Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » .kkrieger

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
.kkrieger
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Has anyone checked out this?

The beta for chapter 1 of this 3D game is a measly 96Kb! I'd love to try it myself, but by gfx card isn't good enough.

Here's a screenshot from their gallery:

{"name":"full4.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f0b03417d96e3f366d5d1f881678f63e.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f0b03417d96e3f366d5d1f881678f63e"}full4.jpg

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I tried it a year or two ago. While the small size of the game is indeed very impressive, the game itself is pretty boring compared to other 3D shooters.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Must be because your video card doesn't support Pixel Shading.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I tried it a year or two ago. While the small size of the game is indeed very impressive, the game itself is pretty boring compared to other 3D shooters.

I was wondering more about the quality and speed of the rendering. I wouldn't really expect much gameplay from an engine demo.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I wouldn't really expect much gameplay from an engine demo.

Ah, that would explain most PC FPSs!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Kkrieger is about procedural textures and models which are pre-calculated. I would have been impressed if they were calculated in real time.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Kkrieger is about procedural textures and models which are pre-calculated. I would have been impressed if they were calculated in real time.

For a game like that, there is no functional difference. Procedural generation is procedural generation, nothing less.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Damn, you people suck at trolling.

You don't deserve my sig.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

WAIT!

... Does that mean we are trolling and are being excellent trolls, or we can't troll very well?

Quote:

the game itself is pretty boring compared to other 3D shooters.

But this game has awesome graphics!

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Just out of curiosity, how is this possible? Just the textures of the game would have to be like +1mb, and all the game is 96kb? Am I missing some super compression or something?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Instead of storing the graphics, the graphics editor stores the brush strokes used to create them. Also it uses a modified version o UPX compression.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I imagine they also apply several filters (blur, noise, etc.. like you would in Photoshop) along the way to get the finished textures.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Yep. the tool stores all the phases of the drawing process and the loader then reconstructs the texture from that information.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Isn't Spore going to do something similar?

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

kkrieger just generates the textures, models and sound effects and stores them in memory. That way the executable is only 96kb, but it needs more than 300MB of memory.

It would've been great if they had finished it, but they only released the beta, got a lot of appreciation from the demo scene and left off.

Quote:

when will the final version be ready?
we plan to release it in late July or early August.

This is from their FAQ. More than two years have passed and I dare to ask: which year?
-- --

Quote:

Isn't Spore going to do something similar?

Spore is going to be just a weak clone of SimLife.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Everyone had read Slashdot yesterday, right? :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yup!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

I was wondering more about the quality and speed of the rendering.

It's slow, even on my FX5900(which admittedly is a bit old, but the demo is also from 2004). The "felt" framerate must be around 25 per second, the quality is worse than QuakeIII but that could be a models and textures issue and might be unrelated to the engine. It's all very dark and brown/gray/dark yellow-beige-ish are about the only color variations to see in that demo.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

For a game like that, there is no functional difference. Procedural generation is procedural generation, nothing less.

If you can do procedural production of textures and models in real time, then a virtual world could have much more variety.

Imagine an 64-bit computer with 64 GB of memory and how rich its games could be...no team of artists can fill that massive amount of memory with data.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

with 64 GB of memory

I thought having that much memory would have adverse effects? Or maybe that's the cache...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Quote:

Everyone had read Slashdot yesterday, right?

Hrm, interesting article :)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

with 64 GB of memory

And combine that with quadchanned FBDIMM using 2GHz DDR3 modules to get that 64GB streamed through CPU at least twice per second* :P
*) assuming 100% efficiency in data transfers.

You want to see something awesome? Check this out (SSE2 capable system required, win32 executable but runs through wine). It is a proof-of-concept realtime ray tracer that is able to trace dynamic scenes. That particular one is really simple one, just four spheres containing 8k triangles and only primary rays. The KD-tree - BVH hybrid data structure gets rebuilt from scrach every frame (1-2ms on 4GHz p4). You can read the performance statistics from the thread. It supports dual CPU's too.

May I (yet again :P) say that RT is what should be The Next Thing in CG ;D

Quote:

Am I any better than the others?

1   2 

Go to: