Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » GP2X vs NDS

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
GP2X vs NDS
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Basically... should I get a GP2X or a Nintendo DS? I'm looking for opinions on either system.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

NDS. It's got Mario.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

GP2X can emulate Mario. ;D

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

That's illegal!

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

NDS has supercard! Supercard wins, plus I don't buy games. ::)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

GP2x is Linux based, free homebrew and free games.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Also, you can help with porting allegro over to NDS with me and MattyMat. :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Is NDS homebrew capable?

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Here is some sites to get you in the 411.

click1
click2
click3
click4

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

NDS for teh win!

spork222
Member #7,263
May 2006

GP2X. It's actually designed to do homebrew, and it has a better processor. While the DS is cheaper, after you buy the system and a supercard, it's almost the same price.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Hmmm, the libnds looks pretty complete. I think it comes down too, does the gp2x have built in 3d hardware or will 3d gfx have to be done in software? For this reason I'd choose the nds to homebrew on.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Get the GP2X if you want to play around, but get a DS if you want to play games.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I agree with Sirocco. I am considering buying a GP2X to mess around, but if you want games, NDS is your best bet.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I had no idea the NDS was hacked up that much already. I think I'll go ahead and grab a NDS. Where do I get a supercard though?

The GP2X looks nice, but it doesn't have hardware 2d, and it doesn't have a FPU, so everything feasibly done has to be done in floating point. Not to mention the DS is cooler. ;)

Now.. will the DS play movies and such?

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

You can get a SuperCard from here: http://www.realhotstuff.com/

That's where I got mine.

There's supposed to be a movie player for the DS, but I've never used it. I heard M3 carts have it built in.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Quote:

Now.. will the DS play movies and such?

Here is a guide on how to use moonshell to view videos. You'll need to convert your movies with dpg tools. But here, check it out: clicky.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Juvinious: I myself was considering posting Allegro to the DS, but am glad to hear that progress has already started. Please, feel free to contact me if any more assistance is desired. I am not overly familiar with the code of the Allegro library, and have only done a few projects on the DS, but I have plenty of free time on my hands with nothing but programming to occupy my time.

spork222
Member #7,263
May 2006

PaLib rules all. DSLua is ok too.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Alright, so which smart card should I get? Can any of you homebrewers for DS recommend a nice one? I'd like to work on Allegro/DS, maybe mess around with it some, try out moonshell, etc.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Get a PSP with an old firmware.

It will act as a :

SNES, NES, Genesis, N64, etc emulator.
PS1 emulator ! (new)
Homebrew launcher
Video viewer
Mp3 player
Web browser

So if you plan to use it for retrogaming (with games you own of course) it's a jewel.
The actual PSP games are mostly crap tough.

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Other than the PS1, the DS already emulates all and more systems mentioned, has a web browser, an mp3 player, and video player. As for a homebrew launcher, I would recommend a SuperCard of the MiniSD variety for a regular DS or the SuperCard Lite for the DS Lite. I would recommend buying the one containing RAM rather than a rumble feature, as the extra RAM comes in very handy when running applications (ie, not games) such as web browsers, Linux, etc. As for a passcard, I advise PassCard 3, as it is, other than the sticker, the exact same thing as a SuperKey for a bit lower of a price.

This assortment of products will work perfectly without any bugs or issues present in other arrangements (the M3 passcard has issues with not waking up from sleep mode upon reopening of the DS and the MMX doesn't support GBFS, to name a few) and will not stick out of the DS, as the SuperCard SD and SuperCard CF do, for a rather low price (I paid about $60 from WINSUNX however, they have a weird payment system) however, will require you to use both the DS and GBA slots of the DS in order to run anything. I am unfamiliar with DS slot only hardware, such as the new DS-Xtreme or the new SuperCard DS(ONE), so I can't be of much assistance in telling you how well they work; however, I can say that anything I have heard about slot 1 only options other than those two have not been all that positive, ranging from slow transfer speed to poor build (too thick or thin).

I hope that was enough information to aid in some form of informed decision.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

I like the GP2X. It operates with normal AA batteries and normal SD cards.
And the coolest thing: it runs Linux and it has USB LAN, so you can ping it, telnet into it (bash console), install a Samba or Web server on it, etc.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I ended up with a Black DS Lite, so I was hoping for a black (not white) SuperCard. Do they make them?

[edit]
Nevermind, I see that they do.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

My Supercard is blue :)

I still want a GP2x when I have the spare cash. the cpus are mucho faster (200Mhz instead of 16Mhz) and the screen is 320x240 which is much more Allegro friendly.

I'll probably get a 2nd DS first tho, for linky-uppy fun.

1   2   3 

Go to: