Member #6,152
August 2005

I claim the magical 300th post!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

OICW: Yes, Thursday is my first day. CGamesPlay has this whole week off... lucky bastard.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Well, I've had good success bug crushing. In the event that page flipping is in use but a frame needed skipping, I was not drawing another frame but nevertheless requesting a page flip. So you'd get weird stuttering. I've also eased up the timer stuff so that skipping occurs less spuriously, modified a particular visual aspect of my game that was otherwise a little sickening, and achieved a speedup on accelerated DirectX platforms by reading the internal source code of Allegro and learning about some of the hidden surface unlocks contained therein. Oh, and I've added a high resolution display option!

Now that there is a display option, I guess I need some sort of persistance in the setting for that option so I guess I'm not quite finished yet. I'm also toying with persistance of something like a high score, but I'm not really sure it suits the style of game.

There remains one very slight potential drawing issue, but I can't rule in a sufficiently easy fix to be certain of having it corrected. In any case, I severely doubt anyone will really notice it.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

I'm trying to conjure up some vigor in order to proceed further with the gameplay. To ignite my creativity, I wrote a falling snow effect to better the atmosphere. It works out nice :).

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

To ignite my creativity, I wrote a falling snow effect to better the atmosphere. It works out nice

A falling snow effect? I'd steal that idea right now if I thought I could afford the processing!

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Today I hardly worked on anything except some typing job I was doing. The only thing I did for the game was to put a FPS counter (which wasn't work for some very odd reason of allegro) and tested it a bit. Tomorrow I won't work on it at all, but after tomorrow I'll be free, so I'll have 2 days of speedhack to finish everything :).

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

At the end of this event, we should all post screenshots of our project on a new thread (this was mentioned by someone else) and then the rest of us try to guess which descriptions they got based on just the screenshots. If they're easy to guess, then most likely, they did a good job of working off their original descriptions.

------------

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Yarg, I spent an hour yesterday debating whether I should do a different game or not, and if so which one. I'd come up with a cool idea from time to time and then when I went to start it up I didn't because I knew it would take forever to start another project as opposed to just working on what I have :-/
But today I got some more components in my game and I'm finally having some fun with it. :P

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

Quote:

I'm trying to conjure up some vigor in order to proceed further with the gameplay. To ignite my creativity, I wrote a falling snow effect to better the atmosphere.

I always work like that.

Quote:

At the end of this event, we should all post screenshots of our project on a new thread (this was mentioned by someone else) and then the rest of us try to guess which descriptions they got based on just the screenshots. If they're easy to guess, then most likely, they did a good job of working off their original descriptions.

I second that.

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I may not be able to finish it. I'm on my laptop now but the game was being developed on my old 98SE box and the drive crashed. I lost several days work. The laptop had just #include <allegro> on it so now I have to start all over again and pray my memory is good enough to remember the original code.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

That is sad indeed :(

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

I'm a bit disappointed with my game. It's not even close to what I imagined at first. The gameplay is not very exciting and so far the high point are two out of the three sprites that I pixeled (the third one is very bad), which says a lot as I'm not an artist. And I still have no music and sounds, no collisions and no AI... :(

I hope the person I'm making this for doesn't have very high expectations...

--
sig used to be here

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I kind of hit a bump myself. I spent some time making a grass tile that took a long time. Afterwards, I tried to get the collision detection scheme for the player to work with the AI units, but I messed up one calculation that took me a few hours to figure out. It was one of those, "duh" moments. Now I'm really behind, but I'm gonna see how far I can get by tomorrow night to see where I stand for the final stretch. :-/

------------

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I'm stuck on artistic elements... :( everything else seems to be going okay. I'm not sure I went the right direction with my game idea though... I hope I can still make it fun :-/.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I think I'll steal the snowfall effect too. For the time being I need to draw some characters and still don't have music nor sound. And still I'm thinking about different idea but have one big problem with that.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

We're all fucked up, let's just not be that expectative on our gift. I think I'll be able to finish it on time, but I don't know, if the time get's shorter, I don't know...

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Finally, I've got something playable and coded keeping in mind possible future improvements. Now it needs some polish (menus, map scrolling, etc.) and more maps. :) Unfortunately, I won't have too much time, but I think I'll manage to finish it. :)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

The only thing I think I could really do to mine is to add joystick and/or mouse support. I'm not really sold on that though.

It does sound from the things posted that almost everyone else has picked a more complicated idea than me. Mine is constructed in a style that allows me to get away with a minimalist approach to art and aesthetically actually looks quite nice. It also uses a style of play that doesn't rely on a series of individually constructed levels but rather on the variance of certain factors within a single framework. I wish I could post a teaser picture, but I daren't.

Quote:

I would go for this! Presumably we could post screenshots + who they're for since there is no way to match participants to game descriptions on the site.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

It does sound from the things posted that almost everyone else has picked a more complicated idea than me.

I don't think necessarily more "complicated." It's mainly the things I've never done before that I have to research and test. I wish I could get the engine finished so I could focus on the actual game play!

------------

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I don't think necessarily more "complicated."

Obviously we shall see, but if I exclude sound effects then my entire source + graphics (which are actually source embedded) ZIP archive is 28 kB and the project includes all the gameplay + a title and attract screen, a screen explaining controls, two little introductory segments before each section of gameplay and another two little segments that may sometimes play - one of which being the game over screen. Only with sound does it get up to near 300 kB. I could fit all three major OS binaries (Windows, Linux, OS X) and all data into a single ZIP file and still be below the original 1,000,000 byte barrier!

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

My unzipped source now is at 80kb.(Only code)

Quote:

It does sound from the things posted that almost everyone else has picked a more complicated idea than me.

I don't think my idea is complicated, it's completely classic and have been done several times before, just not by me :)

EDIT: 11kb ziped :)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Obviously we shall see

Indeed. ;)

Of course, you're are kicking my butt is comparison of byte-size, but I don't think that's a measurable unit of complexity. :-/

------------

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

My source weighs around 150k unzipped (60k zipped) right now. A lot of it is my generic game framework though. For comparison, I have about 65k of data, but that's without most sounds and I still have no music...

--
sig used to be here

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

I'm gonna have just now 2 hours of time to work on the game, yay :)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I'm gonna have just now 2 hours of time to work on the game, yay

How did it go? I've submitted mine again, this time "definitely" for real. It now has that nice feature that many people like in their games - it will fully explain itself at runtime so you need never ever open the readme!

Go to: