Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Year resolutions for 2007 (list'em)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Year resolutions for 2007 (list'em)
kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

I thought a bit about if I wanted to keep them to myself or not. And I've decided that it might push me a bit if I am open about them. It can be interesting to see what you've thought about doing, perhaps it might even inspire me to add something to the list.

My current list of things I should do are:

• Finish my studies at the latest during the beginning of the fall 2007. I'm going for 200 points (which is equal to five years of full time studies) instead of 160 points which my masters really require. I'm behind at the moment due to different things, like eye problems (I've had surgery and I'll need it again now).

• Get in better shape. At the moment I'm a bit over weight. I'm 177cm and I weigh in at 92kg after the holidays. I would like to weigh around 80 kg. It's entirely possible, I've just been lazy but the negative consequences aren't worth it.

• Create three projects I've been thinking about for a long time. [1] A blog system with some odd features (I want the content to be in XML and transformed into XHTML, LaTeX and plain text). I got some work done here mostly in the learning department but also some parsing/transformation. I will use PHP5 for this one. [2] An application to handle regular languages and automata. No work done yet except for getting the theory done and having a rough requirement specification. This one will be created in Java and I'm leaning towards SWT for the GUI. [3] A Shoot'em Up. Not work at all done, excepting thinking that it would be cool if the enemies were controlled by Lua scripts so that I can make them behave any way I want to. I want to use OpenGL but I'm not sure I'll use AllegroGL. Maybe.

• If I have some time over I would like to create a puzzle book and publish it through Lulu.com. This one isn't a promise though, it's something I find appealing at the moment and I'll most likely change my mind.

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Lulu is fantastic, for the record.

Here are mine:

• Gain weight. Stop being a skinny nerd for sake of myself and girlfriend. Instead, become a relatively plump nerd.

• Get my drivers license. In the event that I become too fat to walk anywhere.

• Start swimming regularly.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

OBLIGATORY

1280x960

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Quote:

OBLIGATORY

1280x960

You've lost me :-X!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

- I'm working freelance as a programmer/consultant. I want to stay that way.

- Finish up some of my games. Duh.

- Relax more.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

This next year, I do have some goals and changes in my life planned. Usually, I have a few scatterbrained resolutions that don't pan out because I don't focus on them, so perhaps writing them down (as in this post) will aid in completing them for once. 2005 and 2006 have really gotten me off my track as far as where I wanted to be in life.

• Lose weight. I need to be ten times more serious about this, because this same item appeared last year. I use to be physically fit, but now I'm a blob.

• Study Japanese. Somewhat vague, but it needs to be near the top of my list. I really would like to be fluent in three years from now.

• Get a job in the game industry. Many say it's not what I want, but I'll regret it for forever if I don't ever make it in. Since May 15th (the day I graduated), I've been planning on starting my job search on January 1st, 2007. I'm nervous, because I have no idea how to get in or if I will. :-[

• Improve my web-skillz. I have no training in web design or anything else internet-related, but somehow I've managed to be the webmaster of my university club site and a programmer for FFXI stratics website. I'd really like to be of use to those sites. ;D

• Step into 3D (programming, that is). 2D has been fun, but I can't imagine I'll ever get anywhere with it. :-/

• Finish some top-notch freeware games. Since I graduated (not including this past Fall when I was taking a Japanese class), I've had more time to focus on game projects and even finished up a puzzle game called Toggles. Now, I'd like to take some of my bigger ideas and try to produce them. One is the Invictis game I've mentioned off-handedly; two is a RPG that's been bouncing in my head.

That's a lot of stuff to do, but I'm nearing 25 and it's time to get my life in order! Good luck, me! ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

• Stay with Cessna and move up positions if possible.

• Get friggin laid sometime soon ;D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

• Stay with Cessna and move up positions if possible.

* Get friggin laid sometime soon ;D

Those two go together. Oh wait, you're not a woman.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I already thought about starting a thread like this myself, so here you are, ordered by priority(highest first):

• become 26 years old

• listen to Heavy Metal every day

• practice drawing and/or pixelling every day

• spend more time improving my skills, waste less time on IRC

• no more fastfood

• no more cheap over-sugar-ized icetea

• start eating fruit for breakfast (bananas, apples, ...)

• burn the 8kg of fat that I gained since I started my job in august

spork222
Member #7,263
May 2006

2 big ones for me, as well as several others. Not kidding about this, either.

• Improve on my 3d rendering skills. I have some, but the best I can do now is a dice. :P

• Get a girlfriend. :-[

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Reach nirvana. Failing that, have fun.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

For those who want to improve their 3D rendering skills you can check out the objloader link in my sig.

[edit]
Here's the link: http://www.orbitalmindsoft.com/objloader.html
[/edit]

john wells
Member #8,052
November 2006

1. Create my first 3D programming,

2. Finished Frak, thank god.

3. Learn how to do my Rubic Cube again.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

1. Start a new religion.
2. Live forever.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Sometime in the early '70's I resolved to never make more New Years Resolutions. And I've kept it!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

1. Think of a better New Years Resolution for next year.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Ban one member per day.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

1) Get a life.
2) Get a girlfriend.
3) PROFIT!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

1) Get a life.
2) Get a girlfriend.
3) PROFIT

You're going to pimp your girlfriend? How much?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Steady the course ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

23yrold3yrold said:

Steady the course ...

Bush said:

Stay the course.

;)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

1. Win millions.
2. Reach enlightenment.
3. Get to 3000 posts. :P

-R

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Oh; there's a good one. 30,000 posts!

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Lets see if you can pull off 27 posts a day for 365 days ;)

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Not a problem. Doing it without getting banned will be the trick ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: