Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » IOTD Townsmen: Press space to continue

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IOTD Townsmen: Press space to continue
imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Hi!

Following your advices you gave me concerning the IOTD I posted, here is a new screenshot, which shows a scene of the first tutorial of "Townsmen".

http://www.imaxcs.com/townsmen/screenshots/screenshot_12.jpg

Is it better?

On a sidenote: Do you think I will run into trouble when I release the game under this name? Because there already is an RTS with this name.

Thank you very much. :)

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Over all it looks pretty good. Nice work!

Cutting of the font so that the lower part of the p, y and other letters isn't visible doesn't look very good. Also much more variation in the grass would be nice. And some softer borders at different heights. The edges look very artificial and sharp around the stream.

And yes I think you might get into trouble if you release it under the current name. I'm sure you can think of something unique which is good. :)

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Quote:

Over all it looks pretty good. Nice work!

Thank you! I really hope I can finish this... :D

Quote:

Cutting of the font so that the lower part of the p, y and other letters isn't visible doesn't look very good.

Yes you are right, I will change that.

Quote:

Also much more variation in the grass would be nice. And some softer borders at different heights. The edges look very artificial and sharp around the stream.

I don't think I can do anything about it myself because I am no graphic artist. ME WANTS A GRAPHIC ARTIST!!!one :-X

Quote:

And yes I think you might get into trouble if you release it under the current name. I'm sure you can think of something unique which is good. :)

How about ... erm ... "Townsman"?

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

imaxcs: You can't copyright a title, and since that one doesn't appear to be trademarked (otherwise it would say Townsmen(TM) 3) it's technically safe, I think.

One of the problems with the art style is that the different perspectives don't mesh well - the terrain is from an overhead perspective while the wheat and peasants and buildings and trees are more like 3/4 perspective. This worked in Zelda, but here it just looks odd, unfortunately. If you fix that, it will make the game look better, I think.

--
~Goodbytes

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Well, the former grass tile was probably painful to the eyes when panning the view.

IMO there's no need to tweak the UI further : Code and test, then you'll see which actions are often used and need more accessible buttons, etc.
If the gameplay is addictive, players will forget the simplicity of graphics. (for a few months, at least)
If it's not... working for hours to finalize the graphics will be unrewarded.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

I don't think I can do anything about it myself because I am no graphic artist. ME WANTS A GRAPHIC ARTIST!!!one :-X

If that's "programmers art" and you plan on replacing it anyway then you shouldn't focus on it. When you have a nearly finished game look up some graphic artist, I'm sure lots will be interested.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

I think it would be much easier to get artists' interest if you make the current "demo" available.
Also, ideally, put your graphical data in a readable format (like all tiles on a PCX file) so they can be changed externally.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Thanks for your comments! :)

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Kent has a good point. There aren't many people who will go with you on a project from the start unless they know you very well. However, if it is looking like it will be a sure bet to do well and that the leadership is good (this assessment based on the progress of the current game, or on past games from the current author(s)), then lots more people will have a lot more interest.

This type of thing happened to me when I developed my Mega Monkey Mayhem project. That project was actually done start to finish in only 10 weeks, which sounds almost unbelievable, even though we were able to use the engine from Super IsoBomb and the 3D renderer from the Xundar project. It worked as well as it did because of all of the people invovled thought that the project would go somewhere (we were submitting to the IGF) -- somewhere far enough that it could have a significant impact on their careers. When it moved beyond the "hobby/fun" point, it started to explode pretty quick.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Go to: