Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » OpenGL vs Allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
OpenGL vs Allegro
Dustin Gibson
Member #6,024
July 2005

My friend wanted me to open this thread. He is an expert OpenGL (which I never heard of :-/) programmer. I told him about Allegro (which he never heard of). He just wanted to know which is better and why.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

The both serve different purposes. OpenGL only handles graphics, while Allegro handles graphics, sound, input, and other stuff. OpenGL is a bit lower level than Allegro's more-used functions, too. In fact, AllegroGL maps most Allegro graphics functions to OpenGL calls.. providing some of the acceleration provided by OpenGL through Allegro's functions.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Dustin Gibson
Member #6,024
July 2005

I am sorry, I posted on the wrong sub-topic.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Also, if he really where an expert in OpenGL he would know the relation between it, DirectX and other graphic libraries that merely acts as another layer of abstraction.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

OpenGL is good, but variables are better.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

True! But which variable is the best one?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What's wrong with asking, "What is Allegro, and is it any good?" Clearly, if you knew nothing about Allegro, that would be a perfectly valid question (regardless of your expertise). It's entirely possible that he didn't word it exactly like the original poster did.

Quote:

That's irrelevent, as long as it points to the frame buffer. ;)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

This is the best variable:

int n;

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

No, this one is better:

int i;

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

int eger;

So much better than i and n.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

UltimateType TheBestVariableInAllExistanceIsThisOneRightHereThatYouAreCurrentlyReadingAtThisMomentInTimeThatCould
GoOnForAsLongAsIFeelLikeTypingThisUpAndDontRunOutOfThingsToSayAboutTheBestUltimateVariableOfAllTime;

Edward Sheets
Member #4,734
June 2004

Dammit, Heatley! I think you broke my browser with that friggin long variable name! ;)

---

Note: carving a pentagram on the top of a container of spoiled yogurt does not summon a yogurt demon. -Kikaru

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Not my fault the variable is so ultimate it overloads your browser.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

you people know nothing.

int milk, great;

Neil.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

Quote:

Variables are for n00bs. Use HTML instead.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

No, I think Linux is far better than HTML.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

My friend wanted me to open this thread. He is an expert OpenGL (which I never heard of :-/) programmer. I told him about Allegro (which he never heard of). He just wanted to know which is better and why.

Allegro offers more than graphical output. Your friend might use DirectX for everything else (input,sound,network) - but why not use Allegro to make it cross compatible (it uses DirectX in Windows anyway).

S/He can use AllegGL to allow him/her to use OpenGL alongside Allegro's other functions.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

int olerant;
"How many allegroites does it take to change a light bulb?"
"I think the question is wrong, I think he forgot to ask what it should be changed to. A candle?"
"You can't compare light bulbs with candles!"
"Yes, you can. Just do a typecast."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I use:

int a;

See, that works. I wouldn't like to use:

for(TheBestVariableInAllExistanceIsThisOneRightHereThatYouAreCurrentlyReadi
ngAtThisMomentInTimeThatCouldGoOnForAsLongAsIFeelLikeTypingThisUpAndDontRun
OutOfThingsToSayAboutTheBestUltimateVariableOfAllTime = 0; TheBestVariableInAllExistanceIsThisOneRightHereThatYouAreCurrentlyReadingAt
ThisMomentInTimeThatCouldGoOnForAsLongAsIFeelLikeTypingThisUpAndDontRunOutO
fThingsToSayAboutTheBestUltimateVariableOfAllTime < 10; TheBestVariableInAllExistanceIsThisOneRightHereThatYouAreCurrentlyReadingAt
ThisMomentInTimeThatCouldGoOnForAsLongAsIFeelLikeTypingThisUpAndDontRunOutO
fThingsToSayAboutTheBestUltimateVariableOfAllTime++)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You guys are thinking about it completely wrong. I use:

int ;

It's hard to see because it's half of a character. But I only have to press half of a key to use it! Double the efficiency!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: