Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Year resolutions for 2007 (list'em)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Year resolutions for 2007 (list'em)
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

when you and her both know it's B.S. In other words, you have to dumb YOURSELVES down, express interest in what B. Spears and her ilk are up to.

Um, the hormones do that for you, if you're actually in love.

Quote:

I noticed that nerds get all defensive around other people and feel the need to go out of their way to show off their intelligence.

After years of abuse from peers and family, why wouldn't we? Gotta have something to brag about ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

I, on the other hand, have a very fine fine fine girlfriend. 8-)

Got a pic of you and your gf then? :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Got a pic of you and your gf then? :)

Preferably nude. ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Tomasu said:

Um, the hormones do that for you, if you're actually in love.

Do they? How nice of them.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

weatherborg said:

You all don't have girlfriends because you come off as pompous and obnoxious. I noticed that nerds get all defensive around other people and feel the need to go out of their way to show off their intelligence. So yeah, it's not like your intelligence naturally shines through... Rubbing it in people's faces just doesn't work guys!

She's got a point there. Nerds - although intelligent - are usually shy and insecure. They are insecure because they are worried that the object of their affections will not notice their intelligence because they are shy and end up becoming someone else's girlfriend instead.

There's a saying: If all you have is a hammer, all problems look like nails. Because of the lack of social skills, nerds think the only way they can get girls to notice them is to show off their intelligence. Because of their insecurity, they think that either there won't be an opportunity, or the girls might forget that they are inteligent, so they end up forcing opportunities to appear out of nowhere. From the nerds point of view, they think that if the girl of their affections goes out with someone else, at least they will feel like they tried their best. However, to the girls, this comes accross as insecurity at the best, and obnoxious arrogance at worst.

Nerds should just learn to be comfortable with themselves - this is a pre-requisite for being comfortable with others. Opportunities do crop up from time to time - just don't force them to appear. Just be comfortable with who you are, and then, you will graduate from being a nerd to being a geek.

Arthur Kalliokoski said:

express interest in what B. Spears and her ilk are up to.

Not wearing underwear?

Bruce Perry said:

3. Leave such girls to Beckham and go for someone you can actually have an interesting conversation with.

Girls you can actually have an interesting conversation with do exist - you gotta find 'em! ;)

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Medium success so far:

I said:

• become 26 years old

• listen to Heavy Metal every day

• practice drawing and/or pixelling every day

• spend more time improving my skills, waste less time on IRC

• no more fastfood

• no more cheap over-sugar-ized icetea

• start eating fruit for breakfast (bananas, apples, ...)

</li>
Current status:

• (work in progress) become 26 years old

• (success) listen to Heavy Metal every day

• (success) practice drawing and/or pixelling every day

• (success) spend more time improving my skills, waste less time on IRC

• (failed) no more fastfood

• (accidentally had one glass on tuesday) no more cheap over-sugar-ized icetea

• (not yet started) start eating fruit for breakfast (bananas, apples, ...)

</li>

Everbody join the fun of posting your status reports here, maybe it will help to finish what you planned.:)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

• Lose weight. Started dieting and working out. We'll see how it goes...

• Study Japanese. Read a little out of my "Japanese for Dummies" book.

• Get a job in the game industry. Started building a list of hopeful references for resume

• Improve my web-skillz. Thinking about doing a small website for the Allegro '06 Awards thread I posted. Best way to learn is to just jump into the deep end. :)

• Step into 3D (programming, that is). TBD

• Finish some top-notch freeware games. TBD

• One that I forgot to mention - Improve religious standards (because I've been slacking lately...a lot) Trying to revive my nightly prayers

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Well some of my main goals for 2007:

• Clean room/desk and keep it clean. Began thinking about cleaning up

• Reorganize all of the files on my computer and keep them organized neatly. Began working on reorganizing music

• Try out a Linux Install with XGL and see if I can replace Windows with it for the short term. Began thinking about Linux programs

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

They are insecure because they are worried that the object of their affections will not notice their intelligence because they are shy and end up becoming someone else's girlfriend instead.

What, nerds go to jail? ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Sporus
Member #3,815
August 2003

Andrei Ellman said:

Nerds should just learn to be comfortable with themselves - this is a pre-requisite for being comfortable with others.

I can vouch for that. I've spent most of my life in experimental derivation of this rule. :-/

Hark ye, nerddom, to his wisdom!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I stopped making new year resolutions a while back. I tend to forget them by 2 Januari...
Anyway

many people said:

get a girlfriend

Good luck; if you're attitude is "damnit, I want a girlfriend already" it's not going to happen. Girls have an extra sense for detecting guys who are desperate for a girlfriend (actually, it's called reading body language). My advise: invest in normal friendships with girls (that is, with space). You may find you end up with a girlfriend (without space) anyway and if you don't it'll give you an opportunity to get more comfortable and secure around girls (should you need that).
That said, I'd like to meet someone I could fall in love with and would like to have a relationship with again... it's been a while. Last relationship suffered from me being her social life, which wasn't a good basis for it.
Anyway, invest in being aware of your own body language and interpreting that of others. Can't hurt to be aware of it, and you may learn a useful thing or two.

Diana said:

You all don't have girlfriends because you come off as pompous and obnoxious.

Can't say for everyone else, you've clearly not met me. :P

Quote:

Nerds should just learn to be comfortable with themselves - this is a pre-requisite for being comfortable with others.

Words of wisdom.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Diana said:

obnoxious

What are you on? Pot?

Diana said:

I, on the other hand, have a very fine fine fine girlfriend. 8-)

Yes, that's the kettle.

;D;D:P

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

wearetheborg said:

You all ... come off as pompous and obnoxious.

Psychological projection

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Girls are so impressed when nerds reference an encyclopedia!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeah, GameCreator totally walked into that one. :)

Diana said:

I noticed that nerds get all defensive around other people and feel the need to go out of their way to show off their intelligence.

;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Well, one of the things I've noticed is that Allegroites have a very low ability to detect humour, escpecially if it's subtle. Even sarcasm, and even when it's very blunt indeed. So I'm just letting you know, when you say "Girls are so impressed when nerds reference an encyclopedia!", your statement may have unintended consequences.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

So I'm just letting you know, when you say "Girls are so impressed when nerds reference an encyclopedia!", your statement may have unintended consequences.

Quickly returns wife's new encyclopedia

------------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Well, one of the things I've noticed is that Allegroites have a very low ability to detect humour, escpecially if it's subtle. Even sarcasm, and even when it's very blunt indeed. So I'm just letting you know, when you say "Girls are so impressed when nerds reference an encyclopedia!", your statement may have unintended consequences.

Well, it's sometimes difficult to detect sarcasm in plain text anyway. I'm sure we're all much less dense IRL.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

your statement may have unintended consequences.

I wouldn't say those consequences would be unintended... ;D

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

wearetheborg said:

You all don't have girlfriends because you come off as pompous and obnoxious. I noticed that nerds get all defensive around other people and feel the need to go out of their way to show off their intelligence. So yeah, it's not like your intelligence naturally shines through... Rubbing it in people's faces just doesn't work guys!

I, on the other hand, have a very fine fine fine girlfriend.

Nerds don't get defensive >:(;). It's an unfortunate misconception held by the clueless. Nerds are particular about accuracies, and will justifiably correct someone, even on small details (you are missing a number of commas in your last line, BTW).

WRT programming, most of society are a bunch of script bunnies. It's not the nerd's fault they're gifted with an ability to talk to computers, have an average IQ of 150 and a good number of them could generate a test worthy of Mensa. As intelligence isn't something visual, it's also something that's not obvious. Therefore nerds have to parade it (the phrase showing off has such negative connotations) to allude others of their intellectual superiority. Learn to live with it :P.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Nerds are particular about accuracies, and will justifiably correct someone, even on small details

I believe the word "accurate" would have been more accurate than "accuracies." :P

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Quote:

Nerds are particular about accuracies, and will justifiably correct someone, even on small details

I believe the word "accurate" would have been more accurate than "accuracies."

You mean "accuracy"? :P;D

[edit]
And one wonders why I don't have a gf? 8-)
[/edit]

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

You mean "accuracy"?

D'oh!

The funny part is, I'd originally typed "accurace" instaed of "accuracy," and I was attempting tot correct it.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

"accurace" instaed of "accuracy,"

You need to quit posting now. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Huh, the first letters of accuracy are acc. acc == a.cc? Epiphany!

I need to get laid...

------------

Go to: