Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Everlands-Techdemo: good enough?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Everlands-Techdemo: good enough?
imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Hi fellow Allegroids! :)

I have more or less finished a technical demonstration of my game "Everlands" (former "Townsmen"). It is an RTS very similar to "Settlers" or "Anno". You can download the techdemo here:

Link to techdemo-download (resource-files + windows binary)

This demo includes two short tutorials and one short mission. I have two reasons for posting it here:

1.) I would like to "hire" a pixel-artist from one of the various forums (http://www.pixeljoint.com for example). But before I can do that, I need something to show and this is what I have so far. Do you think it is enough to attract an artist who will work with me on this? Unfortunately, I am not in the place of offering any money.
2.) Of course, I would like to receive some feedback from the allegro.cc-community on the game itself. So tell me what you think! :)
Basically, tell me if you have any problems getting it to work and how it plays. Did I forget to include a library? Are the tutorials helpful? Is the mission too hard/easy or long/short? Things like that... :)

Here is a rather recent screenshot showing a scene from the first tutorial:
http://www.imaxcs.com/everlands/screenshots/screenshot_12.jpg

For the Linux people:
Here is a precompiled executable (Gentoo) so you will need both the file above and this one:

Link to Linux binary

Sorry, but I don't want to make the code public yet.

Thanks for your time! :)

edit: is it that bad? :(

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

It's probably good, but I don't have Linux. That is probably the one downside of not releasing the source.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

And... usually Linux binaries are very unportable. I wouldn't expect to find an artist with a Linux binary. :-/

The graphics don't look that bad to me though

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

There is a windows binary at the top of the post. :P

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Oh. Heh, ignore me :P

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Pretty good! A little hard to understand, and it says use w+left click, but you really need to use w+right click.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

1) I was messing about in the tutorial, and I managed (by clicking on a building) to lose the instructions for what to do next, so I was stuck. Could you put instructions like this as an overlay on the main window, in a bigger clearer font? (see Age of Mythology for how I mean)

2) The men could move a little faster (and the map be a little bigger). I think the map should scroll when the mouse is near the edge of the map view, rather than the edge of the whole window

3) I like in AoM how if you hover over a tree, the cursor changes to an axe, so if you left click the selected men go and chop it. In my game, there may be more than one option (e.g. you can chop a tree down, or coppice it) which will be chosen by the mouse wheel

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

It has potential.

I think the comments mentioned above are pretty good and the same problems/annoyances that I came across. My main thing is, don't say "by clicking right on the castle." This is kind of a casual style of speaking, like "look right over there", which doesn't mean "look to the right." If you mean to right click, then please say "by right clicking on the castle." Just a little annoyance. :)

Also, "gonna" seems out of place and unprofessional. I'd change that to "going to" or something of equal value.

Your 'y's look like 'v's because the tails are getting cut off.

I went all the way through the first tutorial and then tried to click on the second tutorial and the program shut down.

Sometimes, when I'd move the mouse to the edge of the screen, it wouldn't scroll...this may have to do with the tutorial text being up, but I think controls should still act normally.

That's my bit of nit-picking. Honestly, I like the feel and flow of the game, it's both common and unique. Keep up the good work. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

The engine works pretty well. I couldn't finish the real "mission" because there are so many buildings and absolutely no indication what they are, so I only wasted resources. I guess when my resources are 0 I have no way to recover. Can't destroy/sell a building ?

I don't know if it's important to put big work in tutorials: The first one can be summarized as "Left-click to select, Right-click to set destination"
Overall, an HTML reference of buildings and units would be perfect to me.

The program defaults to windowed mode, which is annoying when you can only scroll the view by pointing at the edges.
There are many things that could be done to improve the user-friendliness of the interface. IMO, the essential ones are about explaining the elements of your game: selected character's current job, and buildings' names. Until the player is familiar with a building's appearance, only the name will help him understand what he can/should do with it.

How will the player know if he is doing good ? Players will probably need some reports/status screen, especially since this is real-time: they won't have the time to scroll all around, searching for peons who are idling after finishing their last job.

The overall graphics is high-quality, and everything fits nicely. If you need more buildings/units, it will not be easy to find an artist who can match the style.

When you'll have the time, it would be nice to add sounds of activities. Chopping trees, whistling workers, reaping wheat... they will make the town more lively.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Thanks for all your replies! They really help me a lot because I am so fixated on this project that I start losing what's important for the player. ::)

Quote:

1) I was messing about in the tutorial, and I managed (by clicking on a building) to lose the instructions for what to do next, so I was stuck. Could you put instructions like this as an overlay on the main window, in a bigger clearer font? (see Age of Mythology for how I mean)

Very good idea! Like, the instructions should stay until the step is accomplished?

Quote:

2) The men could move a little faster (and the map be a little bigger).

About the men... you might have seen the two labels "XP" and "Level" when you have selected one or more. These are the indicators for the experience, the townsmen have in a certain job. When one has enough experience, he levels and gets better. For example, a faster walk! :)

Quote:

I think the map should scroll when the mouse is near the edge of the map view, rather than the edge of the whole window

But hitting the edge of the map view is rather hard (especially at the top and bottom). And besides, many game do it that way...

Quote:

3) I like in AoM how if you hover over a tree, the cursor changes to an axe, so if you left click the selected men go and chop it. In my game, there may be more than one option (e.g. you can chop a tree down, or coppice it) which will be chosen by the mouse wheel

Is dedefinitelylanned! The whole "keypress + click"-system will be gone. :)

Quote:

don't say "by clicking right on the castle."

Quote:

then please say "by right clicking on the castle."

I lost you there! ;)

Quote:

Also, "gonna" seems out of place and unprofessional. I'd change that to "going to" or something of equal value.

Quote:

Your 'y's look like 'v's because the tails are getting cut off.

Will be changed!

Quote:

I went all the way through the first tutorial and then tried to click on the second tutorial and the program shut down.

Oh darnit! That's exactly the thing I didn't want to happen. Things working on on computer and not on another. Could you tell me your specs?

Quote:

Sometimes, when I'd move the mouse to the edge of the screen, it wouldn't scroll...this may have to do with the tutorial text being up, but I think controls should still act normally.

If I would allow map-scrolling in every situation of the tutorials, I would need to set the camera back after every task, wouldn't I?

Quote:

The engine works pretty well. I couldn't finish the real "mission" because there are so many buildings and absolutely no indication what they are, so I only wasted resources. I guess when my resources are 0 I have no way to recover. Can't destroy/sell a building ?

You are right on this! I can't assume that people know what buildings there are and what they are for. But selling buildings is dedefinitelylanned (you can destroy them already, but you don't get anything for it)

Quote:

I don't know if it's important to put big work in tutorials: The first one can be summarized as "Left-click to select, Right-click to set destination"
Overall, an HTML reference of buildings and units would be perfect to me.

I didn't want to bore the people who check out the demo with an HTML reference...

Quote:

The program defaults to windowed mode, which is annoying when you can only scroll the view by pointing at the edges.

There is an options-button in the main-menu! (Not in the in-game menu, yet)

Quote:

How will the player know if he is doing good ? Players will probably need some reports/status screen, especially since this is real-time: they won't have the time to scroll all around, searching for peons who are idling after finishing their last job.

A report is planned! But peons don't "finish" a job, they work on it until you tell them to do something different.

Quote:

The overall graphics is high-quality, and everything fits nicely. If you need more buildings/units, it will not be easy to find an artist who can match the style.

I don't want an artist to add buildings and stuff, I want one who can redo the whole thing! :o

Quote:

When you'll have the time, it would be nice to add sounds of activities. Chopping trees, whistling workers, reaping wheat... they will make the town more lively.

I will definitely! Thanks!

Phew, so many quotes... ;D

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I lost you there!

Most English speaking people will interpret "click right on the castle" as "click directly on the castle", not "click the right-mouse-button on the castle". I'm sure most people would figure it out, but saying "right-click on the castle" will remove any confusion that may arise.

Go to: