Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » how do you pronounce 'Java'?

Credits go to BAF, Billybob, Bruce Perry, Evert, gillius, gnolam, Indeterminatus, Jeremy McCleese, jhuuskon, Karadoc ~~, kazzmir, Kitty Cat, Kris Allen, Matt Smith, nonnus29, OICW, Paul Pridham, PyroBoy, Rampage, Rash, ReyBrujo, Richard Phipps, Ron Ofir, and X-G for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
how do you pronounce 'Java'?
Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Quote:

[quote2]
No its pronounced 'pointer scare me so I made this language without them'.
[/quote2]
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Java+DOES+have+pointers%22&btnG=Google+Search

Yup, it does have pointer which are called reference objects or something like that. It's just that they are well hidden.

Quote:

I belive it was going to be called Oak after a tree outside one of the developers windows but that name was allready being used in the software world for somthing else so they named it after a brand of coffee called "Java".

Quote:

Why is it called Java?
Originally called Oak by Gosling because of the tree outside his office window.
Oak had been used before so Java was selected.

:P

Quote:

We spell it here the way it is written

;D

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Nonnus29: and said Java coder described the game I'm currently working on as "excellent" yesterday. Nuff said ;D

Me happy \o/

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

The correct pronunciation is, of course, the natural way I would pronounce Java :P
Though I suspect it would render in English as Yava.

Quote:

I had 2 Latin teachers who couldn't agree how to pronounce 'ego'

I'd pronounce it (trying to transcribe to English) a-go, with a soft `g' as in English. Ego is also used as a Dutch word and there I'd pronounce it with a hard g (as in Scottish loch): a-cho.

Quote:

How do you say Jugoslavia?

Yugoslavia, with the u as an oo in good and a hard g.

Quote:

How do you say Javier? (or Xavier, X-Man fans)

Something like Yavi-e, though I'm not sure how to transcribe it in English. I'd pronounce it as French.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

(To Richard)
Aww, that would spoil the surprise! :-[

Anyway you've got more than enough ideas of your own, right? ;)

[EDIT]
I never say "Xavier". I don't know anyone called it. If forced to say it I'd probably say "KSavier" just for kicks, and wait to be corrected. :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ben: :P

So this is a non-work game? ;)

It's still Coffee. ;D

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's a work game. :P

--
The brxybrytl has you.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Sheesh, BP won't give us any info.

What's with the allegroites that start working in the industry then clam up? (Shawn, korval, Bruce Perry, who am I forgetting?)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Though I suspect it would render in English as Yava.

I've always heard java as jah-vah (emphasis on first syllable). If it was from another language and supposed to be pronounced Yah-vah, it should've been written as Yava in English. It's almost as bad as seeing Jesus and being told to pronounce it hey-zues.

Quote:

I'd pronounce it (trying to transcribe to English) a-go, with a soft `g' as in English.

It's pronounced ee-goh (long e, and like the verb go). :)

Quote:

Something like Yavi-e, though I'm not sure how to transcribe it in English. I'd pronounce it as French.

People here pronounce it Ek-zay-vee-er. Although then you have Xena which is pronounce Zee-nuh..

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Xavier should probably be pronounced like Xena, xylophone, xenophobe, xerox, et cetera — Zavier. Ego is ee-goh in English, straighforward in Swedish (yet I can't accurately transcribe it... it's neither ee-goh nor eh-goh). Java is jah-vah, like Jaweh or Jesus or Jack. If it's spelt with a J in English, it should be pronounced like J's normally are in English, eh?

EDIT: Actually, I can't think of a single word in English beginning with X where it's pronounced "ecks", except for words like "X-ray", where the X is distinct and not part of the word as such.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

It's almost as bad as seeing Jesus and being told to pronounce it hey-zues.

The original spelling would be Iesus (or Iesos, possibly). Anyway, the first sound should definitable by a j-sound.

Quote:

long e

That's what I meant, but for some weird reason you English types write a long e sound as an a :P
I meant the e sound as in é: é-go. Perhaps the Greek εγο is less ambiguous.

Quote:

People here pronounce it Ek-zay-vee-er.

Well, a friend of mine pronounces it ksavir...
By the way, I'd pronounce Xavier different from Javier, personally. Javier as Yavi-e, Xavier more as kSavi-e, with a clear S sound and a weak k (or g) sound.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I always used to pronounce Xavier as X-Zavi-Er.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

Professor X is an exception, but otherwise I go with the Spanish pronunciation ("khavier")...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

LSd016
Member #3,561
May 2003

Quote:

Yoogoswavya ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You Go Slaw Vee ah.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

What's with the allegroites that start working in the industry then clam up? (Shawn, korval, Bruce Perry, who am I forgetting?)

Nice try. If you're that interested in Jagex, why not apply for a job? Then I get a big fat recruitment bonus. Yay. ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

psycho
Member #5,042
September 2004

Hey, I pronounce it "Iawa"
or "Jawa" if you spell the 'J'
like in German.

Somewhere in Australia are the "Java Isles",
so ask a Geographics teacher...

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Somewhere in Australia are the "Java Isles"

If you meant the continent it belongs to, that's properly called Oceania. The land is the former Dutch East Indies, Indonesia for over fifty years now.
Java is one of the large islands of Indonesia (I think second largest, after Borneo).

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Jawa is a Czech motorcycle manufacturer known for its extremely crappy quality.

You don't deserve my sig.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Jawa are also the little hooded guys in Star Wars.

The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. The spice exists only on one planet...

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Quote:

so ask a Geographics teacher...

Our world studies teacher (geography) is the worst at pronouncing everything. He mispronounces almost every name. He is a great teacher though.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Credits go to BAF, Bruce Perry, Evert, gillius, gnolam, Indeterminatus, Jeremy McCleese, jhuuskon, jorram, Karadoc ~~, kazzmir, Kitty Cat, Kris Allen, MattSmith, nonnus29, OICW, Paul Pridham, PyroBoy, Rash, ReyBrujo, Richard Phipps, Ron Ophir, William Heatley, and X-G for helping out!

We have hit a new record... and yet surprisingly, I'm not on the list. >:(

I pronouce it jah-vah. There, I contributed. Can I get a cookie? ;)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

1   2 

Go to: