Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A.cc ChristmasHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A.cc ChristmasHack
Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

OK, I've submitted my entry. It could really use some more maps, so I'll resubmit it if I'll manage to make some more, but 19 maps it has now should provide fun for some time. Still, I'll probably add more maps after the compo. :)

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

I'm back at home, having travelled here today from university, with a copy of my game that I've e-mailed to myself. My parent's computer does not have a compiler installed -- luckily, my game is centered around lua scripts, so I don't need to touch C++ code for the remainder of development. Today I made two new enemy types, a new set of tiles, and much more... I'm working on cutscenes now, and then I have to make a few levels... all-nighter time! Let's see if I can do it!

P.S. no, I'm not going to skip making the cutscenes to spend some actual time on levels. The cutscenes are fun. :)

--
~Goodbytes

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

So the final countdown began. I've woke up to finish my entry. From yesterday I have semi-functionning enemy (he don't want to die properly) and now I'm going to implement the rest of cutted down gameplay. I think I'll finish it on time but the code will not be very polished so I advise everybody not to read it ;D. Still there shouldn't be any memory leaks or any critical bugs, only animation is still a bit buggy but I'm gonna fix it.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

I uploaded a little tech demo since I didn't have time to work on it today, and I really don't want to stay up all night working. :)

I was planning on finishing it up after the contest was over anyways. :)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Again I have to say that I don't care if that game would be crappy/suck at graphics/not finished. I know that somebody tried to finish it. I know that somebody could not finish it, because of broken computer so it's an excuse. To the rest of you: I think that everybody has simmilir meaning about it as me, so all you need is just to show that you were working on it so everybody can see it.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

There, I just made a submission of my one leveled game. It is a nice looking level though, at least in my opinion. I decided to go the route of making a little bit of good looking, well working gameplay, rather than a lot of buggy, ugly gameplay, thus the aforementioned one level. Although, it is somewhat boring and easy, but hey, level 1 of any game normally is. If I can, I will add another level later, but odds are I will still be sleeping when this is over.

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Yeah... I caved and have decided to sleep now. I uploaded a sort of demo. I think it's pretty sweet, but it will be a lot better once I finish it, which shouldn't take too long (but then again, I am lazy :P).

Merry Christmas, everyone!

--
~Goodbytes

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

It seems like a lot of people need extentions, including myself (Christmas shopping and stuff took a lot of time, plus I had finals and came up North.) It also seems silly to end on Friday morning, the first day a lot of us will have time to seriously finish up.

In addition to what Thomas Harte said: Please remember that there are timezones on the + side of GMT, and in these countries the hack actually ends the night before Christmas Eve. Myself, I live in GMT+1, and the hack ends at 17:00 for me.

Most of people don't have time during Christmas themselves, and that includes me. I have to be there to at least salvage the whole thing if something goes wrong, and I am driving 200km into countryside this very evening.

Also, I strongly believe in the argument about those who thought ahead about the schedule feeling cheated. I would certainly feel cheated after pulling an all-night session until 4:30 AM and waking up at 10:00 AM, if I was to find out that I still had one more day and this crunch-fest was for nothing.

We have 9 submissions now, out of 21 participants. That is good - some more people will submit just before the deadline, I'm sure, and even Speedhack has about 50% entry/participant turnout, so we should be pleased :).

I still have to include a menu, sounds, some particle effects, well-done screen and tweak the physics a little/lot, and I have time only till 16:00 (15:00 GMT) (the exam), so I probably won't post much before the hack ends.

Good luck to everyone still trying to finish!

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

5 and half hours left to go! It's 4:30AM for me and I'm posting more to keep my brain from turning off more than anything.

I've still got a long way to go. I've got a list of things in front of me that need work, but it's highly unlikely they will all get done. Nonetheless, I've created an interesting set of AI bots that might make for some interesting combinations. Who knows! I'll probably package everything around 8:00ish and get to work a bit late. ;)

BTW, I finally added some ripped music which really livens it up!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

12 hours left. Better put on Pink Floyd's Time, cause the clock is tickin'.

12 hours is just long enough for a Pink Floyd guitar solo!

Quote:

5 and half hours left to go!

5 and a half hours isn't.

Ho ho ho. No offense meant, obviously. Although I prefer Thom Yorke & Sparklehorse doing Wish You Were Here.

Quote:

Again I have to say that I don't care if that game would be crappy/suck at graphics/not finished. I know that somebody tried to finish it. I know that somebody could not finish it, because of broken computer so it's an excuse. To the rest of you: I think that everybody has simmilir meaning about it as me, so all you need is just to show that you were working on it so everybody can see it.

I agree 100% with this. I think it's incredible that this competition has been put together so quickly, run perfectly and attracted so many volunteers who have been willing to invest their time and energy pursuing someone else's game design ideas.

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

BAF said:

I still vote we extend this until Christmas eve then send the games on Christmas day... but I'm still not sure if I'd have time to finish, but I'd be a lot closer.

I think we should have a... second attempt ;)
Being more descriptive: for the ones who (mostly likely) didn't have time or any other problem that kept them from finishing the game (as they would like to, cause I believe some finished something playable but would like it to be bigger), we could do sort of a second round... just for these ones.
In any case I'm still finishing my game so my partner can get it even if late. :)

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Jakub Wasilewski: I won't be able to submit anything cause of not having anything until I get my HDD back tomorrow. I will finish working on it and send it to the person I was supposed to but it may be actually Christmas when I finish it though.

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Still one hour left to go, my game can't be called a game, I'm trying to polish the menus so it just won't exit after one level or something like that. I wish I had more time or that I didn't spend a lot of time trying to do graphics.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

[edit] Nevermind

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

the rules said:

The main part of the contest starts at 15th Dec 2005, 16:00 GMT and ends at the same time on 23rd.

the xmas hack site said:

Unfortunately, you didn't manage to submit your entry in time. That's a shame. Your partner will still receive a replacement gift, so no worries. Better luck next year!

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ said:

Friday, 23 December 2005
15:41:00 / 3:41:00 p.m.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

There should still be 20 minutes left, but the site says time is already up.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

--
sig used to be here

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

WTF! I tried submitting too, only to be told Its too late. What the heck!

Jakub! Fix it! The server is GMT -5, so there should be 18 minutes left.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

OK, I'm back. My entry is submitted and ready for download, and I certainly hope that the site is ready also.

The jackass professor finished the exam with a sentence in tune with: "I can't understand why did you try to cheat out of the test if you understand the subject.". I think the notion that I never cheated in the first place didn't even cross his mind. Fortunately, he was honorable enough to let me pass with full marks.

We have 12 submissions out of 21 participants now, and still 15 minutes to go. Those who didn't have the luck to have someone submit a game for them will receive the game I submitted instead, so nobody will get nothing.

The question I'd like to ask you is: when should I make the games available publicly? ASAP, or after Christmas, or... your call.

Also, get ready for the A.cc ChristmasHack Super Screenshot Thread (TM). I think I'll let Thomas Harte start that one, he seemed most eager to post his :).

[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I am pretty sure it was ended an hour early, I got that message when I woke up at 10.

Also, Jakub, could you repackage your binary zip with the dlls? Neither the vorbis dlls I have, nor any I can find work with your submission. (vorbis_synthesis_halfrate could not be found) and vorbis.com doesn't make a windows distrobution with makefiles. So I am more or less stuck...

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I'm still in the process of packaging up mine. I don't want an extention or anything, but if I could send it five to ten minutes late, that'd be much appreciated!

It'd be done had I not passed out. sigh

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Argh! I knew something would go wrong if I set it to end at a specified time by itself :\. Those who have seen the false start - please excuse me, the site is even more of a hack than my game.

Stapler:
I think I'm allowed to distribute those DLLs with the game, so I'll repackage right now.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Also, get ready for the A.cc ChristmasHack Super Screenshot Thread (TM). I think I'll let Thomas Harte start that one, he seemed most eager to post his

It is also the "guess which description people got" thread, so I've got it ready to post with a big list of all possible descriptions and two screenshots of my own project - one in game and one at the title screen, with game name removed. I will hit "post" in about 3 minutes...

EDIT: or maybe 8 minutes, from the Allegro.cc clock.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

*starts taking screenshots

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Well, I posted it four minutes early. I figure I don't want to hold anyone else up, and if we've all found out who was making our ideas already anyway...

Now go post screenshots and play the game!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Blah, will it ever end? I hacked for 20 minutes to get this incomplete thing down to 1024 KB zipped, only to find out you count a meg as 1000 KB (which, it is 1024 KB :P). :'(

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Nooo, I forgot to submit a file along with my zip on the hurry, I just hope there's enough time to fix that.

Go to: