Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » GP2X vs NDS

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
GP2X vs NDS
nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

I call fucking shenanigans. It would actually be cheaper if I lived outside Europe.

Now are you finally starting to get it? ;)

G.Linobi
Member #8,182
January 2007

it's easy my friend:

if you are a regular videogame player, choose a NDS or a PSP
but if you are videogames adict AND a DEVELOPER, then choose the GP2X

the GP2X is not closed software like the PSP, and much more powerfull than the
NDS

"An elegant console, for a more civilized age" ;)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It may have a better CPU, but the NDS is more portable, cooler looking, and has dual (with touch) screens. Plus it has wifi. All good points, at least for me.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

I've just started the second CD of Final Fantasy VII in the train today, when going to work.
And that is something priceless than neither the GP2X or the NDS can afford ;D

BTW, how is the SNES, NeoGeo and N64 performing on the DS ? An "overclocked" (via software) PSP at 333Mhz has already some trouble with the emulation speed, so how does a 66Mhz perform ?

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

66Mhz? A DS is 16Mhz (by 2 cpu) This can be overclocked to 32Mhz with a wee blob o' solder. I would not expect to emulate anything more than an Atari 2600 or Vic 20 with this.

A gp2x has 2x 200, 240, or 266Mhz cpus. AFAIK, the SNES emulation is near perfect (and has been since the 1 cpu 120Mhz gp32) but the newer platforms would present more of a challenge. The 2nd cpu probably helps a lot for emulating sound chips etc.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Wikipedia said:

CPUs: Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively, with 4 MB of main memory which requires 1.65 volts.

From Wikipedia. It is basically a weak N64 (Nintendo keeps handheld gaming one generation behind home consoles). I would say it could emulate NES and Master System games without problem.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It will also handle some SNES games I hear. I wonder if a emulator coded and optimized for the DS instead of the GBA hardware would fare better?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

AFAIK, the SNES emulation is near perfect (and has been since the 1 cpu 120Mhz gp32) but the newer platforms would present more of a challenge.

I have also played Metal Slug (which is a NeoGeo game) on the GP2X, and didn't notice any major differences in framerate from the arcade. It was quite enjoyable.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Can the DS run some older Mame roms?

1   2   3 

Go to: