow firing, and a little too low damage. :P

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Had 2 problems: Somehow (dunno how still) I started a game, and could not build anything. Hovering the mouse above the icons would not select anything, and I had the $600. Also, just after I finished the first wave with a missile and two lasers, the game crashed. Will need a debug build to check that out (that is, if I can reproduce it again).

CosmicInvaders. caused an Access Violation at location 0514a464 Reading from location 05258000.

Registers:
eax=00000000 ebx=0514a008 ecx=0047b060 edx=0047b060 esi=05258000 edi=050fd458
eip=0514a464 esp=0022fa66 ebp=0022fa78 iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=0038  gs=0000             efl=00200202

Call stack:
0514A464

By the way, I really liked the fact that, if the target of a missile is destroyed by another weapon, it will turn around and target another instead of just exploding.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I tried your new version, spark tower is almost useless, but it looks so cool!
Attached screenshot, as I said, it would be nice if you add a working reduce CPU usage option.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Paul is right, I get 50% CPU usage (HT). Yielding is exactly the contrary you want here, X-G, you want to rest.

Level 12, 11 missiles and 3 lasers.

By the way, when I lose, if I choose "No", the game does not reset. :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I like how people keep restating the obvious, such as that choosing "no" doesn't restart the game. That's not what it asks you about, people. :P (And there will be an option that makes more sense there later on.)

Anyway, attached is another debug build -- see if that gives us any insight.

Oh, and spark towers will be rebalanced; both made faster and with increased range. Once I implement upgrades, they'll be even better; chain lightning ftw!

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Anyway, attached is another debug build

Nope.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Haven't been able to reproduce it yet. The tower's range is fine, but you should make them faster, and start firing as soon as you drop them on ground, so that you can replace whatever you have with towers if the waves come too near.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Gah, I fail. Trying again.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Nice game, It's going to be fun when finished. Wave 12 is as far as I can get without dying.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Same here. Adding an upgrade system for the structures (more damage, faster firing, etc.) could be really neat, if you weren't already planning on that. :)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Sometimes I really get the feeling none of you even read the first post. :P

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Kikaru said:

Adding an upgrade system for the structures (more damage, faster firing, etc.) could be really neat, if you weren't already planning on that.

X-G's first post said:

It's still work in progress. Thus, there are planned features not yet in the game, such as the ability to upgrade towers once placed, more types of towers, more enemy types, and boss waves.

edit:

Quote:

Sometimes I really get the feeling none of you even read the first post.

:P

Skax459
Member #8,290
February 2007

I can't run it at all. It flashes then exits.
Its all in the original folder.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Debug build doesn't help. Maybe you could include the pdb and/or the source?

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Sorry, didn't see that part. I didn't read much below the download, so I missed it. :-/

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

The groundwork is there, nice graphics. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop actual gameplay with more towers, enemy types and stuff.

Anyway, the spark towers seem almost useless now. By the time they're actually in range, you are usually fried, and the fact that they fire only once in a long while doesn't help them.

Got to level 12, 6 missiles on the sides, and all lasers in the middle.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Go to: