Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Follow-up: Frustration

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Follow-up: Frustration
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ah Legend of Five Rings I've heard of it. The second, I don't fully understand what you mean (I fully understand what does suspended mean, even your reply, but I did'n get the secret meaning), but I think it's allright.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

Ah Legend of Five Rings I've heard of it

Looks like a wanky pretentious yu-gi-oh card to me ;)

Anyway, back on topic, sounds a bit Kimmo can't handle the change from school to real-life to me.

Neil.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Richard Phipps said:

Bob Ross was cool.

Yep and stoned!;D I tried to imitate his style once, slapping colors on the canvas using a wacom tablet. It came out crap, of course:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/DennisTapier/allegroforum/crapross.png
(maybe because i also forgot the "misty areas", the tree does not have a "friend" and there's no "peaceful little path" leading to some "secret place" that "i don't know" but it this is "my world" and i can have what i want there and as X-G already said "maybe it lives there".:))

Neil Walker said:

Anyway, back on topic, sounds a bit Kimmo can't handle the change from school to real-life to me.

Just like me...8-)

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I've said it before and I'll say it again; X-G your art is awesome.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Yes it is! 8-)
I wish I could do that. I'd make a great game in that style. ;D

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

I wish I could do that. I'd make a great game in that style.

And no doubt you'd clam up if people ask you how you did it ;)

Neil.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

I was only trying to help, i should have known better, that it is impossible to help someone with a serious depression.

Actually, I don't think you did too badly. You may have challenged some of his views, but you never took a jab at him. The problem is that the other posts would have put him in a bad frame of mind, so that it doesn't really matter much what you say - it'll all look bad.

The guy spills his guts in front of us, and miran rushes in to get first reply with: "Yeah, you got it so bad. Is there a reason to go on anyway?". Stupid thing to say. His doesn't exactly 'redeem himself' with his second post either. After a blow like that, Kimmo would have started trying to pack his guts back in - if you know what I mean.
Some of our posts were ok, but most of them were just taking jabs at him, and that basically shrouds the whole thing in hostility.
One way to understand what I'm talking about is to imagine we are all in a house together, all of us allegro people - in the flesh. We're just sitting around on the couches, drinking tea, eatting lunch, minding our own business more or less. Kimmo comes in and indicates that he's feeling down. We already know that he is feeling down because we are in the house with him and we can see it, so for him to actually say something about it must mean that it is quite bad. The first comment cuts his skin, so he hits back a little (metaphorically speaking); pretty soon everyone is shouting - so even though some good things are being said, no one really hears them over the shouting.
If it is difficult for you to imagine how the house situation would play out, then prehaps your social skills aren't up to scratch.
To Kimmo, the personal attacks are higher priority than the maybe useful comments. The maybe useful comments require some thought; thought which they will not be getting, because of all the personal attacks hogging the processor.

There are probably a lot of people here who have fairly crappy lives; and one way to deal with a crappy life is to put yourself above others.
It's a bit like the old prisoners' dilemma: if we help each other then we are all better off, but the best result for the individual comes from to backstabbing.

-----------

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

Quote:

one way to deal with a crappy life is to put yourself above others.

Actually, I have a great life because I am above everyone else.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, people probably look at me and are like, "Wow, she's so awesome, I wish I could be like her." Then they pretend to be awesome, even though they'll never be more awesome than I am. It makes sense. I'm everybody's role model.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Ever seen her desktop?

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

NyanKoneko: Are you a foxxxy mama?

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

Quote:

NyanKoneko: Are you a foxxxy mama?

Why yes! Yes I am.

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Prove it! :o The picture in your bio is way too small.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Her desktop. It is good to contemplate it from time to time, to realize how lucky we have been, born male and with taste :-*

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Actually ... I know a guy who would have a desktop like that :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Bob Ross AND Nyan Rule.

edit: Whenever I was flipping channels and His show was on PBS, I'd immediatly stop and gawk at how he can just paint an entire landscape in a half hour...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

This is a screenshot of my new laptop. ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

While we're at it, heres a new screen shot of my dual display setup. Its a little big, 500KB+.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

Wait a minute, you're running linux on one monitor and windows on another... with one computer!?

MY HEAD ASPLODE!!! :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not quite ;) I have a program called krdc (which is using rdesktop, a terminal services client) running full screen on my second monitor, connected to my mini-itx box that has xp running on it :D Its so much more convineient than a KVM or a desk big enough for two sets of mice/keyboards.

Now, once those new CPUs with the virtualization extensions are out and cheap enough, you'll beable to run two OS's like that no problem (thats my guess anyhow).

edit:
What sucks though, is I had to modify krdc to properly fullscreen on my second monitor :( didnt take much though. Which makes me wonder why it wasn't already included...

--

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Nyan: Awww it's so cute! Make sure you don't use the computer though, you might wake it up.

Personally I like to use my second monitor as extra window space. I'll throw stuff over there when I need to see it and something else, such as some web documentation on primary and my code on the second monitor. It's way easier than trying to cram both windows on one screen.
But I also occasionally use Cygwin/X to do a remote desktop of my linux slave machine. Only problem there is that it won't go full screen...

Now let's see here, I better add something useful to this most:

TIP OF THE DAY: SciTE supports tabs, didn'tcha know? Just drag another document on to it and BANG new tab. Good bye MSVC.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Two displays, what a pleasure to have two of them, I want them :'(
That art question I like ilustrations on Magic cards from John Avon. Dennis I like your picture and that one from X-G too.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Karadoc~~ said:

Actually, I don't think you did too badly. You may have challenged some of his views, but you never took a jab at him.

Good to know, i'm not the only one seeing it like that.
I never saw it like you described with the IRL house situation, but that mind-experiment(very cold to call it like that but i don't know a better word), i think could be very accurately describing what has happened here.

also Karadoc~~ said:

There are probably a lot of people here who have fairly crappy lives; and one way to deal with a crappy life is to put yourself above others.
It's a bit like the old prisoners' dilemma: if we help each other then we are all better off, but the best result for the individual comes from to backstabbing.

So true.

William said:

Personally I like to use my second monitor as extra window space.

I used to have two monitors but after some time, i realized i never used the second one and so it got thrown out for the sake of more free desk space.

OICW said:

Dennis I like your picture and that one from X-G too.

Thanks, i also like X-G's art, but telling him, his art is great, used to make him angry(in the past, don't know if it's still like that) and he would say "nah, it's not, here's a flaw, there's a flaw, flaws everywhere".;D

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

I also like X-G's art, but telling him, his art is great, used to make him angry

That's why I have only said that I like it ;)

Go to: