Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Demo game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Demo game
Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

I think I'll create a "summer games" like game as a first demo game using the template.

Heh, wagglemania ahoy!

This sounds like a good idea though. What I'd also like to see is a good (professionalish) Allegro logo. Maybe it's high time for someone to organize a competition about that?

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Wasn't there one competition like that already?

Yes, I found the results.

[EDIT] Personally, I like this:

02.png

-R

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

That's the image I use normally:
{"name":"allegro.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53743769a810134207c7893a603c9fd5.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53743769a810134207c7893a603c9fd5"}allegro.jpg

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

but I practice putting my code into .cpp files so I can evily declare variables anywhere I want

Well, that has nothing to do with OOP (nor does writing C++ have anything to do with OOP - it's a style of programming, not a language feature) and C99 allows this too. That said, Allegro code is pre-C99 and declaring variables halfway a function is evil and ugly anyway.

Quote:

I'd love to see alex take a bite out of the SDL logo... Can we do this? or is there some kind of copyright on their logo?

I don't know if we can, but I sure think that we shouldn't. Never mind how funny it is or if it's intended in good spirit or not, we don't want to come off as bashing SDL. Ultimately, that's not going to do Allegro any good, and there's room for both libraries to coexist anyway.
Does SDL have some sort of mascot? If so, having a two player game where one player controls Alex and the other controls the SDL mascot would be ok in my opinion - but maybe we should ask for permission.

Quote:

I'll add an allegro logo and a scrolling credits screen and a hiscore display function.

Something I remembered when I looked at the contents of demo.dat: the sample of Shawn saying `welcome to Allegro'. I think we should keep that.

Other than that, sounds great! I've seen some very good and interesting ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

That said, Allegro code is pre-C99 and declaring variables halfway a function is evil and ugly anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. Just like goto, it has its time and place.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

no, it still ugly ;) and its easy to loose a defns if theyre intersperced in the code... Or so I find.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I think that if you have big functions that declaring a variable only in it's scope of usage can be cleaner in some situations, but in others yes it can be evil and ugly... yet convienient -- which is not what I should be striving for in this project...

wish list for template: make the menu have sub menus in it for key customization/mouse sensitivity/joy calib/joy etc, and that the menu can be navigated by key/mouse/joy...

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Could we postpone the coding guideline wars? Or move them to another forum? It's hard to believe how easy it is to derail a thread here...

--

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

You've been on a.cc since september 2001 and you still find it hard to believe? ;-)

Marcello

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Quote:

That's the image I use normally:

I like it. Maybe the "A" could be left out though, so it says just "Allegro Game Programming Library".. sounds somehow better to me. Like it's not just any game programming library, but the game programming library. Or don't know - the "A" just sounds odd to me. Could just be me though :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Llegro? ;-)

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

I like it. Maybe the "A" could be left out though, so it says just "Allegro Game Programming Library"

Marcello, look again: it says Allegro A game programming library, he wants it changed to Allegro Game Programming Library; I like the idea, and second it. 8-)

edit: hey sc-- I'm looking at the template you posted, and I noticed some odd things right off the bat, in the for loop in hiscore_init, you do ++a instead of a++, what is the significance of this -- from what I understand, in this context, I think I would be correct in guessing nothing would be different? Sorry that my code-fu is not up to date...

edit: as far as gfx/sfx being compatable with the allegro license, I belive allegro is the only thing I've ever seen released as "gift ware" or whatever it is (or am I confused...?) -- is the GPL compatable with the allegro license?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

is the GPL compatable with the allegro license?

No.
It is in the sense that you can use both Allegro and GPL stuff in your game, and your game would then be GPL too since Allegro doesn't care and GPL requires it. But obviously, we can't include GPLed code or artwork in Allegro.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I genereally prefer ++a if it wouldn't make a difference. As you say, it makes no difference, so why do you think it's odd? ;)

Regarding the "a":

______   ___    ___
    /\  _  \ /_ \  /_ \
    \ \ \L\ \//\ \ //\ \      __     __   _ __   ___ 
     \ \  __ \ \ \ \  \ \ \   /'__`\ /'_ `/\`'__/ __`\
      \ \ /\ \ _\ _ _\ _/\  __//\ \L\ \ \ //\ \L\ \
       \ _\ _/____/____\ ____\ ____ \ _\\ ____/
        /_//_//____//____//____//___L\ /_/ /___/
                                       /____/
                                       _/__/     Version 4.1.18 (WIP)

A game programming library.

By Shawn Hargreaves, Jan 23, 2005.

See the AUTHORS file for a
               complete list of contributors.

But it wouldn't bea problem to remove the "a".

--

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I dunno, a splash screen is different than documentation saying "Allegro Game Programming Library" in a splash screen looks cooler than "Allegro A game programming library" -- but that's just MHO...

Quote:

I genereally prefer ++a if it wouldn't make a difference. As you say, it makes no difference, so why do you think it's odd?

I usually see a++, etc, and I was just wondering if I had interpreted that wrong, but I was guessing I hadn't, and oh nevermind... just making sure I wasn't missing something... I'm going to sleep now! :P

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Hm, or as mentioned in that other thread, it actually could be called "multimedia library".

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Maybe the allegro logo should be some flashy version of the ascii art.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

Or spinning, rotating vectors! :D A demoscene style Allegro splash would be impressive.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

Hm, or as mentioned in that other thread, it actually could be called "multimedia library".

I was kind of going after something that sounded cool to newbs instead of something truthful -- I should either go into advertising or politics... or maybe just sell used cars...

I wont fight the "A" anymore -- I submit.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Anyone have a program for recording what you type in. So you can run a replay of the writing process, like some c64 demos and such...

Would be cool to present the allegro ascii like that. ;D

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I've updated the code to 4.1.18. I've added a scroller. Guess that's it for the template. I'll now start to write a summer olympics game using the template.

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Are you going to include the throw the javelin game? I like that one.. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Oh, I wonder if I can use one of those old NES running pads for the game? hehe.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Umm, were you going to share the template with us? or did you decide just to do only one demo game, yourself? (did I miss a post?)

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I wasn't sure if
- I should upload the file
- I should post the file
- nobody cares

I'm also unsure if I should split the file into several (hiscores, scroller, template) source and header iles (as I would normally do) or if it would be better to leave it as one big chunky source.

--

Go to: